McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another review where the journalists literally just regurgitate what previous reviews have said :mad::mad::mad:

These guys really annoyed me. I'm posting the video so you guys can join me in being annoyed at them :D

·
Owner
544 Posts
Without actually seeing the video i can tell you that the summary was that the 12c is faster, but the 458 was more exciting.....us Coupe owners have been hearing this since 2011 and it will not change until the new 12c arrives in 2018.....so just get used to it like we have.....i dont get annoyed any more...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Is there no pride in the UK when it comes to your own cars? Even if the Ferrari was actually the better car, shouldn't British auto journalists be biased toward McLaren anyway?? Do you think that Italian reviewers are saying, "Hey pisano, thatta 4-5-8 issa nice-a car, but I-a really prefer the faster McLaren, well, because itsa justa better inna every measurable cat-e-gory". I think not.

That's it - my next car is a red, white and blue Corvette (or Ford F150) with seats made from baseball gloves, apple pie-scented air fresheners, and a horn that plays God Bless America.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there no pride in the UK when it comes to your own cars? Even if the Ferrari was actually the better car, shouldn't British auto journalists be biased toward McLaren anyway?? Do you think that Italian reviewers are saying, "Hey pisano, thatta 4-5-8 issa nice-a car, but I-a really prefer the faster McLaren, well, because itsa justa better inna every measurable cat-e-gory". I think not.

That's it - my next car is a red, white and blue Corvette (or Ford F150) with seats made from baseball gloves, apple pie-scented air fresheners, and a horn that plays God Bless America.
The weird thing is we actually do have a lot of pride when it comes to our own manufacturing. Did you see the 'Best of British' Top Gear episode?

For some reason a lot of our journalists can't seem to find it within them just to give McLaren a bit of support. I see this changing once the P1 reviews start to come out.

·
Banned
111 Posts
i would love to do some reviews of supercars as im not a journalist and only prob going to be able to afford one if i won the lottery like most people, im a bit of a tech head and read a lot about cars and take info in. I also get to work on many super cars so see lots of little features and details on the cars, so i would just point out good bits and bad bits and then get a 1st had raw account of my reaction to driving them, and then get you the audience to make your decision. Every car is not perfect and we all like certain brands and can read about them as much as you like but until you have driven them for the first time and caught it on camera i think this will be good, especially as i only own a 200hp VW corrado G60.

There is far to much talk about shifting in milliseconds, ring times and how well a car can drift when in reality most cruise through cities, im more interested in the shape and feel of paddles and shifts the ride comfort ergonomics how they make you feel and even Tyre prices and service costs.

i think i might start a blog and do my corrado first then maybe a 12C and see what happens, anythings possible, the problem is my midlands accent, this will be lost on our US members.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would love to do some reviews of supercars as im not a journalist and only prob going to be able to afford one if i won the lottery like most people, im a bit of a tech head and read a lot about cars and take info in. I also get to work on many super cars so see lots of little features and details on the cars, so i would just point out good bits and bad bits and then get a 1st had raw account of my reaction to driving them, and then get you the audience to make your decision. Every car is not perfect and we all like certain brands and can read about them as much as you like but until you have driven them for the first time and caught it on camera i think this will be good, especially as i only own a 200hp VW corrado G60.

There is far to much talk about shifting in milliseconds, ring times and how well a car can drift when in reality most cruise through cities, im more interested in the shape and feel of paddles and shifts the ride comfort ergonomics how they make you feel and even Tyre prices and service costs.

i think i might start a blog and do my corrado first then maybe a 12C and see what happens, anythings possible, the problem is my midlands accent, this will be lost on our US members.
Which part of the Midlands? I'm from Coventry and I was in America last month and none of them had a hard time understanding me!

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
No surprise there.

Where is the CF tub active aero brake steer etc ...

The 458 as a chic - blonde hair double D's wearing a turtleneck - metal engine cover.

The MP4 as a chic - brunette perky C's in a thong - glass engine cover.

Now we all now why we are here :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Seriously. 2 days of reviewing and all they produce is that turd of a review. Horrendeous. I don't even mind the outcome, it's just the crappy review with no rationale, other than the 12C is clearly faster and better handling, but we think the ferrari is more fun. So if I gave them a kia and tied balloons to the steering wheel and taped cotton candy to the wheel, they'd choose the kia over the ferrari then?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Seriously. 2 days of reviewing and all they produce is that turd of a review. Horrendeous. I don't even mind the outcome, it's just the crappy review with no rationale, other than the 12C is clearly faster and better handling, but we think the ferrari is more fun. So if I gave them a kia and tied balloons to the steering wheel and taped cotton candy to the wheel, they'd choose the kia over the ferrari then?
A KIA with balloons AND cotton candy - where do I sign ;)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Wow, sounds like everyone is getting pretty upset! Relaaaax, it's all ok.

As a McLaren newby and a Ferrari owner, I humbly offer my, no doubt flawed, perspective.

Ferraris are emotional and fabulous things. I get why journalists, many of whom will never own cars like these, love Ferraris. I feel exactly the same way myself - I love the history, the completely illogical approach to building cars that comes from gifted but passionate Italians.

I know it was Bugatti who said "I build cars to go fast not to stop" when defending why terrible Bugatti brakes often killed his customers, but it seems that sort of thinking is pretty foundational for all those fabulous cars from Italy. In other words, buying a supercar is in itself an extravagance so shouldn't a car that is extravagant over functional be a car that everyone celebrates? I have no problem with that.

The emotion behind it all is a palpable part of the ownership experience for a Ferrari. A McLaren is a bit different. The factory is very clinical, a surfeit of efficiency over raw emotion, but no less 'passionate' for that. It's different. I love the difference, enough to buy a 12C, which is just a fantastic thing as most of you already know.

People say the 12C has no soul, which is complete rubbish. It has a different one to a Ferrari, less immediately obvious to a non-owner or a journalist, but as an owner it's personality is much more subtle and equally as beguiling.

When I picked up my 12C, there was Ayrton Senna's last McLaren F1 race car sitting next to it. Pause for thought. Wow, I'm hooked. How can I not have a deep connection with this car?

I absolutely love the calm efficiency, the dedication to achieving a goal, the determination to win, all of the historical stuff that now defines McLaren products. Less emotional, more subtle, no less passionate.

If you look at McLaren as an owner, you know you will have enough time to develop a strong bond with the much more subtle character of the McLaren. If you are looking as a car enthusiast, journalist, schoolboy etc. it is easy to see why the more obvious and immediate appeal of the Ferrari seduces in the way it does.

Me? I love both and I know enough of my own mind to not feel grumpy about some journalist seeing things differently.

Don't worry, whatever any journalist says, the 12C is an absolutely mega car to own.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Wow, sounds like everyone is getting pretty upset! Relaaaax, it's all ok.

As a McLaren newby and a Ferrari owner, I humbly offer my, no doubt flawed, perspective.

Ferraris are emotional and fabulous things. I get why journalists, many of whom will never own cars like these, love Ferraris. I feel exactly the same way myself - I love the history, the completely illogical approach to building cars that comes from gifted but passionate Italians.

I know it was Bugatti who said "I build cars to go fast not to stop" when defending why terrible Bugatti brakes often killed his customers, but it seems that sort of thinking is pretty foundational for all those fabulous cars from Italy. In other words, buying a supercar is in itself an extravagance so shouldn't a car that is extravagant over functional be a car that everyone celebrates? I have no problem with that.

The emotion behind it all is a palpable part of the ownership experience for a Ferrari. A McLaren is a bit different. The factory is very clinical, a surfeit of efficiency over raw emotion, but no less 'passionate' for that. It's different. I love the difference, enough to buy a 12C, which is just a fantastic thing as most of you already know.

People say the 12C has no soul, which is complete rubbish. It has a different one to a Ferrari, less immediately obvious to a non-owner or a journalist, but as an owner it's personality is much more subtle and equally as beguiling.

When I picked up my 12C, there was Ayrton Senna's last McLaren F1 race car sitting next to it. Pause for thought. Wow, I'm hooked. How can I not have a deep connection with this car?

I absolutely love the calm efficiency, the dedication to achieving a goal, the determination to win, all of the historical stuff that now defines McLaren products. Less emotional, more subtle, no less passionate.

If you look at McLaren as an owner, you know you will have enough time to develop a strong bond with the much more subtle character of the McLaren. If you are looking as a car enthusiast, journalist, schoolboy etc. it is easy to see why the more obvious and immediate appeal of the Ferrari seduces in the way it does.

Me? I love both and I know enough of my own mind to not feel grumpy about some journalist seeing things differently.

Don't worry, whatever any journalist says, the 12C is an absolutely mega car to own.
Lukey, in the few minutes it took you, you did a far far better job of explaining the differences between the cars than those crap reviewers. Again, I don't have any problem with the outcome. People's opinions will vary. They just did an awful job of explaining the cars and their reasoning, considering the amount of time they were given with both cars.

And it's a bigger problem I have with the car press, and the press at large. They do not inform. If anything, it seems they misinform in the name of their own pursuits. Perhaps that's been going on forever, but it's still annoying as it skews history/reality for those without the opportunity to try things out for themselves and form their own opinions.

·
Registered
69 Posts
+1 I think you have something here john..

Am I the only one who's actually owned a Kia?
You're not the only one - I still have a KIA Sportage. I discovered I couldn't fit surfboards in either the McLaren or the Porshce (serious interior design flaw ;))

·
OWNER
99 Posts
Another McLaren bashing from the British journalist. I rather the see video on Kia with balloon and cotton candy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts