McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 1530 Posts

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe @eMcL should start the "Formula 1, 2019" thread and we can start placing bets (and hopes) on a better season next year!

-Jamie.
its fair to say that 2018 is over and the 2019 drivers have started pretty much everywhere... ;-)
Yes looking forward to 2019 season — all these new drivers with Mercedes vs Ferrari and Honda vs Renault
0:)

https://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-calendar/2019-f1-calendar/

The 2019 grid:

Mercedes

Lewis Hamilton: Contract with Mercedes until end of 2020

Valtteri Bottas: Deal for 2019 with an option for 2020

Ferrari

Sebastian Vettel: Contract with Ferrari until end of 2020

Charles Leclerc: Confirmed as Sebastian Vettel’s team-mate for 2019

Red Bull

Max Verstappen: Contract with Red Bull until the end of 2020

Pierre Gasly: Confirmed as Max Verstappen’s team-mate for 2019 season

Racing Point F1

Sergio Perez: Signed one-year extension with Force India

Lance Stroll: Long-term deal for the owner’s son

McLaren

Carlos Sainz: Signed multi-year contract with McLaren

Lando Norris: Signed multi-year contract with McLaren

Williams

George Russell: Signed multi-year contract with Williams

Robert Kubica: Confirmed for 2019 season

Renault

Daniel Ricciardo: Signed with Renault for 2019 in a two-year deal

Nico Hulkenberg: Will partner Ricciardo in 2019

Toro Rosso

Alexander Albon: Confirmed for 2019

Daniil Kvyat: Returns to Toro Rosso for 2019

Haas

Romain Grosjean: Confirmed for 2019

Kevin Magnussen: Confirmed for 2019

Sauber

Kimi Raikkonen: Rejoins Sauber on two-year deal

Antonio Giovinazzi: Confirmed for 2019

https://www.planetf1.com/news/how-is-the-2019-driver-line-up-shaping-up/

·
Registered
543 Posts
Excited to see if these aero changes do improve the car-to-car racing and tighten it up a bit.

Looking forward to seeing how Leclerc does in Red as well.

Of course I am still rooting for our Orange team members, but I still think McLaren is a year or two behind yet.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Valtteri better up his game in a significant way. I wonder if Mercedes has to keep him in the seat through the end of 2019 per contract. Nico was definitely a better performer.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MOTORSPORT.COM
F1 tweaks penalty rules to curb qualifying no-shows

By: Adam Cooper

The FIA has tweaked the way penalties will be applied to Formula 1 grids from 2019, in an attempt to encourage those who have penalties to take part in qualifying.

A rule was introduced this year that put anyone with more than 15 places of power unit grid penalties to the back of the grid.

When more than one driver was affected the starting order was determined by the order in which the offence was committed, i.e. when the new elements were first used on track.

That led to the sometimes farcical situation of drivers leaving their garages well before the start of a practice session and parking at the end of the pitlane with their engine switched off, thus bagging their spot on the grid ahead of anyone who joined the queue behind them.

The most extreme example was at the Russian GP, when four cars were waiting at pitlane exit.

To prevent this from happening in 2019 penalised drivers will instead line up on the grid in the order in which they qualified, which will also provide an incentive for them to set competitive times in qualifying, instead of making just a token appearance in Q1 and then saving tyres, as was often the case this year.

The FIA has also clarified that any driver who is outside the 107% rule and is allowed to start will be placed at the back come what may, behind any drivers with power unit penalties.

In other changes to the sporting regulations confirmed by the World Motor Sport Council on Wednesday, teams will now have to ensure that fuel handling procedures are the same for testing as they are at race events.

Since the Williams garage fire at the 2012 Spanish GP the rules have specified precautions such as the use of protective equipment and dry-break couplings, and FIA observers had noticed that the same procedures required for race weekends have not always been employed in testing.

In another piece of tidying up, the rules now specify that cars will be kept under yellow flag conditions until they reach the control line after the safety car returns to the pits.

While no overtaking was allowed in such circumstances hitherto green flags had been displayed around the track when the safety car entered the pits, creating a “mixed message” that the FIA has now addressed.

From now on the SC boards will be withdrawn, the yellow flags will continue to be shown, and the leaders will see the green lights and green flags only at the line.

The final change to the 2019 sporting regulations is to allow unrestricted CFD simulations to be carried out for the development of cars in accordance with the 2021 regulations. This has been done in the past when teams were working on future rules, and reflects the fact that they will be providing feedback that will help F1 and the FIA shape the 2021 rules.

Minor adjustments to the F1 technical regulations are the final signing off on bodywork details relating to the 2019 front wing changes, while an extra 3kgs has been added to the minimum weight, boosting it from 740 to 743kgs.

Usually such weight hikes are related to specific rule changes, such as the addition of the halo or the move to wider wheels and tyres, but in this case teams simply lobbied the FIA and complained that they were struggling to get the weight down to 740
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/penalty-rule-change-qualifying-participation/4309205/

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"introduction of success ballast"
:eek:

-------------------
RACEFANS
The World Endurance Championship’s new hypercar-based rules which its top LMP1 class will use from 2020 have been revealed, including the introduction of success ballast.
5th December 2018
by Keith Collantine

The new regulations, agreed by the FIA and ACO, are intended to drastically reduce costs in the class. Toyota has been left as the only manufacturer in LMP1 following the withdrawals of Nissan, Audi and Porsche in recent seasons.
In a bid to avoid “extreme development budgets”, the new 2020 cars will be required to carry success ballast linked to how many championship points they have scored. The weight will be added in increments of half a kilo per point up to a maximum of 50kg. The minimum weight limit of the cars will be 1,040kg.

The technical specification of the cars will be greatly simplified from the current models, which will remain in use until the end of the 2019-20 season. Cars will also be homologated over a five-year period, removing the need to introduce a new model every year, though manufacturers will have the opportunity to do so once in that period if they choose.

Cars will be restricted to using a single hybrid system on the front axle only, producing no more than 200kW (268bhp). The internal combustion engine will contribute up to 520kW (697 bhp) on top of that. Several restrictions will be enforced to reduce expensive areas of engine development, including minimum weights.

The cars’ aerodynamics will also be tightly restricted. However the hypercar-based models are expected to be around seven seconds per lap slower than the current machines at Le Mans (a 3.6% lap time increase).

The FIA and ACO believe the new regulations will cut the cost of running a two-car team to around €20 million per season, based on a five-year commitment. Teams which do not build their own hybrid systems will have the option of purchasing them from manufacturers at a cost of €3 million per season for two cars.

ACO sport director Vincent Beaumesnil said the new class will “remain a category for ultra-high-performance prototypes bidding to win a major world championship and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.”

He denied the goal of the regulations was to equalise the performance between all the competitors. “The aim is not to balance the performance of the cars in relation to each other, but to cdurb the ‘development at any cost’ strategy that saw budgets rocket with the previous generation of cars.”
https://www.racefans.net/2018/12/05/new-2020-wec-lmp1-hypercar-regulations-revealed-including-success-ballast/

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it's more likely than not that we see Ocon in that seat before year's end...
Yes as Ocon is the reserve driver he might be Mercedes logical choice. But that is if Verstappen were not available (due to Honda/Red Bull success) or deemed to be a negative disruptive force on a Mercedes/Hamilton team. Hamilton has indicated that he does not have a team mate clause in his contract and that he would be fine with Verstappen as a team mate …..
And as we are having speculative fun here — perhaps Vettel could be persuaded to join Mercedes?
>:)

·
Registered
515 Posts
— perhaps Vettel could be persuaded to join Mercedes?
Vettel's car was not the (main-) reason for his lack of success (same goes for Valterri) so not sure why Mercedes would try to persuade him. Having said that, Max is still a prominent candidate of making regular mistakes as well. I just hope that the performance gap between the top 3 teams and the rest of the field would close a bit. Someone stated in an article that it looks as if we are watching two different series of championships.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thecheckeredflag
NEW FORMULA 1 TV GRAPHICS REVEALED FOR 2019
by Findlay Grant
December 5, 2018

New TV graphics for Formula 1 have been revealed for 2019, following the sport deciding to move most of its infrastructure to outside premises with*Amazon Web Services.
Formula 1 wishes to develop more effective data tracking systems, as well as digital broadcasts and race strategies, doing so by making use of a number of services which are offered by AWS.
The long-term plan is to provide viewers with information which they hope will*“change the way fans and*teams enjoy, experience and participate in racing.”
One of the services used to achieve this goal will be SageMaker: it has allowed the sport’s data scientists to analyse over sixty-five years of race data from the past, which can then be used to collate statistics and give insight into decisions which have been made by teams and drivers.
Ross Brawn, who is the Technical Director for F1, said: “For next season we are expanding the ‘F1 Insights’ for our viewers, by further*integrating the*telemetry data, such as the car position, the tyre condition, even the weather, so we can use ‘SageMaker’ to predict car performance, pit stops*and race strategy.”
He added: “There will be some exciting new AI*integrations*into next year’s F1 TV broadcast.”
One of the other graphics which will be introduced next year focuses on ‘car performance’.
Brawn said: “We know that somebody is in trouble: his rear tyres are overheating. *We can look at the history of the tyres and how they have worked and where he is in*the race, and machine learning can help us apply a proper analysis of the situation.”

‘Overtake probability’ will also be added. *In relation to this, he said: “Wheel-to-wheel racing is the*essence, a critical aspect of the*sport, and now with machine learning and using live data and historical data, we can make predictions about what is going to happen.”
Brawn added that what makes this interesting is that the viewer will have access to all this information, but the teams will not.
“The graphic on*the right shows what we expect is going to happen in this event. *What is*great about this, is the team’s don’t have all this data. *We as F1 know the data from both cars and we can make this comparison*which has never been done before.”
Lastly, he revealed a graphic which gives insight into pit stop strategy.
“Stopping at the right time and fitting the right tyre can win or lose a race. *We are going to take all the data and give the fans an insight into why they stopped and when they stopped – did the team and driver make the right call?”

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2018/12/new-formula-1-tv-graphics-revealed-for-2019/

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Yes as Ocon is the reserve driver he might be Mercedes logical choice. But that is if Verstappen were not available (due to Honda/Red Bull success) or deemed to be a negative disruptive force on a Mercedes/Hamilton team. Hamilton has indicated that he does not have a team mate clause in his contract and that he would be fine with Verstappen as a team mate …..

And as we are having speculative fun here — perhaps Vettel could be persuaded to join Mercedes?

Verstasppen to Merc? I find that highly unlikely, next to impossible. I believe he’s contracted through 2020. Not that the contract can’t be broken but I’d be shocked if that happen next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vettel's car was not the (main-) reason for his lack of success (same goes for Valterri) so not sure why Mercedes would try to persuade him. Having said that, Max is still a prominent candidate of making regular mistakes as well. I just hope that the performance gap between the top 3 teams and the rest of the field would close a bit. Someone stated in an article that it looks as if we are watching two different series of championships.
Yes agreed. However my understanding is that Vettel was vilified in the Italian press during 2018 and that made Vettel uncomfortable. That coupled with the firing of Raikkonen did not go over well with Vettel — so yes highly unlikely that Vettel would move to Mercedes but he might have at least thought about the possibility, hence the devil in my post.
:)
The gap should close — maintaining the same PU designs has allowed the power outputs of the top three to be developed much closer now, Mercedes and Ferrari are equal and Honda appears to have overtaken Renault in power and may be close to Mercedes and Ferrari during 2019.
From the comments of Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull they seem to think that they can overcome the speed losses of the new aero. Not sure if the rest of the field has been disadvantaged by this change — the teams with top wind tunnel facilities and top CFD simulation capabilities may gain an advantage. We shall see …

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Verstasppen to Merc? I find that highly unlikely, next to impossible. I believe he’s contracted through 2020. Not that the contract can’t be broken but I’d be shocked if that happen next year.
Not so fast — We are talking about a scenario where Bottas is fired. I believe there is a performance clause (Honda) in Verstappen's contract. But as much as I would like to see Verstappen racing Hamilton in a Mercedes I could happily settle for a competitive Honda powered Red Bull ….

·
Registered
515 Posts
The gap should close — maintaining the same PU designs has allowed the power outputs of the top three to be developed much closer now, Mercedes and Ferrari are equal and Honda appears to have overtaken Renault in power and may be close to Mercedes and Ferrari during 2019.
Boy Mclaren will look like $$IT if Honda proves to be producing a competitive & reliable power unit. I wonder if Ron is laughing or crying about the current state of this once formidable team

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Yes agreed. However my understanding is that Vettel was vilified in the Italian press during 2018 and that made Vettel uncomfortable. That coupled with the firing of Raikkonen did not go over well with Vettel — so yes highly unlikely that Vettel would move to Mercedes but he might have at least thought about the possibility, hence the devil in my post.
:)
From the comments of Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull they seem to think that they can overcome the speed losses of the new aero. Not sure if the rest of the field has been disadvantaged by this change — the teams with top wind tunnel facilities and top CFD simulation capabilities may gain an advantage. We shall see …
why do we think that Honda have over taken Renault? am not saying that they haven't, its just not my impression... could be wrong ..

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
why do we think that Honda have over taken Renault? am not saying that they haven't, its just not my impression... could be wrong ..
Yes given that we only have the results from a Toro Rosso F1 chassis Honda power superiority over Renault may not have been clearly demonstrated. There is some less visible data from other test chassis’s.

Also I believe I saw split time and acceleration measurements indicating Honda spec 3 PU has higher peak power output than Renault.

Some relevant quotes

“Honda is making big steps forward,” said Tost in an interview shared with RaceFans. “Yesterday we had the new spec (3) in the car and was really fantastic.”
The upgrade means “Honda is in front of Renault” now, said Tost, adding he believes its “complete package” is now superior to the current Renault power unit.
“The power unit the years before was so not so reliable, not so strong. We knew some deficiencies but Honda caught up dramatically and they are doing a fantastic job.”

And
“The publications say that Honda's Spec 3 engine will be 26kW (35hp) more powerful than its current one, relegating Renault to last place in the power stakes.”

We shall see .....

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Yes given that we only have the results from a Toro Rosso F1 chassis Honda power superiority over Renault may not have been clearly demonstrated. There is some less visible data from other test chassis’s.

Also I believe I saw split time and acceleration measurements indicating Honda spec 3 PU has higher peak power output than Renault.

Some relevant quotes

“Honda is making big steps forward,” said Tost in an interview shared with RaceFans. “Yesterday we had the new spec (3) in the car and was really fantastic.”
The upgrade means “Honda is in front of Renault” now, said Tost, adding he believes its “complete package” is now superior to the current Renault power unit.
“The power unit the years before was so not so reliable, not so strong. We knew some deficiencies but Honda caught up dramatically and they are doing a fantastic job.”

And
“The publications say that Honda's Spec 3 engine will be 26kW (35hp) more powerful than its current one, relegating Renault to last place in the power stakes.”

We shall see .....
Indeed we shall see. I suspect there’s some confirmational bias coming from red bull, but equally it wouldn’t be surprising if Honda had finally got their sh*t together.

My own perception was that they did a good job in Japan but after that it was definitely normal Honda from a pace perspective.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Indeed we shall see. I suspect there’s some confirmational bias coming from red bull, but equally it wouldn’t be surprising if Honda had finally got their sh*t together.

My own perception was that they did a good job in Japan but after that it was definitely normal Honda from a pace perspective.
Yes I agree on the bias. But the whole approach of Honda - Red Bull in dedicating and supporting the 2018 Toro Rosso team to the PU development, sacrificing points and positions to test new PU elements etc has I think paid off. This translation from f1today was posted on F1technical.net shows the effort intensity continues —-

HPD
Post 03 Dec 2018

The secret Honda Hybrid test

In our earlier version of Technical Analysis of the RA619H, which Red Bull Racing will use in 2019, we could report that Honda has gone another route with the construction of its engine. For example, during the last three seasons in the MGU-H system, almost 1.3 mega joules per round of electricity were won. In collaboration with Brembo, the ability of the MGU-K has also been boosted. These independent items, which fall within the current power units, can be tested on street cars. Honda has a supercar in its arsenal, called the NSX and seems to have tested these systems last month on their own circuit, Suzuka. Honda tested the MGU-K and MGU-H from 2019 in a prototype NSX. This NSX was equipped with a current configuration engine, the 3.5L twin turbo V6. This has been brought to the level by engine control that gives the current RA918H engine performance. The temperatures of this 3.5 L V6 have been brought to the same level by Honda as the engine that is now in the Toro Rosso. With this configuration, Honda has done a test at Suzuka to see how much energy one could generate with the new MGU-K and MGU H systems. This NSX drove around 100 laps a day for three days on the Suzuka circuit, and the Units, the MGU-H and MGU-K generated more mega joules than initially intended. Indeed, this test confirmed that the hybrid systems of the Honda have a profit percentage compared to the current engine of nearly 6.5%. To make a calculation. With every 100 HP that these systems can deliver, Honda has already gained 6.5 extra for the 2019 version by optimizing these systems. In theory we talk about a higher percentage of profit, since this NSX V6 has a double turbo. Could this be a reason for Honda to share their turbo, like Mercedes, in the same way?

The effect on the dyno

Toyohiro Tanabe, F1 Technical Director at Honda, says the following: "Motor tests carried out on a car can not be carried out with FIA rules, at least not in the current configuration, but tests on test benches are possible. dyno in Milton Keynes so that it can be rotated with the gearbox There are already several tests, including a test with the bodywork including the gearbox We have the advantage that our facility in Milton Keynes is not far away from the Red Bull factory . " A very interesting note from Tanabe. The three dynos that Honda has were described by former McLaren Engineer Mark Priestley as Milton Keynes, Sakura and Austria. Further investigation has shown that it is not in Austria, but in Faenza at Toro Rosso. Honda has three independent teams that test the RA619H on the dynos. These tests are necessary to test the reliability, stability and operation with the gearbox. Tanabe's remark that the gearbox, engine and chassis have already become acquainted with each other concerns here in all probability an RB14 from the beginning of the year. This could be a car that could no longer be used. By this we mean the car with which Max Verstappen hit the wall in Monaco. Verstappen got a new car for the Sunday.

Honda, the Super Formula car

At the end of this year the current configuration of the Super Formula car, the Dallara SF14, disappears. This car is almost identical to the current Formula 1 car in terms of length, width and wheelbase. We are talking about a margin of a few inches here. The gossip that Honda wanted to test its power unit on a Super Formula car in Suzuka in 2015 was confirmed in that year by the project manager of Honda at the time, Yasuhisa Arai. Also the team with which this test would be carried out, Team Mugen, had already released a chassis and converted it to install the Honda RA615H. This modified chassis with associated parts is still at the factory at Team Mugen.

In Japan, the rumors have been rekindled about a test with Honda and this Super Formula car. Since this car, the Dallara SF14, is no longer competitive in its current form, because it will be replaced by the SF19, Honda suddenly has access to a chassis that is approved by the FIA ​​and according to the regulations can be used as test vehicle. The product that Honda wants to set up here, the RA619H, has not yet officially participated in a Grand Prix. A 'loophole' in the regulations
https://www.f1today.net/nl/nieuws/f1/243501/technische-analyse-hoe-honda-haar-2019-motor-test

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sorry to change the subject somewhat, although still F1 2019, but just throwing this post season thought in for debate.
If McLaren have another disappointing first half of next season, how secure do you feel Zak Browns position will be? After all, he has hardly (IMO) covered himself in glory since he joined.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry to change the subject somewhat, although still F1 2019, but just throwing this post season thought in for debate.
If McLaren have another disappointing first half of next season, how secure do you feel Zak Browns position will be? After all, he has hardly (IMO) covered himself in glory since he joined.
Yeah but Zak inherited a mess — how long he will be granted to fix things is debatable. Of course he is setting the stage for continuity......

f1today
Brown: McLaren struggles due to 'lack of consistent leadership'
McLaren CEO Zak Brown believes that a lack of consistent leadership was the cause of the team's struggle throughout the 2018 season. The Woking outfit mostly endured a tough year, after recording five top-eight finishes with Fernando Alonso in the opening five races.

However, point finishes were a rarity for the team after that, and it ended the year in sixth place in the constructor's standings, despite coming under pressure from Racing Point Force India who only started scoring after the summer break.

And Brown thinks that McLaren's downfall has been coming for a number of years: "Ultimately what got us here this year started five years ago. This year’s problem is years in the works," Brown said. "My summary of that is that we’ve had a lack of consistent leadership.

"I don’t point the fingers at any one individual. That was a lack of focus because of all the activities that were going on, from the boardroom down: buyouts; merging of companies; team principals in; team principals out; CEOs in; CEOs out.

"It was just a constant revolving kind of lack of focus, and I think that’s what created the issue. And then what fell out of that is that people didn’t have clear goals and accountability, responsibility. Ultimately that’s what produced a poor race car this year. It was kind of our structure, our organisation.

"The individual people are extremely talented. We’ve got world championships, we’ve got over 100 people that have been here for over 20 years. They haven’t forgotten how to win we just didn’t have the right infrastructure in place, and that’s what we’ve set out to fix."

Three senior personnel left McLaren this year, as Tim Goss, Eric Boullier and Matt Morris bowed out. Gil de Ferran was appointed as sporting director, while Toro Rosso's James Key is expected to join sometime in 2019.

When asked by Crash.net if a season like 2018 was important for McLaren to reveal its core problems, Brown said: "I would have preferred to have a good year, but of course, this year was a surprise to all of us.

"It did get you to look in the mirror quickly, get really close to the team, make some changes, so ideally long term we will have benefited the racing team from this year. We’ve uncovered lots of areas that we’ve had some shortcomings, that ultimately will be a good point because we think we addressed them or we’re on our way to addressing them."

Published on 06 December 2018
https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/243642/brown-mclaren-struggles-due-to-lack-of-consistent-leadership

1 - 20 of 1530 Posts