McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 457 Posts

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from another site :

A number of new details have been released regarding Ferrari’s new flagship, the Ferrari F150 aka Enzo Successor. The information coming Autocar stated that the engine performance will reach a maximum of 850 to 900bhp and that the dry weight is only 1,100kg, 265kg lighter than reported earlier. According to company sources, the vehicle will be a true road-legal competition sports car.
Ferrari told the magazine that the whole car from the radical race-car driving position to the radical active aerodynamics will take the driving experience even closer to the fabled idea of a Formula 1 car for the road. The use of carbon fiber is evident after we saw the new monocoque in Paris two months ago. The new monocoque is cutting edge technology. It is said to be 20 percent lighter and but 27 percent stiffer than the Enzo’s chassis. A nomex honeycomb structure has been used which is sandwiched between two layers of hi-grade carbon fiber. Ferrari fitted a Kevlar protective plate on to the underside of the body, which protects components placed below the monocoque.

The mid-engine two-seater supercar will have a more fuel economic setup including a Formula 1-style KERS hybrid system. The electric motor is integral to a new torque-vectoring system. The total performance of the 7.3 liter V12 engine will be around 900hp, which means the F70 will have the highest horsepower of any street-legal Ferrari ever made. The F150’s CO2 emissions are claimed to be as much as 40 percent lower than would have been the case with the new V12 engine on its own. The engine features a new dual-clutch gearbox and a differential design.
Entering the supercar means opening the roof-hinged doors like the Enzo. The seating position for the driver is fixed in the monocoque and the seat itself will be moulded for the driver as a bespoke unit. The driver sits upright and his feet will also be raised up, race-car style.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Andy, Ferrari are using 7 stone works drivers next year. Plus Redex in the petrol. Rumour also has it they are chilling the induction air on the press cars.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Some very interesting information, there. If it is accurate it suggests a few things to me. I would imagine that the only way to achieve that low a weight while still having a 7.3 L V12 w KERS and a DCT transmission is if the car is actually quite small. The monocoque shown in Paris did look very compact, so perhaps this is the case, despite the spy photos that look like a rather large mule. Certainly, the integrated seats and movable pedal box will shave some weight and I have heard rumours of hollow-spoke wheels, etc. Still, one would think that 1100kg is a very low weight, unless the car is completely stripped out a la F40. Even then, the electronics (and supporting cables) would add back significant poundage. I do notice that the article says "dry weight", which we all know is a moving target, open to many interpretations.

I have been hearing that P1 will be "approx the same weight as the 12C", which suggests to me that the savings made in using all carbon body panels has been offset somewhat by the drivetrain (KERS and perhaps a displacement bump from 3.8L). We know that P1 is relatively close to the 12C in outer dimensions, i.e. it is not a mini supercar. Antony Sheriff did say that it will be every bit as usable as the 12C, perhaps set up slightly stiffer as default to suit the nature of the beast, so to speak.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
relax everyone, too much noise/static out there...

I dunno about all this F70 this/that at this stage of the game. I still believe the P1 will be a rung above the F70 in the hyper super-car strata, in terms of performance. Also, the McLaren halo offering will be priced at a tier above the Ferrari halo offering. And, the F70 will not disappoint in terms of styling & sense (site+sound), as to be expected from Ferrari. Other than being a somewhat similar time-frame of development/release & being alpha-offerings from McLaren & Ferrari, I don't think they're apples-to-apples per'se.

Long-story-short... there will be the P1 at this level, and then there will be the F70, 918, Huayra, Agera, et'al at that level.

Just my 2-pence from afar! :D

This cannot be correct. If it is, it is crazy IMO.
That's not really a big deal, actually. A fixed-seat position is a given on the F70 as-per the Paris CF-tub images. And personalized foam-molding the seat cushions on a race-seat for a custom-fit is a simple process, commonplace in pleb karting, rallying, drag-racing, spec-racing, and other mainstream motorsports. I'd imagine those signing-on for an F70 will head to Maranello at some point of their acquisition process for a more personalized booking experience. And, then get their derrieres blueprinted (by sitting on some soft, uncured aqueous-foam! :p

With that said, I'm not so sure how I'd feel about such a personalized/specialized interior enhancement on a road-going & owner/driver transferable platform. I can understand such on the FXX & MC12, but not on an Enzo-successor. May be a lumbar/bolster/thigh pneumatic-bladder actuated system would offer similar customized fit but more versatility (multiple-drivers, comfort adjustment for grand-touring rather than exclusive track/sport motoring).

Just thinking out-loud! :cool:

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Some very interesting information, there. If it is accurate it suggests a few things to me. I would imagine that the only way to achieve that low a weight while still having a 7.3 L V12 w KERS and a DCT transmission is if the car is actually quite small. The monocoque shown in Paris did look very compact, so perhaps this is the case, despite the spy photos that look like a rather large mule. Certainly, the integrated seats and movable pedal box will shave some weight and I have heard rumours of hollow-spoke wheels, etc. Still, one would think that 1100kg is a very low weight, unless the car is completely stripped out a la F40. Even then, the electronics (and supporting cables) would add back significant poundage. I do notice that the article says "dry weight", which we all know is a moving target, open to many interpretations.

I have been hearing that P1 will be "approx the same weight as the 12C", which suggests to me that the savings made in using all carbon body panels has been offset somewhat by the drivetrain (KERS and perhaps a displacement bump from 3.8L). We know that P1 is relatively close to the 12C in outer dimensions, i.e. it is not a mini supercar. Antony Sheriff did say that it will be every bit as usable as the 12C, perhaps set up slightly stiffer as default to suit the nature of the beast, so to speak.
My thoughts too.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Also, the McLaren halo offering will be priced at a tier above the Ferrari halo offering.
Based on figures quoted by early depositors it sounds like the McLaren P1 will ring up a little cheaper than the Ferrari Whatever, by about $100K US.

A very well informed source on FChat claims the F70 will be nowhere near the weight Autocar publsihed.

>8^)
ER

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Based on figures quoted by early depositors it sounds like the McLaren P1 will ring up a little cheaper than the Ferrari Whatever, by about $100K US.
Wow, that's quite a hike from the anticipated price-increase after the Enzo ($660k USD MSRP) & I'd have assumed the F70 to be $850k - $875k (USD).

Then again, the moment the Enzo went off the lot- it nearly doubled in value. So perhaps Maranello has adjusted accordingly.

Interesting stuff...

F40: ~$318k (USD) MSRP
F50: ~$480k (USD) MSRP
Enzo: ~$660k (USD) MSRP

A very well informed source on FChat claims the F70 will be nowhere near the weight Autocar published.
Yups, the ragz gotta sell & the blogz gotta generate page hits! :D

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
The timing of this information being "leaked" seems more than coincidental, given the P1 unveil. I do wonder if the F70's spec has changed, in response. i.e. P1 is not simply a stripped out track toy, it is a usable road car, as was the Enzo. Perhaps Ferrari has decided to position F70 differently to avoid direct comparison.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

I have been hearing that P1 will be "approx the same weight as the 12C", which suggests to me that the savings made in using all carbon body panels has been offset somewhat by the drivetrain (KERS and perhaps a displacement bump from 3.8L). We know that P1 is relatively close to the 12C in outer dimensions, i.e. it is not a mini supercar. Antony Sheriff did say that it will be every bit as usable as the 12C, perhaps set up slightly stifferas default to suit the nature of the beast, so to speak.
With 900+hp and only 1100kg:eek:.........the P1 appears to be outgunned at least on paper straight line times, with the P1 about 1300kg (similar size as 12C) and only about 800+hp.......could end up an EPIC FAIL for McLaren unless a stellar track time (any track!) is officially RELEASED:rolleyes:......as Ron said awhile 'it will be a difficult climb......'
GOT THAT RIGHT!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Seriously, it WON'T be 1100kg without being ridiculously spartan (and I mean no A/C, radio, power anything, etc). My guess is closer to 1200kg like the P1 should be. Add in that it won't have as much downforce as the P1 due to being designed more to look good than go fast all that power won't mean much other than going in a straight line. Trust me, I'll donate a kidney to a hospital if it weighs 1100kg.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Seriously, it WON'T be 1100kg without being ridiculously spartan (and I mean no A/C, radio, power anything, etc). My guess is closer to 1200kg like the P1 should be. Add in that it won't have as much downforce as the P1 due to being designed more to look good than go fast all that power won't mean much other than going in a straight line. Trust me, I'll donate a kidney to a hospital if it weighs 1100kg.
Dont do that Mitch,you need that kidney to sell to get your P1 ;)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If the P1 is 3.8lbs/hp and it produces as rumored 800hp (maybe higher) that's a weight of 3040lbs probably DRY:eek:........that's a lot more than 1200kg (2646lbs):eek: WTF!

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no point getting excited at non confirmed figures . come on gents these arent the first cars released in history , we have seen all this before .

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Are those the real specs widow? Do we really know the exact HP figure? They could just be low balling with the 800hp figure you know....less of the OMG OMG OMG and a bit more reality for you I think....

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are those the real specs widow? Do we really know the exact HP figure? They could just be low balling with the 800hp figure you know....less of the OMG OMG OMG and a bit more reality for you I think....
figures are not released by mclaren , thats a calculation magazines made on a quoted weight to hp ratio

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
F70 at RUMORED 960hp n 1100kg........that's 2.5lbs/hp. Can you say LIGHTENING QUICK!!!!!!!!!!:eek:.......if true will OUT TRACK P1! you can count on it:D

1 - 20 of 457 Posts