McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my custom downpipes and Xpipe today from Chris at unobtainium . To my knowledge this is the first ever full 3.5 inch downpipe and xpipe combo for the 720s.

I asked for this as I plan to crack the 1000hp barrier with my car down the road.

The work is absolutely amazing and just wanted to share a few pics.

Downpipes are inconel , coated and heat wrapped . Xpipe is obviously titanium.

Attachments

·
Vendor
204 Posts
Just got my custom downpipes and Xpipe today from Chris at unobtainium . To my knowledge this is the first ever full 3.5 inch downpipe and xpipe combo for the 720s.

I asked for this as I plan to crack the 1000hp barrier with my car down the road.

The work is absolutely amazing and just wanted to share a few pics.

Downpipes are inconel , coated and heat wrapped . Xpipe is obviously titanium.

Beautiful! Chris does some truly amazing work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Sponsor
1,349 Posts
Hi,

Gorgeous looking system! I just wanted to chime in in regards to the 3.5" system in the thread and wanted to let everyone know that Fabspeed has also developed and tested a full 3.5" downpipe/exhaust section for the IDS Supercars 720S build for TX2K (putting down 1,050whp). Though this vehicle was highly modified with larger Pure Turbochargers and tuned to take advantage of the larger 3.5" exhaust size, but it is not the optimal or recommended exhaust specification for standard street cars. With decades of experience and understanding from our engineers relating to various exhaust designs on Turbo cars, we found the full 3" design is the optimal and most efficient for these cars. The larger 3.5" system is overkill for stock turbo cars and can actually have a negative affect on the power and torque curves. These larger systems are optimal for cars with upgraded turbos running race fuel along with other supporting modifications.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Jaw Dropping Beautiful!!
Almost want to hang that on the wall. To bad you can’t see the exhaust better on the 720S.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why would a competitor jump in this thread with their own product commercial? Confused on that move! Nice work Unobtainium!

I don't sell their products, but I think this thread just got high jacked.
Agree. And I even have fabspeed on my car. Bad form though by them. Congrats to unobtanium. Looks killer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys , I will be doing a dyno soon to see the power gain off just the exhaust system alone before the tune and stuff.

That being said I think the fabspeed rep missed the part where I said I did the 3.5 inch because I plan to have over 1000hp .

Also the fabspeed system he is talking about is a straight pipe not an X pipe like this system .

·
Vendor
204 Posts
Why would a competitor jump in this thread with their own product commercial? Confused on that move! Nice work Unobtainium!

I don't sell their products, but I think this thread just got high jacked.

IMG_7199.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
What is the difference between a X pipe and a straight pipe?
Somewhat confusing terms... the exhaust on a McLaren goes from manifold->turbo->downpipe->x-pipe->tips.

The downpipe has the cats in them - two on each side. Aftermarket pipes have 1 cat, or no cats. Sometimes people refer to “catless” pipes as “straight pipes”.

The X-pipe is so named because it’s a literally X shape - ie combines exhaust from both side of the engine, then splits it again. This helps with scavenging and makes the combustion more efficient. The X-pipe section also has the muffler in it. Some people refer to no muffler as “straight pipe”, and sometimes people refer to eliminating the X (so the sides don’t merge) as a “straight pipe”.

Anyway, the definition of “straight pipe” seems to vary, and there isn’t really a standard definition.

Not sure what the OP meant in this particular situation - maybe no mufflers? I believe Fabspeed always put the X in their rear sections so not sure...

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Z , Fabspeeds rear section that they did for the green car thats 3.5inch is literally straight pipes . They deleted the X , that's what I was referring to .

·
Registered
423 Posts
Somewhat confusing terms... the exhaust on a McLaren goes from manifold->turbo->downpipe->x-pipe->tips.

The downpipe has the cats in them - two on each side. Aftermarket pipes have 1 cat, or no cats. Sometimes people refer to “catless” pipes as “straight pipes”.

The X-pipe is so named because it’s a literally X shape - ie combines exhaust from both side of the engine, then splits it again. This helps with scavenging and makes the combustion more efficient. The X-pipe section also has the muffler in it. Some people refer to no muffler as “straight pipe”, and sometimes people refer to eliminating the X (so the sides don’t merge) as a “straight pipe”.

Anyway, the definition of “straight pipe” seems to vary, and there isn’t really a standard definition.

Not sure what the OP meant in this particular situation - maybe no mufflers? I believe Fabspeed always put the X in their rear sections so not sure...

Thanks!

Z.
Thanks Z for that info!! I've always heard these terms but wasn't sure exactly what they meant. Once I get my car I'll hear it for myself and see if I'm going to upgrade the exhaust. I may want something louder but not a constant droning. i think down pipes might do it for me.

·
Sponsor
1,349 Posts
Hi everyone,

We just wanted to follow up - the OP was inquiring about whether anyone has fabricated a 3.5" system and we wanted to share our experience, findings and recommendations. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding!

This was not meant as solicitation as we do not make or plan to sell a 3.5" system for these cars. This was a unique customer request for a higher horsepower build which we were happy to be a part of, but again we don't sell these and don't plan too - it was just our intent to share our single experience with you guys.

As an exhaust manufacturer with years of experience with the McLaren marquee, we are here to provide community members with support, our findings and ample information when it comes to upgrading components for these exciting vehicles.

Thank you and let us know if anyone has any questions!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi everyone,

We just wanted to follow up - the OP was inquiring about whether anyone has fabricated a 3.5" system and we wanted to share our experience, findings and recommendations. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding!

This was not meant as solicitation as we do not make or plan to sell a 3.5" system for these cars. This was a unique customer request for a higher horsepower build which we were happy to be a part of, but again we don't sell these and don't plan too - it was just our intent to share our single experience with you guys.

As an exhaust manufacturer with years of experience with the McLaren marquee, we are here to provide community members with support, our findings and ample information when it comes to upgrading components for these exciting vehicles.

Thank you and let us know if anyone has any questions!
please can you elaborate how the 3.5 had negative effects? even for a standard road car, i would be highly opinionated that a 3.5 inch upgrade could not lose you any power, but only add to it....

·
Owner
428 Posts
please can you elaborate how the 3.5 had negative effects? even for a standard road car, i would be highly opinionated that a 3.5 inch upgrade could not lose you any power, but only add to it....
3.5" is overkill for a stock car. The cars require some backpressure to operate at optimum level.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts