McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I could have told you that as well, it's so blatantly obvious that the McLaren would be car of the year in his eyes and in mine. I've driven a lot of cars and this car is the one, the holy grail of super cars, okay I'm going a little over board, but she's a beauty and I love her. Cheers....??

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
If Captain Slow say's it is COTY then it is COTY.

I like to think James May calls it how it is rather than play to the audience.........unlike his colleagues on TG, but what do I know?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I can't find it, but a client brought by an article (likely from Top Gear Magazine) wherein James May states, emphatically, that the 458 Spider is "The Best Car in the World." So there's that.

When I'd finished reading the article, I just looked up at the client and said, you DO realize that James May's nickname is "Captain Slow," right!?

Cuts both ways, I guess!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Sorry - it wasn't the 458 Spider - it was the 458.

From Top Gear Magazine, November 2012; Page 21... (final paragraph):

"So some contrivance in which engineering and art are perfectly complementary to one another is one of the finest things we have. And that's why the Ferrari 458 is the best car in the world."

·
Registered
307 Posts
It's nice to hear our buying decisions affirmed by others (even James May), but it strikes me as an odd choice for a derivative model to be nominated. I get the impression that May drives fewer cars than most car journalists, due to his other interests. I guess calling the 12C Spider his COTY just means its the best new model he drove from a limited array. Faint praise but hey, a win is a win. :)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Sorry - it wasn't the 458 Spider - it was the 458.

From Top Gear Magazine, November 2012; Page 21... (final paragraph):

"So some contrivance in which engineering and art are perfectly complementary to one another is one of the finest things we have. And that's why the Ferrari 458 is the best car in the world."

He is right on both accounts, you can have a number of COTY's.

In business I always used to say that you can't be the best if you can't tell me who is second and third:confused:

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I have to say to me his opinion is pretty worthless. He can't actually drive.
Amusing tv journalist though !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts