·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OFFICER: blah, mm, mumble mumble!!
6E: Huh?!!
OFFICER: Damn this thing is loud!!
6E: Oh sorry!!
OFFICER: You have a front license plate for it?
6E: It's in the front compartment, the dealer is making a special bracket so they don't have to drill holes in the car. You want to see it?
OFFICER: Yes.
6E (gets out and opens front lid): Here.
OFFICER: You should display that in the front windshield. Do you think I could catch you in this thing?
6E: Well, I wouldn't run!
OFFICER: No, I mean, if somebody stole your car, it makes our job easier if we can see a plate. I'm not going to give you a ticket.
6E: Thanks.
OFFICER: My wife loves these things. Mind if I take a picture?
6E: Go for it. Mind if I take a picture of you, taking a picture of the car?
OFFICER: Don't do that.
6E: Okay. Can I at least take a picture of your car pulling me over?
OFFICER: Yes. Can I take a picture of the interior?
6E: Sure.
OFFICER: One more of the front?
6E: Yes.
OFFICER: Thanks, I'm gonna show the pictures and say you ran from me.
6E: Err.. (nervous laugh)
OFFICER: Didn't McLaren sell a 3-seater a while back?
6E: That would be the F1 - yes, but that was a one-off project. This is the first production McLaren - actually mine is the first ever delivered in Canada.
OFFICER (eyes up 6E): You must have a good paper route to pay for this thing.
6E: Yeah, something like that!
OFFICER: Okay, well sorry for taking up so much of your time - looks like it is snowing, now.
6E: Yeah, I'll probably just take it home.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Were you recording the conversation or do you just have a good memory for encounters with John Law?
Actually, even that is an abridged version. We talked for about 15 minutes like that. He was into technology, wireless stocks, etc. Nice guy, actually. Although I'm biased because he didn't issue me a ticket!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Great story. Too bad he had to harass you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow winter in the Mclaren! You should put that pic in a frame.

Was this you? I can't see if the brakes are orange
(Not my pic)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow winter in the Mclaren! You should put that pic in a frame.

Was this you? I can't see if the brakes are orange
(Not my pic)
I can't tell! Very possibly, depending on where it was taken - I don't really recognize the plaza, but I've been down some random streets, just driving around!

I know there were a couple other carbon black cars delivered - but not sure if either of the owners put on winters.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'f been pulled over for no front plate in Houston. It does happen!!
It's easy to get it dismissed; put the plate on, take a photo, and present it to the judge. Then, remove the plate again till next time!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Some of them are cool. I got pulled over in the SLR when they first came out, by a couple of LA's finest. They pulled me over for excessive something or other because i was showing one of my buddies the air brake. After the initial "you cant be doing that on public roads" conversation turned to " isnt this cool, how does it work" and the famous "can i have a ride", after showing them the acceleration and air brake function, they agreed if they had one they would have to do that all day as well !! No ticket.
Next week i got a ticket for no front plate while i was parked on the street ! Cant win them all i guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
haha, bummer. at least you didn't get a ticket. The one I picked up today has a front plate bracket but they can't figure out how to attach it. I was dreading being pop'd on the way from pfaff to the shop. :D

·
Registered
983 Posts
I made a special bracket for my Porsche that attaches to the tow hook (that screws into the front of the car). I then put my front plate on that for when I need to put the plate on (eg, cop telling me he won't give me the ticket if I put it on right then and there). And then no worries about how to mount it, and it takes all of a minute. Then when he's gone, just unscrew it. No tools needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts