McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woohoo! After a 6 plus month relentless search for a used 2012 coupe, I finally found the right optioned car and at the right price. I picked her up from San Francisco Mclaren and had a glorious 500-mile drive back home to the Los Angeles area. Even stuck in gridlock traffic, the car was still surprising comfortable...absolutely amazing for a high performance car of this caliber!

A couple days later and I now have put on nearly 1,000 miles, which is crazy considering the previous 2 owners had only clocked about 1,500 miles total over the last 2 freaking years. How can you not want to drive these cars? I guess I am still in honeymoon phase as I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning. In fact, every morning I open the garage just to make sure it's not all a dream. Hilarious!

Anyways, I just wanted to share the exciting news and thank all the generous members on this awesome forum for assisting me along the way especially Neelan, Wolf and Calvin. Cheers guys!

Of course, the acceleration is brutal but the whole driving experience is out of this world and it's really unique to anything I have ever driven before. I have had several Porsche's over the years and have driven other supercars before but this car is completely different especially the steering and handling. It's certainly challenging in that regards and I am looking forward to getting it out on my local track (Willow Springs) to really get a better feel for all the capabilities.

Here is a shot of the silver rocket ship below. This is the supernova silver. This paint is surreal in the sunshine and pics don't do it justice. The metallic flakes seem to pop with an iridescent sparkle in the sun. It also came with the roof wrapped in black, which provides a nice contrast IMO.

photo 3.jpg

·
Registered
703 Posts
Woohoo! After a 6 plus month relentless search for a used 2012 coupe, I finally found the right optioned car and at the right price. I picked her up from San Francisco Mclaren and had a glorious 500-mile drive back home to the Los Angeles area. Even stuck in gridlock traffic, the car was still surprising comfortable...absolutely amazing for a high performance car of this caliber!
View attachment 9825
Very nice!

I was looking at exactly that car, you pulled the trigger before I could :D.

I bought the 2012 black coupe today!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Congratulations Mike!,,,
Looks fantastic, I'm jealous of those ceramics:eek:

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's a beautiful looking specimen Mike.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Looks nice. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Congrats Mike! It's beautiful! And JM, congrats to you as well. Post a pic when you get a chance.

I'm so happy for you guys. Your excitement reminds me of when I first got the my car. Bit dream like, almost shock.

It's nice to see a bit of the kid in all of get all jazzed.

Enjoy your rides in great health, and hoping you have lots of great adventures with them.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Love the silver and grey contrast and those super light wheels! I'm jealous of the car, and as I look at the snow falling outside my window, I'm jealous of your weather!

-Jamie.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Attaboy Mike!!!! Glad you pulled the trigger.

Let me know when you stumble across a light volume track day @ Willow Springs. Me and a buddy would probably both want to sample a track day with our 12C's. Happy Holidays!!!!

Wolf

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Attaboy Mike!!!! Glad you pulled the trigger.

Let me know when you stumble across a light volume track day @ Willow Springs. Me and a buddy would probably both want to sample a track day with our 12C's. Happy Holidays!!!!

Wolf
Hi Wolf,

I'm doing Willow Springs tomorrow (Big Willow course) through Fast Lane . They run really small groups. Last time there were only about a dozen cars at the group compared to some other companies that have 40 - 50 that I have run with before in the past. Plus, they are more of a beginners company too, which suits my skill level. If you can't make it tomorrow, they do these events every month at the small track (Streets of Willow) and about every other month at the big track (Big Willow). You can PM for more info.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice!

I was looking at exactly that car, you pulled the trigger before I could :D.

I bought the 2012 black coupe today!
JM,

Congrats on the 2012 black beauty. I was lusting over it while I was filling out my paperwork. Black has always been my favorite color on cars. It looks especially menacing on the Mclaren!

Mike

·
Registered
807 Posts
Wow, 1000 miles in first weekend, and then tracking it on the 3rd day. Pretty impressive. Very nice car, love the wheels, and that Supernova Silver is really awesome in person. I saw one at Newport Beach and was really impressed with the depth of color. Cannot be captured in pics.

·
Registered
703 Posts
JM,

Congrats on the 2012 black beauty. I was lusting over it while I was filling out my paperwork. Black has always been my favorite color on cars. It looks especially menacing on the Mclaren!

Mike
Thanks! I haven't been able to match your pace, I'm up to ~300 miles now. I do plan to
daily drive this car, though, so it will be racking up the miles! The black is really pretty
when its clean, but it will be some work to keep it that way :).

I've been reading the owners manual and haven't seen any mention of this, do the carbon
ceramic brakes have any bedding in or burnishing procedure?

Some other cars have a process like "10 stops from 60 mph in less than 5 minutes",
with additional variations on that. Supposedly this can make quite a difference in brake
performance, but I don't know if it applies here?

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Thanks! I haven't been able to match your pace, I'm up to ~300 miles now. I do plan to
daily drive this car, though, so it will be racking up the miles! The black is really pretty
when its clean, but it will be some work to keep it that way :).

I've been reading the owners manual and haven't seen any mention of this, do the carbon
ceramic brakes have any bedding in or burnishing procedure?

Some other cars have a process like "10 stops from 60 mph in less than 5 minutes",
with additional variations on that. Supposedly this can make quite a difference in brake
performance, but I don't know if it applies here?
Yes - can't post the thread but if you do a search RC33 shared a very in depth thread on the process of street and track bedding.

Search - Bedding new CCM Brakes Pads/Rotors

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yes - can't post the thread but if you do a search RC33 shared a very in depth thread on the process of street and track bedding.

Search - Bedding new CCM Brakes Pads/Rotors
I thought we had eventually determined that the bedding in was done by McLaren prior to the car's delivery? RC33 was doing this as he upgraded his iron rotors after delivery?

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I thought we had eventually determined that the bedding in was done by McLaren prior to the car's delivery? RC33 was doing this as he upgraded his iron rotors after delivery?
Jerry - if I ordered one new and had all the info prior to delivery it would be safe to assume.

Otherwise it's well worth the time and effort - sort of like checking oil.

Wonder how many owners - here excluded of course check their oil let alone have any idea how.

Also - to the proud new owners.

***** When tracking there is a process to follow - make sure you know it or have an understanding of the warranty *****

·
Registered
715 Posts
Love the color and wheels. The stealth super lights look so cool I just bought a spare set for mine. And they shave off a burrito of unsprung weight to boot.

Great luck with her and Merry Christmas!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts