Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How does that compare to... anything?
I compared it to Fastestlaps.com best time of a 458 Italia, my guess is it was a "press" car, since it did 10.9 1/4 mile at over 130 mph, and I have only seen 1 customer car do like 11.1 at high 129.

Basically a 0 - 240 kph for the Speciale' in 16 seconds. Will look at Fastestlaps.com for some more comparisons.

Guessing something like these times:

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/ferrari_458_italia.html

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the 458 release Ferrari was using a challenge motor in press cars, just wondering if they were still doing that?
I doubt it. Just a more aggressive tune maybe, and or a car that had a blue printed engine, plus all the lightweight options, so the car actually produced 570 hp.

Was just thinking after watching the video, sounds like that stock exhaust is going to drone big time. Too bassy.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
For the 458 release Ferrari was using a challenge motor in press cars, just wondering if they were still doing that?
I don't think there is a difference.

The Challenge cars are faster because of the reduced weight.

But there are a lot of things someone / factory can do to a stock engine to make more hp without changing a stock part.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I thought the challenge ecus were programmable? Maybe I'm wrong. In any case thanks for the vid looks like you had an awesome time.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I doubt it. Just a more aggressive tune maybe, and or a car that had a blue printed engine, plus all the lightweight options, so the car actually produced 570 hp.

Was just thinking after watching the video, sounds like that stock exhaust is going to drone big time. Too bassy.
I thought the same thing - perhaps having the valves always open would help.

Gotta admit there are some things about the Speciale that are very well done but the replacement is so close and with the Cali getting a turbo makes me wonder what the next generation will be.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I like the speciale, I think in black it looks ok. That said, nothing is compelling me to even remotely consider switching. The latest Lambo while very nice, also doesn't have me considering a switch. Nor does the latest 991 Turbo S. All lovely, but not more compelling than the current (and dare I say now getting dated) 12C--while dated still standing above even all these latest entrants in my mind.

If McLaren puts out a 12C S with same minimal improvements, I'll likely not swap as well. And I fear, that the 12C S will have a lot of the nose, fender, rear bumper drama as in the HS, which I'm not really a fan of.

So I suspect I may be waiting for the new version of the 12C, which if I recall is set for 2015, and I might wait a year or so to get the kinks out of it if it's radically different.

What's weird is relative to the insanely rich super car golden age we're lucky to be a part of, not to man cars have me excited. I love the P1, the 918, and very interested in the LaFa, but it's not in my pricing bracket, nor is the Pagaini, konnegg, or new SSC.

So while I'll root on the latest hypercard as a big fan, beyond that, nothing is jumping out at me in the "regular" super car price bracket.

You may be well right Champ. It might come down to the new 458 replacement and new 12C replacement around 2015...

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I like the speciale, I think in black it looks ok. That said, nothing is compelling me to even remotely consider switching. The latest Lambo while very nice, also doesn't have me considering a switch. Nor does the latest 991 Turbo S. All lovely, but not more compelling than the current (and dare I say now getting dated) 12C--while dated still standing above even all these latest entrants in my mind.

If McLaren puts out a 12C S with same minimal improvements, I'll likely not swap as well. And I fear, that the 12C S will have a lot of the nose, fender, rear bumper drama as in the HS, which I'm not really a fan of.

So I suspect I may be waiting for the new version of the 12C, which if I recall is set for 2015, and I might wait a year or so to get the kinks out of it if it's radically different.

What's weird is relative to the insanely rich super car golden age we're lucky to be a part of, not to man cars have me excited. I love the P1, the 918, and very interested in the LaFa, but it's not in my pricing bracket, nor is the Pagaini, konnegg, or new SSC.

So while I'll root on the latest hypercard as a big fan, beyond that, nothing is jumping out at me in the "regular" super car price bracket.

You may be well right Champ. It might come down to the new 458 replacement and new 12C replacement around 2015...
The new BMW is impressive - starting with the laser head lights it's very well done.

I bought the 850i which was my last BMW - but it's the only new dd tempting me.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Champ, agreed and I hear it's sold out. I'm also looking at the new NSX (despite not loving the looks), but both don't seem to be in the same league...

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Champ, agreed and I hear it's sold out. I'm also looking at the new NSX (despite not loving the looks), but both don't seem to be in the same league...
Taking nothing away from the Speciale - in the right colors it is a gorgeous car!

I don't think Ferrari or it's buyers care - the guys I know like Mark really want the Speciale and Mclaren is taking their time responding to it's appeal but when they do it has to be limited.

The thought of the I8 is as much for marketing as anything by adding charging stations. Batteries are a long way away from reality but the subsidies making it appealing.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought the challenge ecus were programmable? Maybe I'm wrong. In any case thanks for the vid looks like you had an awesome time.
Lol, was not me in the video, just found it on Youtube. ;)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

You may be well right Champ. It might come down to the new 458 replacement and new
12C replacement around 2015...
I have a hard time thinking the replacement will show up in 2015. More like 16 or 17 based on 5 year lifecycle.

991 GT3 is one I might consider. Not as fast, but looks fun.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I have a hard time thinking the replacement will show up in 2015. More like 16 or 17 based on 5 year lifecycle.

991 GT3 is one I might consider. Not as fast, but looks fun.
You could be right - they just extended the 458 Challenge by adding new bumpers and other safety equipment. I think the next gen 458 will follow the Cali's turbo lead.

I wonder if anything what Ferrari will do to produce an 18M from the 458.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You could be right - they just extended the 458 Challenge by adding new bumpers and other safety equipment. I think the next gen 458 will follow the Cali's turbo lead.

I wonder if anything what Ferrari will do to produce an 18M from the 458.
I was referring to Jkheit with regards to the 12C replacement. Has Ferrari won a 17th championship yet? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I was referring to Jkheit with regards to the 12C replacement. Has Ferrari won a 17th championship yet? ;)
Maybe that will raise the 16M prices like the rest of the world - shows how weak the F1 importance is in the US. I really think in time the 16M will be a collectors car.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe that will raise the 16M prices like the rest of the world - shows how weak the F1 importance is in the US. I really think in time the 16M will be a collectors car.
So does the guy in Florida with the 250 mile yellow one for sale. LOL 299k.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts