McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I WANT this...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1089764_want-to-drive-better-on-track-ferrari-telemetry-can-help

I am sincerely hoping any 12C replacement / upgrade has this functionality and I desperate want this in my P1. Ferrari is now offering this in 458 Speciale, F12 and LaFerrari which makes me think they're really getting more customer-focused because stuff like this really sings to me. I suspect this is a result of getting Eddie Cue (a top executive at Apple and avid Ferrari customer) on their board!

With both Ferrari and Corvette doing this it seems like a racing-focused company like McLaren should be able to match this. I love how Ferrari Telemetry works with the iPad! That's the perfect device to take to the race track to review your laps between runs out on the track.

I currently use Harry's Lap Timer when I take my 12C to the track but a fully integrated, built-in, multi-camera, solution that tied into the cars' network (so it can read steering angle, throttle, brake, RPM, etc.), using the car's user interface and providing offline telemetry review would absolutely ideal. Ferrari's solution is extremely impressive. Corvette's is also impressive.

Here's the embedded version on YouTube

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Yeah that's properly cool... its cool that all the competition is driving innovation... soon there will be the journo's saying 'I like it, but the McLaren has the better telemetry system so I'd go for that'...

Sad that all the initial intentions for iris never got realised...

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Looks awesome. But I must admit, it's aiming pretty high for companies that can't get basic GPS navigation and air conditioning implemented properly. :p

·
Registered
715 Posts
Looks awesome. But I must admit, it's aiming pretty high for companies that can't get basic GPS navigation and air conditioning implemented properly. :p
Absolutely. But anyone who has used the human interface on the 458 knows it's the worst. Not an intuitive command in the bunch so having the same interface for the telemetry sucks. Disclaimer: sour grapes.

It is sad that the object of our affections is hobbled by lackluster intent with regard to the info/telemetry system. Can such innovators be so blinded to real world users and their interface with the machine? As a huge supporter of Mclaren I can't find too much to support being an apologist about this. IMHO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What shows in the video is really cool stuff, and if the data analysis is automated (which it appears to be) and accurate that's a big step It looks interesting and I'd like to know more about both the GM and Ferrari versions. I have used pretty much all the race data systems except BOSCH at one time or another and frankly can't see any use for them in a street car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That is good.
A really good way to do this is to embed a WiFi acess point that outputs data and video streaming. Then someone does does a app on an IPAD which does the whole thing for you. No need to build all the smarts into the cars electronics and no need for the car manufacturer to figure out the whole product, just provide the data!

·
Registered
312 Posts
That is a really awesome system with so much information it makes my head spin - however, I would want a physical plug I could pull to deactivate the telemetry when I want it off-line, or I could not drive the car on public roads anymore, knowing every spook in the country is watching real-time how much throttle I apply on my favored on-ramp stomps. :eek:

But whom am I kidding, it's most likely happening already.......

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
That is a really awesome system with so much information it makes my head spin - however, I would want a physical plug I could pull to deactivate the telemetry when I want it off-line, or I could not drive the car on public roads anymore, knowing every spook in the country is watching real-time how much throttle I apply on my favored on-ramp stomps. :eek:

But whom am I kidding, it's most likely happening already.......
I agree 100% - have it as an accessory for every reason why we buy 0 - 60 3 second cars that go 200 mph.

This post will be deleted by sunrise :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts