McLaren Life banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well signing early with contract escape clauses if there was lack of car performance may be ok. Also driver salaries will not be capped. Would not be surprised if Honda is also contributing to Verstappen’s remuneration.
My guess Verstappen would have a mid $20M F1 salary now. And would earn additional from advertising.

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Good interview with Peter Wright. The one overtaking problem neither he nor Windsor touched on is that nowadays not only are the cars hyper-sensitive to the disturbed air generated by the car ahead, they are also designed specifically to create the maximum possible disturbed air for the car behind.

·
2016 650S Spider
175 Posts
A question for veteran F1 race attendees: A couple of family members and myself plan to attend one of the F1 races (our first time) in 2020, probably in the second half of the year. I'm looking for suggestions as to which venue to choose and whether to opt for pit passes, etc. (e.g., with McLaren).

Which races do you feel offer the best spectator experience?

What are the best deals for getting an upgraded experience (e.g., pit access)?

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
A question for veteran F1 race attendees: A couple of family members and myself plan to attend one of the F1 races (our first time) in 2020, probably in the second half of the year. I'm looking for suggestions as to which venue to choose and whether to opt for pit passes, etc. (e.g., with McLaren).

Sir,

I have not replied to your question (but presumed that others would) because, although I attended my first F1 event in 1974 and have been going to other races since before then, these days I would never go to an F1 race.
The crowds, the traffic, the weather, the bad food - none of that exactly appeals. For me the main problem, however, is that at a "road race" you only see a small fraction of the entire circuit. Overtaking in F1 is rare enough as it is, but if your seat location means that you won't be able to see 80% of the overtakes that do occur, and at the same time you cannot see what is happening in the pits where, in the current formula, so many of the crucial moves take place, the question one asks oneself is, "Why again did I come here, instead of getting a 10x better experience at home for free?"

Fwiw, I would suggest a richer experience would be available at a 24-hour sports car race, where you can go into the pits during the race, talk with the drivers, be around true fans rather than the fair-weather types, and soak up a far nicer, more honest atmosphere. The Nurburgring 24 Hours would be best, but the Spa 24 is also excellent. Maybe Daytona 24 if you like sand and swamps.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Sir,

I have not replied to your question (but presumed that others would) because, although I attended my first F1 event in 1974 and have been going to other races since before then, these days I would never go to an F1 race.
The crowds, the traffic, the weather, the bad food - none of that exactly appeals. For me the main problem, however, is that at a "road race" you only see a small fraction of the entire circuit. Overtaking in F1 is rare enough as it is, but if your seat location means that you won't be able to see 80% of the overtakes that do occur, and at the same time you cannot see what is happening in the pits where, in the current formula, so many of the crucial moves take place, the question one asks oneself is, "Why again did I come here, instead of getting a 10x better experience at home for free?"

Fwiw, I would suggest a richer experience would be available at a 24-hour sports car race, where you can go into the pits during the race, talk with the drivers, be around true fans rather than the fair-weather types, and soak up a far nicer, more honest atmosphere. The Nurburgring 24 Hours would be best, but the Spa 24 is also excellent. Maybe Daytona 24 if you like sand and swamps.
Yes I agree with your points. However McLaren does offer a more comfortable experience now with some modern touches—- incl TV screens

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Yes, better than standing on a hill in the rain (but how much again does one of these tickets cost?). Still, good luck chatting with a driver or getting into the live paddock during the race and, unless you're travelling by 'copter, good luck getting to and from. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sir,

There is truth in this, especially if you have experienced the spectacle live a few times. But especially back with the NA motors, nothing compared to that sound. Especially if you could be at start/finish when all those mechanical dragons launched at once.

·
2016 650S Spider
175 Posts
Sir,

There is truth in this, especially if you have experienced the spectacle live a few times. But especially back with the NA motors, nothing compared to that sound. Especially if you could be at start/finish when all those mechanical dragons launched at once.

I appreciate the limitations of watching a road race on site (not to mention issues of crowds and traffic, etc.), but nevertheless, attending a F1 race in person - at least this once - is our goal. Plus, we will get to combine the race attendance with some local tourism, etc., so the trip will not be all bad ;)

I do have first-hand knowledge of the contrast between watching yacht races on TV vs. on the water (or land nearby). There is no question that TV coverage - especially aided by modern technology - gives the viewer a far better perspective of such events. Yet, watching say the start or finish of the Sydney-Hobart yacht race on the water nearby the racers, or watching the J-Boats race off Newport from the water, or watching the America's Cup races from the dock or on the water in San Francisco is a totally different and in many ways far more engaging and exciting experience than watching TV coverage in couch-potato mode.

So the question remains, given our perhaps foolhardy goal of attending a F1 race in person, which venue(s) are likely to offer the best experience, and what options (pit passes or whatever) are worthwhile to enhance the experience?

·
Registered
401 Posts

Go. You won't regret it.

The sounds, the experience of watching the car's acceleration and braking are visceral. Find a corner that has a view of the braking, turning then accelerating if you can.

You will never get that feeling on tv. Bring some headphones to catch the commentary and find a location in front of a screen so you can catch team strategies and other information. Pit passes are good to get when you go for the first time but wouldn't get one after that.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts