McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I would go Artura ... not that sth. is wrong with the 675LT, but you lack the experience to drive a car that is mostly too much for ppl with 10-15y experience and that is dangerous with this kind of car ... the Artura while probably being as fast but is certainly the one that behaves more gentle and has the less aggressive setup than the LT which is quiet raw ... you can after having some experience with high power super cars (meaning maybe 15-20k miles driven) start to think about more raw cars but for a person not used to these speeds and reactions especially the sharpened versions like the LTs or Porsche RS models they are dangerous as they require you more than regular sport and super cars to know what to do while the daily driver oriented ones like the Artura are if not dialed in quiet well behaved

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would go Artura ... not that sth. is wrong with the 675LT, but you lack the experience to drive a car that is mostly too much for ppl with 10-15y experience and that is dangerous with this kind of car ... the Artura while probably being as fast but is certainly the one that behaves more gentle and has the less aggressive setup than the LT which is quiet raw ... you can after having some experience with high power super cars (meaning maybe 15-20k miles driven) start to think about more raw cars but for a person not used to these speeds and reactions especially the sharpened versions like the LTs or Porsche RS models they are dangerous as they require you more than regular sport and super cars to know what to do while the daily driver oriented ones like the Artura are of not dialed in quiet well behaved
Chris, basically you’re saying one is a nice house wife to take home, and the latter is a nasty sexy stripper :)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Chris, basically you’re saying one is a nice house wife to take home, and the latter is a nasty sexy stripper :)
kind of ... but the stripper won’t usually kill you if you don’t know how to handle her ... with raw track oriented cars - that are intentionally set up to test limits before the nannies intervene it’s different ...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If you have no frame of reference, both will drive great and make you happy. However, I'm inclined to think you'll find the 675LT interior kind of boring and dated. Remember, you're sitting inside the car, not outside. It's a 2011 interior. It's not bad per se, and it's very spartan, but it's still long in the tooth. Just my opinion though as someone who either likes really old or really new, not the dated in-between.

And think about this: it's not like you're going to buy one and then get to drive the other occasionally to remind you whether you made the right/wrong choice. You're going to buy one and that's all you'll have, so you won't really have a frame of reference to know if you got the right/wrong one.

Just buy the one you like looking at best and which makes the most sense financially.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you have no frame of reference, both will drive great and make you happy. However, I'm inclined to think you'll find the 675LT interior kind of boring and dated. Remember, you're sitting inside the car, not outside. It's a 2011 interior. It's not bad per se, and it's very Spartan
Ha ha
Right
Boring NEVER comes to mind sitting in my car
Remind me again how much seat time you have in a 675

·
Registered
368 Posts

One is functional and to the point .........675LT one car was meant to be low weight and raw .....720S is meant to be a daily driver and not the 675LT. I have zero issues with the 675. Yes one is newer so it makes sense, but dated I would say no.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I luv the 675 interior and especially the seating position.

Would apple CarPlay be nice? Yes. Is the Meridian sound system garbage? You betcha. Is the track telemetry cameras and reverse camera from the 80’s? Yes too. But again, super nitpicking here and the interior ergonomics is epic for track duty.

Perhaps fell asleep inside someone else’s car? Ho hum.... so boring

frankly, NEVER, NEVER heard a 675 described as boring
Nothing about it is boring

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Ha ha
Right
Boring NEVER comes to mind sitting in my car
Remind me again how much seat time you have in a 675
I think like 10K+ miles in the 12C when I sold it, maybe more. It has the exact same interior as many 675LT. If you got in the car blindfolded, you wouldn't be able to tell which you were in.

My point is merely that if it's his first exotic car, let alone first car at all, then he simply can't pick the wrong one and he won't have a frame of reference to be disappointed. It's not that old exotics are bad per se, it's that they just end up feeling dated as hell when you sit in them, look at the dash, look at the interior, the headlights, use the laggy infotainment, etc.

BTW, didn't say the car was boring. I said the interior was boring. And it kind of is. Artura interior looks way nicer, way more refined, quite modern.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So zero 675LT seat time?

In any event the P1 seats and seating position and the full alcantara everywhere is what makes the 675LT interior for me perfectly suited for the car.

I think like 10K+ miles in the 12C when I sold it, maybe more. It has the exact same interior as many 675LT. If you got in the car blindfolded, you wouldn't be able to tell which you were in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Speaking with a person who has never owned a car, I would bet they would be annoyed by outdated infotainment system. People live on their devices now and a 2011-2012 is juts not up to expectations. The car itself is awesome.

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Chicane Effect
116 Posts
Actually I prefer the spartan interiors, as somehow they seem to age better over time. The more technological gadgets they have in the interior, the more they become obviously dated, or just flat out obsolete.

·
Registered
368 Posts
When I drive the following cars the process is the same with the infotainment system, blue tooth is picked up and I listen to Pandora and it all works the same.
2016 675LT
2018 AMG GLC 63
2019 Range Rover
2019 Speedster

3 of 4 have Apple Car Play, and honestly I only use it for Pandora and Waze, and cars have become driving computers and being a driver I’m either going from point A to point B. 675 and Speedster 50% no music out enjoying the machine. P1 seats are awesome, and the interior is clean and alcantara/full leather looks pretty good. Maybe I’m just a boring old guy at 50:)

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
I would go Artura ... not that sth. is wrong with the 675LT, but you lack the experience to drive a car that is mostly too much for ppl with 10-15y experience and that is dangerous with this kind of car ... the Artura while probably being as fast but is certainly the one that behaves more gentle and has the less aggressive setup than the LT which is quiet raw
I think you're right in some ways and wrong in others. First of all saying the car is "mostly too much..." is just some weird form of elitism. It's like you're saying "I can handle it, but you can't!" That's the kind of sentiment that caused Microsoft to create Bob. Anyone who can drive a car can drive a 675LT without crashing it if they stay within limits.

On the pure driving front - Artura will be the more aggressive car to drive. Obviously I've not driven an Artura yet but from my experience with 675LT and P1 I think the 675LT will actually be the slower, easier experience behind the wheel - I don't mean that in a negative way. It's simply more analog.

While they're both going to be very fast cars, the Artura is going to have far greater throttle response than the 675LT, due to the hybrid setup, and it will have a faster steering rack. In the same way a Senna and a P1 have similar acceleration (Senna due to low weight) the P1 is a far more intimidating car to drive because the power response is so brutal and scary. Intimidation is where the problems lies - it's easy to panic when the power comes on so abruptly (hybrid) as opposed to building (non-hybrid).

However, from a car operation stand point the Artura will be far easier to live with and that reduced stress (from everything working the way you expect) will make it a better option for a first time supercar owner.

For example there is now a BUTTON, instead of the funky stalk setup, to activate the lift so the panic about how to engage the lift will be gone. The AC controls are on the central panel - instead of the door. The media controls will make more sense. The nav will work better and be less confusing (plus now will display on the instrument panel) and there will be CarPlay/Android Auto so you can use your favorite apps instead of the built-in nav and use Siri & Google's voice commands etc. The seat controls are more intuitive. The headlights will be way better and you get auto high beam controls, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, removal of the stupid "Active" button, a far better HVAC system, Homelink, better electronic keys, 360 degree parking cameras, and a far more responsive infotainment system. In short a whole bunch of driving conveniences that reduce the stress of driving a McLaren.

So, while I think your idea that the 675LT is somehow more of a handful to drive is false, I think your conclusion to get the Artura as a first-time supercar is valid but for different reasons. The 675LT will likely be the slower, easier to handle car (with the exception of the horrible turn radius and too-low front end), but the Artura will be the easier car to live with. Cars move on. It's 6 years since the launch of the 675LT. To expect the Artura to be slower than the 675LT is just plain silly. That doesn't diminish the 675LT one bit - it's a spectacular car and brilliantly fun to drive. But it's days as king of the hill ended when the 720S showed up.

I'm confident 675LT will eventually be a collector car so take care of yours!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think you're right in some ways and wrong in others. First of all saying the car is "mostly too much..." is just some weird form of elitism. It's like you're saying "I can handle it, but you can't!" That's the kind of sentiment that caused Microsoft to create Bob. Anyone who can drive a car can drive a 675LT without crashing it if they stay within limits.

On the pure driving front - Artura will be the more aggressive car to drive. Obviously I've not driven an Artura yet but from my experience with 675LT and P1 I think the 675LT will actually be the slower, easier experience behind the wheel - I don't mean that in a negative way. It's simply more analog.

While they're both going to be very fast cars, the Artura is going to have far greater throttle response than the 675LT, due to the hybrid setup, and it will have a faster steering rack. In the same way a Senna and a P1 have similar acceleration (Senna due to low weight) the P1 is a far more intimidating car to drive because the power response is so brutal and scary. Intimidation is where the problems lies - it's easy to panic when the power comes on so abruptly (hybrid) as opposed to building (non-hybrid).

However, from a car operation stand point the Artura will be far easier to live with and that reduced stress (from everything working the way you expect) will make it a better option for a first time supercar owner.

For example there is now a BUTTON, instead of the funky stalk setup, to activate the lift so the panic about how to engage the lift will be gone. The AC controls are on the central panel - instead of the door. The media controls will make more sense. The nav will work better and be less confusing (plus now will display on the instrument panel) and there will be CarPlay/Android Auto so you can use your favorite apps instead of the built-in nav and use Siri & Google's voice commands etc. The seat controls are more intuitive. The headlights will be way better and you get auto high beam controls, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, removal of the stupid "Active" button, a far better HVAC system, Homelink, better electronic keys, 360 degree parking cameras, and a far more responsive infotainment system. In short a whole bunch of driving conveniences that reduce the stress of driving a McLaren.

So, while I think your idea that the 675LT is somehow more of a handful to drive is false, I think your conclusion to get the Artura as a first-time supercar is valid but for different reasons. The 675LT will likely be the slower, easier to handle car (with the exception of the horrible turn radius and too-low front end), but the Artura will be the easier car to live with. Cars move on. It's 6 years since the launch of the 675LT. To expect the Artura to be slower than the 675LT is just plain silly. That doesn't diminish the 675LT one bit - it's a spectacular car and brilliantly fun to drive. But it's days as king of the hill ended when the 720S showed up.

I'm confident 675LT will eventually be a collector car so take care of yours!
I saw a video where Misha kept up with Shmee's 675LT with his 570s in multiple acceleration races (couple years ago). The Artura will be faster than the 720s. However the Artura will also be easier to handle. But just like you sir, I am speculating

·
Registered
320 Posts
I personally think the Artura will be fantastic. For a first time super car buyer, it's the more logical choice for all the reasons MarkNC mentioned.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Unless the OP is 16, I'm pretty sure he can happily drive just about any modern car without worry. Wouldn't put him in a CGT or a Ford GT if he's the kind of guy who does "donuts" for thrills, but anything with modern ESP/TC will be perfectly fine as long as he's not an immature idiot.

Driving a high powered car only requires maturity, not skill. Biggest risk to OP is buying a 675LT with old, worn out Trofeos that he doesn't think/care to change. Putting someone with no driving experience in a car with Trofeos would not be the best idea if he lives any place with a chance of cold/wet weather. Same goes for CCBs for the initial bite.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts