McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Richard Hammond called an SLR 722 "Hypercar Royalty" in comparison to an LP-670 SV. The 12c easily outruns a 722... Who knows what a "hypercar" is anymore, we're only talking a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hypercar, Supercar, does it really matter? I'm not a big fan of those terms myself.
I just call them sports cars.

That video was terrible. Tiff seemed to be judging the entire car on whether or not he could power-slide it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hypercar, Supercar, does it really matter? I'm not a big fan of those terms myself.

That video was terrible. Tiff seemed to be judging the entire car on whether or not he could power-slide it.
Yep, that was his entire remit. Quite sad really. Made me cringe when he said something like 'McLaren realised they'd made mistakes and corrected them'! As if it was just for him. They should have a default track and put some times in....
It's a two bob programme unfortunately .

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

IMHO - Tiff is an Idiot. The car isn't designed for power slides. Drifting(the sport) is an idiotic carnival show. The 12C is designed to be a powerful track weapon which can also double as an everyday exotic. The software/suspension is designed to minimize slides so that you get around the corner quicker. He is asking the car to do the complete opposite of that!:confused: Get a Z06 or a Nissan Silvia if you wanna drift!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMHO - Tiff is an Idiot. The car isn't designed for power slides. Drifting(the sport) is an idiotic carnival show. The 12C is designed to be a powerful track weapon which can also double as an everyday exotic. The software/suspension is designed to minimize slides so that you get around the corner quicker. He is asking the car to do the complete opposite of that!:confused: Get a Z06 or a Nissan Silvia if you wanna drift!!

Or even just a £25K Toyota GT86 :D

That does the job pretty well.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
More importantly, if you WANT to drift, turn the car into friggin Track mode.. Don't complain its trying to save you if you tell it to do so and you try confusing it as much as possible..

I drove both in a 458 Challenge and my 12C with a very good driver, and I hardly so a difference in performance and "fun"....

And I think the 458 was more aggressive simply because the driver knew the car better than the one that drove my 12C.

I spun out almost twice with my 12C yesterday, while it was in Track mode, managed to catch it though and it did not try to do anything stupid while it happened.

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
The car needs a slippy diff to be exploitative and consistent on(+ beyond) the limit . That is keeping the 12c from complete superiority . That , a nicer sounding engine and a more responsive throttle and the opposition at that price range ( ferrari , lambo etc ) may as well quit .
Interesting Goodwin admitted earlier cars were not right explaining the cars poor performance in tests vs 458 and how the results are so much better now .

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
The car needs a slippy diff to be exploitative and consistent on(+ beyond) the limit . That is keeping the 12c from complete superiority . That , a nicer sounding engine and a more responsive throttle and the opposition at that price range ( ferrari , lambo etc ) may as well quit .
Interesting Goodwin admitted earlier cars were not right explaining the cars poor performance in tests vs 458 and how the results are so much better now .
You and I are going to have to have a beer to discuss that point one day I think...

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Most British journalists hates the 12C. Tiff is no different.
I did not think that was a bad review , it merely stated for what Tiff finds enjoyable the car is a very close second to a 458 .
British journalists certainly do not hate the 12c , it rarely ( if ever) finishes lower than second
in any group comparison and many of its attributes are seen as class leading and unmatched ( even in the above video ).

You and I are going to have to have a beer to discuss that point one day I think...
It would be my pleasure but it could be better illustrated with a 458 , carrera gt etc and the 12c in a few laps on track . :)

I tell you the car would be STUPIDLY Good with a slippy .

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tanner Foust had no problem drifting this car in the American Top Gear. He made it look so smooth and easy.

·
OWNER
99 Posts
Tanner Foust had no problem drifting this car in the American Top Gear. He made it look so smooth and easy.
Exactly. Chris Harris had no problem drifting it either. Tiff is getting old and incompetent. He's not like what he used to be...Also Fifth Gears drinks a lot Ferrari Kool-Aids.

This is still possibly my favourite review of the car. Henry certainly doesn't hate it :D
Evo likes everything!! Their videos are more like an info-commercial.

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
I think the ability to drift the car is not in question . Almost everything can play silly buggers ( 12c included ) I think it is a lack of consistency of reaction of the car at or above the limit ( as the electronics struggle to do the job of a slippy and the hydraulic suspension tries to "guess" what you want ) that is the point in question here ( this could possibly be even worse in the wet ).

This is only noticeable on track at or above the cars limits and only with all the electronic systems disengaged .

However on the other hand something like the 458 is not as fast ( in a line , or on track ) and is not as comfortable as a 12c , so one takes ones pic .

Personally I chose 12c over 458 for looks , interior , usability , real world pace ( and comfort ) as well as the fact that its a mclaren .

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Tiff is getting old and incompetent. He's not like what he used to be...Also Fifth Gears drinks a lot Ferrari Kool-Aids.
sorry but that is just plain wrong .

Tiff is hardly the only person on earth to choose a 458 over a 12c and calling him old and incompetent is borderline madness . If anything 'till the 458 came along they were called Porsche fanboys ...

The man can drive , of that there should be no doubt .

Again NO ONE says you cant drift the car . Take of the Mclaren cap and listen to the review please :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It's beyond me why McLaren would let fifth gear test the car again with Goodwin there to boot. Tiff pretty much still chose the 458 at the end. Can someone please send an A list marketing firm to Woking before it's too late! can't blame this one on sheriff:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yep, that was his entire remit. Quite sad really. Made me cringe when he said something like 'McLaren realised they'd made mistakes and corrected them'! As if it was just for him. They should have a default track and put some times in....
It's a two bob programme unfortunately .
What you said! Tiff even suggested they change the steering wheel:eek: AMATEURS!

·
OWNER
99 Posts
sorry but that is just plain wrong .

Tiff is hardly the only person on earth to choose a 458 over a 12c and calling him old and incompetent is borderline madness . If anything 'till the 458 came along they were called Porsche fanboys ...

The man can drive , of that there should be no doubt .

Again NO ONE says you cant drift the car . Take of the Mclaren cap and listen to the review please :)
He can chooses whatever he wants but to criticize a car for his inability to drift it is ludicrous. All i know is most British journalists hates the 12c. I prefer hearing it from real life owners. Not taking off my McLaren cap anytime soon. Enjoying it too much.:cool:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Exactly. Chris Harris had no problem drifting it either. Tiff is getting old and incompetent. He's not like what he used to be...Also Fifth Gears drinks a lot Ferrari Kool-Aids.

These idiots on 5th gear have a special place in the pussy "im afraid of ferrari" pantheon. So apparently what qualifies a car "today" as great is can it drift. I posit that the 458 is a piece of crap at drifting compared to and Nissan silvia. Why not pull out some other characteristic, like is it better then a ferrari in the critical "horsey logo on the car"? Is it better than a ferrari at being made in italy feature? Does it have the critical feature of having a "458" in its model name, darn, ferrari is better at it too. Who knew that drifting was the key feature of a super car. Weird, corvette does it well, but somehow that doesn't count in its favor.

Note, no one asked the question, is it FASTER? At the same speeds, which car is more controlled on the track? We know the answer to those questions. Problem is those answers don't work out well for ferrari. They dared not ask the question. Bunch of pussies.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts