McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had several Fcars currently own a 360 Coupe 6spd manual that I love and will not sell and a 2013 Cali -30 which is a great car just doesn't light me up. I am considering a McLaren 12C, what are some of the things I should look out for? Is it a problem to get in and out of the car in your garage if you have multiple cars? Any feedback would be appreciated. I live in northern NY and therfore would probably buy the car in CT. Any good or bad experiences in Greenwich?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
just make sure the car has had all the available updates and as all cars are still under warrenty there are no issues that should worry you,so go for the spec that floats your boat:)
As for room,as long as you have at least 2ft of space that's enough to open the doors,bearing in mind the wing mirrors of your other vehicles,good hunting!! And ask as many questions as you want,you will get an honest answer on here,as we have collectively seen everything !

·
Registered
123 Posts
The best McLaren salesman that I dealt with in the entire country (and I literally called up every dealer here!) was Peter Chiappone @ McLaren Greenwich; very professional, always quick to respond to my questions, and just an awesome guy. I'm nearly positive that you'll absolutely love the 12C. I finally drove a 458 this past weekend, and couldn't believe just how much faster the 12C is (or at least, feels). Happy shopping, and I look forward to seeing the first photos of your new car!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'll put in my recommendation for Mclaren of Long Island. Brian Noll there is great and as a brand spanking new dealer, they are extremely enthusiastic.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I think the Long Island dealer is a satellite location of McLaren in Greenwich. Both are under Miller Motorcars who have been around for quite a while and represent a bunch of high end brands. I've talked to Peter a couple times as well and he knows his stuff and if he doesn't have an answer, he was very good about getting back quickly once he talked to the right people on his end.

Ionman, if you have more questions on the Greenwich dealer, you can append them here:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-lounge/2282-mclaren-greenwich-miller-motorcars.html

I received a few PMs outside the thread that all had good things to say about both Miller / McLaren Greenwich as well as dealing with Peter specifically.

Good luck in your search!

-nh4.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I remember you, lonman! Been a while! I've dealt with Alessandro from McLaren of SF and IMHO he was quite good as well so that's another to add to the "pot" of good salespeople. But then again you're on the other side of the country so....

·
Registered
104 Posts
+1 on Peter, Long Island is pretty good but I don't know if they have the maintenance department setup yet for the Mac or if they are shipping out to CT? Advantage to CT is that they have so many brands under their umbrella so you can test drive and compare the Mac to an Aston Martin or Bugatti !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will probably go to CT. I need to drive the car before I start making changes and negotiating. Seems like a buyers market right now for these cars

·
Registered
27 Posts
Miller Motorcars is excellent. Bought 2 F cars there and most recently my Mac Spider. Peter C. is knowledgeable and truly committed to McLaren, a believer, a true pro. Service department is excellent, head Mac tech has been there a long time and was one of the best Ferrari wrenches in the business. Service facility in Stamford will blow you away.

As an aside, talked to several Ferrari North America people at Lime Rock this past weekend. They were very curious about the Mac, why I changed from my 458, comparing the two. Listened intently, were not defensive. I offered them the keys. My read, they hear the footsteps and are beginning to feel the impact of the 12C.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drove a 12c today must say I was impressed. What do you think a good discount would be off sticker? Seems like you can get a great deal on a 2012 coupe I personally would rather have a spyder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello

I owned a F430 and a 458 italia. Not knowing if I would really like the 12c I traded my F430 and kept the the 458. Only after 2 weeks using the 12C. I am ready to sell my 458. The 12C is an amazing fun to drive car! It rocks!

BTW

If you are looking for a slightly use pamper 12c give Mark Brenner from sky motors of west chester PA a call. He is selling the car from a good friend who just got an FF. the 12c MSRP was 280k " loaded" and there asking is 206k. The car only has 1500 miles Marks number is 610 389 2456. Mention the forum and my name is Charlie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Charlie. Vincent I also have a 2013 California 30 very powerful car, don't let the look or the GT thing fool you the Cali is a very fast car. Although I loved the test drive today I feel there is something missing in the 12C. If I had to pinpoint I would say it is more in line with a Audi R8 V10 then a Ferrari. Once again just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Ionman: You should definitely get another Ferrari then.

I like the comparison to the Audi in that the 12C can be a very nice daily driver. Of course the 12C is a terrorist performance wise, it's way faster than the Audi or the 458, but if you have a fuzzy "something" you find is missing from the car, you'd be nuts to get it. Just an opinion as well.

For example, after driving the 458, I found it missing something too: speed and handling. It was just too slow and couldnt go through the turns fast enough for me. As always, what factors matter to each person are highly subjective, so your mileage may vary.

Regardless, it's a great bit of fun and a privilege to do this kind of shopping, so wishing you good luck with your next car, which ever one you choose! The good news is no matter which one you choose, these are all amazing cars!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Normally I'd agree with jk but in this case I might suggest more seat time. If there's one thing today reminded me of, it's that this car grows on you like no other. I posted many months ago about finally having that day where you feel one with the car. It has been no turning back for me ever since and every spirited drive just re-confirms it; the air-ripping acceleration, the fingertip control of the steering and the unflappable poise over mixed road conditions. It's like a supercar from the future hard-wired into your nervous system.

I'd say get another (and if possible much longer) test drive. Then, if you're still not convinced then you may be looking for something else in a sports car. However, I'd be lying if I said the novelty has worn off. It just keeps getting better. (Mind you, I will admit that if I'd driven on my first test drive the way that I drive my car nowadays, I most certainly would not have been invited back).

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I agree with you 6th. I'm assuming he had a good/thorough test drive, but you're right, if he didn't get a chance to push it, and really feel what the car can do, it can be pretty lame.

For example, I first took out the 458 (loved it!). Then when I first took the Mac out in normal/normal settings, I felt like I was driving on marmalade roads. Had I just put-put'd along, I'm not sure I would have gotten the Mac.

For both the 458 and the Mac, when the salesperson told me to "turn here, go there" I politely said, "sorry but I won't be listening to you" and gave it the beans and drove rather mad. The sales person forgave me and understood I wasn't shopping for a car that would be going 25mph most of the time.

So it's important, to me at least, to get a test drive where you can really stretch the legs out on these cars.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I agree with you 6th. I'm assuming he had a good/thorough test drive, but you're right, if he didn't get a chance to push it, and really feel what the car can do, it can be pretty lame.

For example, I first took out the 458 (loved it!). Then when I first took the Mac out in normal/normal settings, I felt like I was driving on marmalade roads. Had I just put-put'd along, I'm not sure I would have gotten the Mac.

For both the 458 and the Mac, when the salesperson told me to "turn here, go there" I politely said, "sorry but I won't be listening to you" and gave it the beans and drove rather mad. The sales person forgave me and understood I wasn't shopping for a car that would be going 25mph most of the time.

So it's important, to me at least, to get a test drive where you can really stretch the legs out on these cars.
There's the rub. If you're not triggering brake steer, you're probably not feeling much pizazz. If you are triggering brake steer, you're probably doing something very naughty.

A Ferrari is better for feeling like you are going fast, no argument there. For actually going fast, however, in real world conditions, nothing Ferrari makes can touch the 12C. Only the P1 will top it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts