McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the 675LT Spiders A LOT lately as they have always caught my eye. I currently own a 570s and dread going back to 2016, but man, a limited car, such a track weapon and with a little bit of this and a little bit of that, it can become a MONSTER....and such a fun car.

My only concern is reliability since a lot of owners never really drove them. I plan on driving mine. I put 10k miles in a year on my 570s, so maybe not THAT much, but get get the idea. Its driven enough to where I never have had to use the trickle charger and I have had 0 mechanical issues with my 570s.

For those that have actually driven these 675LT's somewhat regularly, do they have common issues to look for, anything I should specifically look for when looking at a used one with 1500-2500 miles on it etc.. any info helps...plus my friend is a head tech at McLaren sooooo yeah lol.

But any info helps. He says they are solid cars, but the owners never really drive them so its hard to tell longer term.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been looking at the 675LT Spiders A LOT lately as they have always caught my eye. I currently own a 570s and dread going back to 2016, but man, a limited car, such a track weapon and with a little bit of this and a little bit of that, it can become a MONSTER....and such a fun car.

My only concern is reliability since a lot of owners never really drove them. I plan on driving mine. I put 10k miles in a year on my 570s, so maybe not THAT much, but get get the idea. Its driven enough to where I never have had to use the trickle charger and I have had 0 mechanical issues with my 570s.

For those that have actually driven these 675LT's somewhat regularly, do they have common issues to look for, anything I should specifically look for when looking at a used one with 1500-2500 miles on it etc.. any info helps...plus my friend is a head tech at McLaren sooooo yeah lol.

But any info helps. He says they are solid cars, but the owners never really drive them so its hard to tell longer term.
Firstly, I think it's a great time to get a 675, with prices seemingly having bottomed out, at least for now, so hopefully you'll get less of a depreciation hit than on your 570. As far as issues go, usual Mac stuff like seals and gaskets, I had to have a water pump and timing gasket replaced last year, plus one of the wiring harnesses. The Air Brake has been troublesome for a few owners, but nothing that's not easily fixable. I also have a niggle with the car not shutting down the ignition properly, so always have to check before I get out and sometimes have to manually cycle the start/stop button until everything is turned off. Oh and also had to have the headlights replaced (under warranty), as the bracket tabs snapped and they were rattling like crazy. Definitely plan on getting an extended warranty and if so, McLaren will want to do a full inspection anyway, so you should flush out any existing issues during that process. Also be aware your Dealer may not agree to activate your warranty until 90 days after your purchase date, but if your friends with a tech, hopefully he can pull some strings for you on that?! Of course, it is a Mac, so there will undoubtedly be a few niggles, but worth every one of them in my humble opinion. The car is an absolute beast and every drive is still a pretty special experience, so go get one and enjoy the hell out of it!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Firstly, I think it's a great time to get a 675, with prices seemingly having bottomed out, at least for now, so hopefully you'll get less of a depreciation hit than on your 570. As far as issues go, usual Mac stuff like seals and gaskets, I had to have a water pump and timing gasket replaced last year, plus one of the wiring harnesses. The Air Brake has been troublesome for a few owners, but nothing that's not easily fixable. I also have a niggle with the car not shutting down the ignition properly, so always have to check before I get out and sometimes have to manually cycle the start/stop button until everything is turned off. Oh and also had to have the headlights replaced (under warranty), as the bracket tabs snapped and they were rattling like crazy. Definitely plan on getting an extended warranty and if so, McLaren will want to do a full inspection anyway, so you should flush out any existing issues during that process. Also be aware your Dealer may not agree to activate your warranty until 90 days after your purchase date, but if your friends with a tech, hopefully he can pull some strings for you on that?! Of course, it is a Mac, so there will undoubtedly be a few niggles, but worth every one of them in my humble opinion. The car is an absolute beast and every drive is still a pretty special experience, so go get one and enjoy the hell out of it!!!
Yes, I am personal friends with a lead tech and he is ones of the highest paid mclaren techs in the country. He has pull for sure, I've seen it numerous times, and as long as its nothing major like 10k+ potential repairs, then i'd be totally cool with owning own for the next year or 2. He also is able to get me parts at cost and most of the time doesn't even charge me labor rates (But I pay him cash obviously for the hookup). My 570s has been perfect mechanically so far, but I take care of my cars. Simply things like letting it warm up before driving, letting the oil and water temps get to proper operating temps before smashing on it etc.... just little things like that really go a long way with these cars.

Plus, everywhere I go I see 100 720's now and so I would want something different, even though its still a little older, I still think people would respect it when they actually see it driven in action, because I drive my cars. They are not sitters. But as long as that car will start and run well mechanically, I will be happy. I know McLarens all have their quirks, my 570 does every now and then but I just deal with it and it goes away on its own.

I was mainly looking for user experience of the more serious things to looks for. Anything serious to look for? Anything my tech should check (Because I think if I buy it out of state, I will fly him out with me to look at the car to get his approval, thats how much I trust him and how good he is). From what hes told me, and hes been lead tech for 3 years now, they are pretty solid cars...but the owners also don't drive them that much so its hard to really get an accurate answer on longer term use if I were to daily it per say, know what I mean.I drive my 570 at least 1-2x per week and don't even need to use the trickle charger on it.

Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you do a search for common problems with the 675lt you find fewer threads as compared to other models.
Whether it be cars not driven or the factory taking extra care in building or limited to only 500/500.
For me the experience of the 675 is incredible (I’m sure like most mclarens).
To me it has it all:
Road manners, track presence, and fairl rare.
I don’t think you can go wrong with the 675
Good luck with your search

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It’s odd . Your good friend is a lead mclaren tech and he hasn’t worked on a 675 ? He would have access to service bulletins , worked on 675’s, etc . He would have more knowledge then anyone on this topic , no?

The 675 coupes had the thermostat issues which were replaced under warranty . There wasn’t anything of note with systematic issues on 675 spiders.

Mclaren dealers proactively look to get warranty work . If they know of a systematic issue then they create that work for themselves with cars that they touch . (Almost every mechanic /tech of every marque does this )

Reactions: Spr

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s odd . Your good friend is a lead mclaren tech and he hasn’t worked on a 675 ? He would have access to service bulletins , worked on 675’s, etc . He would have more knowledge then anyone on this topic , no?

The 675 coupes had the thermostat issues which were replaced under warranty . There wasn’t anything of note with systematic issues on 675 spiders.

Mclaren dealers proactively look to get warranty work . If they know of a systematic issue then they create that work for themselves with cars that they touch . (Almost every mechanic /tech of every marque does this )
That's not what I said, he's worked on plenty....but routine maintenance and im sure little problems here and there but he told me that MOST of the ones that come in are not driven the way I drive my cars. They are all super low miles so its hard to tell what would happen with a 20k miles 675lt. Will it handle it just fine with regular upkeep, or will it fall apart.

He said they seem to be well built and solid cars so I think im going to go for one. Plus, I believe I can always get the 1 year warranty on it if I needed.

·
@ChaseZimmerman
304 Posts
The best way to look at the 675LT is by considering it was the last iteration of the MP4-12C / 650S variants. What I mean by this is that McLaren had the MP4-12C and 650S production run to correct any issues they encountered along the way prior to building the 675LT. There are many improvements on the 675LT, making it far superior and more reliable in many ways. I had a 2012 MP4-12C and drove the balls off of it with very minimal issues so I would imagine the 675LT to be able to handle more.

Reactions: Sam Roth

·
Registered
22 Posts
Look at exhaust pipe and tip coloring. Titanium exhaust coloring gives a look into exhaust heat history. Higher heats will give that beautiful bluing. At 2000 miles my tips are not blue and the downpipes are just starting to color.
However I don't beat my vehicles....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look at exhaust pipe and tip coloring. Titanium exhaust coloring gives a look into exhaust heat history. Higher heats will give that beautiful bluing. At 2000 miles my tips are not blue and the downpipes are just starting to color.
However I don't beat my vehicles....
from what I can tell from close up pics, there is NO bluing on the tips or anywhere and they look perfectly fresh. This car im looking at has 4k miles on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first
Mac was a 675lt coupe .. owned for ten months .. and now bought a spider .. these cars are mental .. raw driving machines .. haven’t had any issues with the Coupe .. awaiting delivery of the spyder .. coupe has close to 15k miles now .. the more your drive them the lesser hiccups you have .. the garage queens concern me the most .. you give them a good heat cycle and everything busts into pieces dude to dry rotting and such .. just
my 2 cents !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
Not a fan of dark colors nor those wheels
Everything else looks great
It’s a 430k car for 220k And it’s a 675lt.
How can you go wrong if this is the one?

Reactions: zim32

·
Registered
77 Posts
Haven’t driven the 765LT yet but I get the sense from ALL the reviews I’ve seen that the 675 is still the best LT and may be the best MAC drivers car to date aside from the iconic F1. When a reviewer does not commit and compare a new car to the elephant in the room, you have your answer why.

The problem with many of these and similar cars is that many original owners are more into owning the latest and greatest than into driving. Buy what YOU like, not what you think other people like.

When buying an expensive used car, unless you have already budgeted for all eventualities or are in the car servicing business you should always buy such cars with at least 1 year of factory warranty and read the warranty description to understand what is and what is not covered by the warranty for that car. After buying the car you need to drive the car to the limits of its intended envelope while the warranty is in effect and have the car thoroughly inspected a couple of months before the warranty runs out. That’s what warranties are for.

The cars I buy generally stay with me until someone runs into them and they become uneconomical to repair.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
All I know is that I still get a lot of looks at my car and a lot of praise - and people always ask (who don't know what it is) did they just release that? The 675 to most people still looks fresh and beautiful. It's right before the Aero at all costs 765LT era, so will be remembered as such.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey Guys!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but what do you all think of the following car and spec? I'm thinking about making an offer.

Love that car minus the wheels I would change out if I bought the car which is easy to do. Go for it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The car is basically a twin to mine except I have the ultralight wheels. The color is phenomenal with the carbon fiber accents. I get tons of compliments on the paint alone. Does the car have Race or Touring size seats?

·
Registered
275 Posts
The car is basically a twin to mine except I have the ultralight wheels. The color is phenomenal with the carbon fiber accents. I get tons of compliments on the paint alone. Does the car have Race or Touring size seats?
Can you post a pic of your car as I love the color like to see with light weight wheels

1 - 20 of 24 Posts