McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some new wheels installed and it looks like 2 of my sensors got swapped front to back by the tire guys as my readings are all wonky. I've driven them on like this for about 14 miles already and it hasn't learned. It's interesting that it can't tell that the sensors aren't where they're supposed to be and just reassign as front or rear tire.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes getting signal, but they're showing in the wrong spot. I haven't had a chance to put in sensors in the front wheels yet but the display is showing pressure on the right front which means the original front right sensor was swapped into the rear tires.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The system needs all 4 sensors fitted I'm afraid, it's a canbus based system so works as a chain. Fit all 4 and it should re learn.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the 2 from the front are in the car, just currently not in the tires so I do get temp readings. I called the service center and the service advisor claims it's a hard re-set if at the cost of the hourly rate of $225/hr. Ugh. I'm going to just figure out which sensor belongs on which tire and get it back to the way it was before.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well the 2 from the front are in the car, just currently not in the tires so I do get temp readings. I called the service center and the service advisor claims it's a hard re-set if at the cost of the hourly rate of $225/hr. Ugh. I'm going to just figure out which sensor belongs on which tire and get it back to the way it was before.
So they are just sat on the passenger seat?

·
Registered
78 Posts
If they are not fitted to the tyres then they won't get a pressure reading, the temp reading they are sending is just ambient temperature that's all.

Fit them to the tyres (they are not sided or front and rear) and the system will reset.

Hard reset is about 60 seconds of work, $225? Blimey, and I thought UK dealers took the piss.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes currently off the front wheels. They're definitely sided and front to year. The tire display shows pressure in one of the front tires. That means one of my front sensors are on one of the rear tires and it's getting the pressure reading from it. I attached a photo of the readout. You can tell the zero PSI sensors are the front ones. The front left sensor is definitely mounted on one of my rear tires hence it's showing 35PSI and 104F.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok, perhaps I'm not being clear.

The sensors are dumb, ie a they do is read the temp and pressure when fitted. When not fitted they will just read temp.

When new they need coding to the car, easy enough job. When you swap tyres you need to refit them back into the tyres then they will reset (regardless of front, rear etc) when they are back connected.

Of you've fitted 2 but not the other two (which seems a bit odd) then they won't reset until all are fitted. It shouldn't need a hard reset, however I've never heard of someone only fitting two before so who knows!

·
Registered
78 Posts
If someone gets 4 new TPMS sensors (say from new wheels), will they be automatically detected?
No, new ones need programming bit any tyre place should be able to do that. Once programmed then you can take them off and on and they will 'find' the central control unit each time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts