McLaren Life banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, its been many a year since I've been on a forum so i forget how to start these things. A long story short, I am eyeing the two P1's McLaren Newport Beach has in their inventory, the amber tinted carbon and the fire black, but seeing as this is my first foray into possible hypercar ownership and my google-fu is failing me I have come to you all for advice. I am unsure as to how to go about insuring a vehicle of this caliber, I'm assuming it isn't like insuring a normal car but i may be wrong.

I was also wondering if any of the owners have any advice about them, seeing as how i live in Florida my plan is to fly out to CA, take my time and drive it back whilst enjoying the experience of owning and driving my dream car. Any sort of small gremlins i should know about, and quirks or big issues that would become catastrophic on the drive back here?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
A few things to consider:

I would refer you to my broker who handles many exotic/hypercar insurance but he is only licensed with California and New York State. Generally, it is agreed value insurance and if you have a perfect record, etc, and bundle then it will be in the range of 1% of whatever value you want the car insured for. (ie; $1.5 million value of the car then 15,000/year. In California this is around the current rate and went up substantially over previous year).

I doubt that they will release the car to you while you are in California. I'll assume that you will not be titling or registering the car in California. Therefore, you have the issue of no license plate or temporary tag. I don't have any idea whether Florida DMV has to see your car in order to title/register it. Therefore, driving it across the country might not be doable. Driving it after you have bought it, in and around Los Angeles might be doable if the dealer lends you their dealer plate (insurance issues dealing with this). California used to be very picky about out of state purchases/deliveries. They might even come back after you to see if/when you titled/registered it out of state and if you drove it after ownership in and around california before moving it out of state.

All of the above is what the dealer can guide you and you may want to ask about this before you fly out there. You will have a better understanding of how to deal with this situation.

Race bucket seats in P1 are fairly comfortable and can be used for long drives. Make sure you know how to use the lifter and the short cut (take a video of it when they show you). You might go out of cell phone reception are and may not be able to use navigation apps on your phone. Make sure you know how to use the NAV of the car and also how to reset IRIS if it freezes on you. Make sure you know how to put the tow hook into the car.

I doubt anything goes wrong across country but if you should need assistance then you can count on no one knowing how to work the car (Go through with the dealer of where the jacking points are on the car and how to take off the cover that hides the jack points and whatever tool you would have to give to a tow truck, etc (maybe even get them to take the cover off for you and store it in the frunk).. Make sure you have the cell phone number of the sales guys and mclaren tech and make sure you do a test text and ask them to return your text/call immediately if you run into problems. If somehow you should get stuck on the drive or just decide to give up and get it towed back home then it can take several days to schedule this. Most tow companies won't touch exotics.

on a final note; I would NOT do what you are contemplating. Those cars may have been lightly driven in the past several months and its probably not a good idea to go cross country. Save the miles for the fun miles instead of the mundane drive that you will have across the country.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If Florida is anything like Texas you may be able to take a copy of your insurance and the title/finance papers to your local title company and get a 30 day temp tag without needing a vehicle present.

As far as driving it from CA to FL....im a sucker for a road trip. While I love a good road trip....I think I would 1-way rent a trailer and SUV in CA and have a friend fly with me and drive back. That way I could drive the P1 some of the way (and visit some places for photo ops) but not be stuck racking miles when im to the point im tired of driving.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whenever I got a car from a dealer down here they always printed a temp tag, so i thought it would be the same for CA. My main reason for wanting to drive it across country is that I would rather actually rack up miles than let it be a garage queen, but I definitely get what you guys are saying. Specially the part about it not really having been driven the past several months, I figured I could set each destination as different dealerships across the country along my route and have them check it once I got there. I guess it would be a smarter idea to get it back here to Sarasota, then do some short-ish drives (Naples, Miami, Keys) to see if there is anything that would need to be worked out on it before I went on a long drive.

I do greatly appreciate the replies, I was hoping you guys would be able to give insight on this for me and you guys really have, specially unmac knocking it out of the park with all that info. I should have known it wasn't gonna be as simple as going to get a Jag or something given the caliber of car that it is, I'm thinking it would be a better idea to have it shipped to McLaren Tampa instead.

·
Owner
602 Posts
Fly in and drive it home! I've done this more times than I can count with all kinds of exotics. I've never had problems and the memories have lasted a lifetime.

If the car has been gone through and it's running fine, you'll have a great trip. I've never had a dealer NOT issue me a tempt tag on a purchase. Get your insurance in place and one way air ticket and have a great time.

·
@ChaseZimmerman
304 Posts
Fly in and drive it home! I've done this more times than I can count with all kinds of exotics. I've never had problems and the memories have lasted a lifetime.

If the car has been gone through and it's running fine, you'll have a great trip. I've never had a dealer NOT issue me a tempt tag on a purchase. Get your insurance in place and one way air ticket and have a great time.
I can tell you that I just bought my McLaren 675LT Spider from McLaren Newport Beach and due to the fact that I was registering the car out of state (primary residence in FL), they were unable to provide a temporary tag. This is California state laws, so the OP might be out of luck if he wants to drive it home. There may be some work arounds here, if he is trading any vehicles or has any extra tags around, they may be able to do a tag transfer or he may be able to get it registered prior to flying out there. Since he does live in FL, he can most likely get the car titled, registered and get the tags before flying out and taking delivery of the car (since FL does not require inspections).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Or if you live in Texas you can literally pay and download your temp tag online. That’s what I did when I picked up my 12C from New Jersey and drove it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 9 of 9 Posts