McLaren Life banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am really happy to see a thread on Iris....I have been having some struggles with it myself (though I am relatively new to MP4).

On the subject of BT, when on the phone I hear people great but no one at the other end can understand me (horrible sound). I tried Jawbone and it just was not that great, I tried a set of phone ear and mic and that works great (as expected), but I just did not want to be tangled with the wires. So I decided to get creative. I thought perhaps the mic was not that good. I got a splitter for my phone. I connected one end to the Aux input and one to a mic. Then I tried it by making a call. I could hear people through the speakers and people could hear me from the "external" mic (and no wires, at least around my head!). The problem was that the sound was still not good enough for people. So I decided the problem was either the splitter or the mic (or perhaps closed loop feedback from the system)....I am waiting for a better quality splitter and I will test it and if people are interested I will be happy to report back.

BTW if you decide to use the phone ears and mic (which I will if my experiments don't work and if I don't blow up Iris in the process), and if you like streaming radio or listening to music from your phone (which I do with pandora, spotify etc.) then getting the splitter is a great idea. It works great , you can be listening to streaming radio and if you get a call and you answer it automatically switches to phone (vs streaming radio). BTW all of this is on my Android phone.

All this work around stuff can be fun, especially for the engineer/SW developer in me .....but reality is that Iris needs to improve IMO, especially given the quality of the rest of the car and the cost of the system. I have been thinking about suggesting to the community/forum that we compile a list of improvements for IRIS and then we submit it to McLaren. I think this can go a long way to get this stuff fixed. This is why I was happy to see this tread.

Items like: BT needs to work, NAV needs to know where you are, FM reception needs to improve dramatically etc. will of course be on top of the list. But we can come up with a list of items that they can improve on rather than having the engineers and the SW developers shoot in the dark or guess at them. Here are a few examples for the communities's consideration (and I have many more but these are just examples):

Suggested Improvements for Iris (Overall):
* Voice Activation
* Have the system go off uniformly/consistently (mine goes off sometimes when I turn off the engine, sometimes when I open the door to exit, sometimes when I lock the doors and sometimes 10 to 15 min after closing the doors and walking away!)

Suggested Improvements for Radio:
* Add at least an additional 9 Favorite Stations

Suggested Improvements for the phone:
* Add at least 9 Favorite People/Numbers (quick dial)
* Add basic functions such as redial

Suggested Improvements for Media:
* Recognizing folders on memory devices (this helps in organizing your music and in effect creating playlists)
* Hold down "next/Previous" button to forward/back the track at a faster speed (good for skipping parts of songs you don't like or to back track and listen to a part that you missed)
* When you hit the "previous" button when listening to a song/track from files (memory stick etc and not ipod) it goes all the way back to the previous track instead of the beginning of the Track. This happens regardless of how far into the track you are, whether in the middle or even at the very end of the track. This includes when you are within the first few seconds of the song which is fine as this is a typical feature on other "mature" systems, realizing you more than likely want to re-hear the previous track.

what do you guys think? should we try to help these guys in coming up with a better system?

Sorry for the super long reply

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks JK. Glad to see there is a list that is being complied. Would be great to somehow get it to McLaren when ready.

My SW version is 12 as well. Had it installed the first week I had it...so that is all I am familiar with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.