McLaren Life banner
121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
It’s not drag racing. Going fast and then slow is what you do around a track. It’s what you do tooling around the hillside on a curvy road. But yeah- diffeeent stokes for different folks I guess.
I was talking mainly regarding street driving. Like I said, I'm in a metro area, burbs usually. The roads that are fun will be short and you'll lose your car if a cop sees you hit 100 mph. So you give it the beans to experience a couple seconds of speed, then you brake hard because you don't want to get pulled over, or there's just traffic ahead. So not like track 0-100-50-100-25, but like 35-80-35-80-35-80 in a straight line.

In my experience, there are just too many traffic police in the US in most places or just too many cars in general in the places where you'd likely live.

So yeah, I obviously don't live near country roads. Would be great in Montana, rural UK/Europe, but suburban/populated US is not so great.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I was talking mainly regarding street driving. Like I said, I'm in a metro area, burbs usually. The roads that are fun will be short and you'll lose your car if a cop sees you hit 100 mph. So you give it the beans to experience a couple seconds of speed, then you brake hard because you don't want to get pulled over, or there's just traffic ahead. So not like track 0-100-50-100-25, but like 35-80-35-80-35-80 in a straight line.

In my experience, there are just too many traffic police in the US in most places or just too many cars in general in the places where you'd likely live.

So yeah, I obviously don't live near country roads. Would be great in Montana, rural UK/Europe, but suburban/populated US is not so great.
There seem to be plenty on this forum that find driving the super car in a metro area enjoyable and exciting. You seem to be the exception. And that’s fine. But maybe just stick to topics where you have something relevant to add because obviously if you’re not keen on driving a supercar where you live I’m not quite sure your posts are very relevant.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Let’s maybe get back to the topic of discussing the 296. I was just offered an allocation by my dealer. Not sure if I’m gonna take it. They are saying anticipated delivery roughly a year from now. I’m really wanting to drive it to Compared to my non-hybrid cars that I own and see the difference.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Braking from 100 to 50 every few seconds and then back up to 100 sounds to me like an awesome experience. That to me is driving and exciting.

But what do I know. I enjoy cars. I buy cars. I enjoy driving cars. I enjoy talking about cars with other people who enjoy cars. This is why Im on a car forum to discuss cars. I dont go on a gardening forum and give advice on gardening cause I dont garden, I dont own any gardening equipment and dont know the first thing about it so I keep my opinions of how boring gardening is to myself. I dont tell people who are passionate about their gardens that their hobby is boring. That would make me a bit of a douche.
While your analogy is apropos, gardening is not a hobby restricted to those with means. Gardening is within the financial grasp of virtually anyone with access to soil, seeds and a shovel.Owning and driving a super car is in the domain of those with a certain amount of financial resources in order to indulge. It is for that very reason that this specific individual trolls high end car forums under the pretense of possessing said cars and actually driving them, when in reality he neither owns nor drives them. He has been exposed as a fraud countless times on other car forums and actually banned from at least one. His opinions, never based on personal experience, are inherently tainted with envy and jealousy for obvious reasons. But he does read many car magazines and watches numerous videos.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would never commit to the 296 without a serious test drive and I would need to be blown away in order to make a purchase.

·
Registered
925 Posts
While your analogy is apropos, gardening is not a hobby restricted to those with means. Gardening is within the financial grasp of virtually anyone with access to soil, seeds and a shovel.Owning and driving a super car is in the domain of those with a certain amount of financial resources in order to indulge. It is for that very reason that this specific individual trolls high end car forums under the pretense of possessing said cars and actually driving them, when in reality he neither owns nor drives them. He has been exposed as a fraud countless times on other car forums and actually banned from at least one. His opinions, never based on personal experience, are inherently tainted with envy and jealousy for obvious reasons. But he does read many car magazines and watches numerous videos.
Gardening may or may not be a hobby, all I was saying is I don’t comment on things I know nothing about. Again let’s get this straight back on track and I agree with you I’m not committing to the 296 till I drive it. I’m mixed emotions on it. I like the car I think it looks good not a fan of the rear humps over the rear wheels. But I want to see it in person and at least get a chance to get behind the wheel as possible before I plug down 300 K on it.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Rendering Spyder …..

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider!
478 Posts
Nice Spider (Spyder?) render!

This is a weird admission, but humor me...something about that rear fender flare & spoiler uptick here gave me a flashback to what I believe
was the front end of Miss Penelope Pitstop's car in the Saturday morning animated "Wacky Races" cartoons of my 1960s childhood...

·
Registered
925 Posts
Nice Spider (Spyder?) render!

This is a weird admission, but humor me...something about that rear fender flare & spoiler uptick here gave me a flashback to what I believe
was the front end of Miss Penelope Pitstop's car in the Saturday morning animated "Wacky Races" cartoons of my 1960s childhood...
The rear fender flare is weird to me.

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider!
478 Posts
I may still be under the effect of this morning’s anesthesia for an out-patient procedure, so that’s my excuse if I need one, but look at this!
Sorry, I’m done now.

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: invisiblewave

·
Registered
429 Posts
Gardening may or may not be a hobby, all I was saying is I don’t comment on things I know nothing about. Again let’s get this straight back on track and I agree with you I’m not committing to the 296 till I drive it. I’m mixed emotions on it. I like the car I think it looks good not a fan of the rear humps over the rear wheels. But I want to see it in person and at least get a chance to get behind the wheel as possible before I plug down 300 K on it.
Its a new engine, new tech... so it would be wise to test it before committing. On that note, I think that is part of the reason why Ferrari really bumped up the power on this car as even though Im sure they will sell every one they make, the traditionalist customer base they have may be on the fence and need some convincing on the two less cylinders. Im personally also am not convinced on v-6 hybrids Mclaren or Ferrari until I personally can try it out... Im sure they will be fast, but if its around the scope of capabilities a 720S/765LT can provide, not sure the cylinder counter that I am will consider them.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Its a new engine, new tech... so it would be wise to test it before committing. On that note, I think that is part of the reason why Ferrari really bumped up the power on this car as even though Im sure they will sell every one they make, the traditionalist customer base they have may be on the fence and need some convincing on the two less cylinders. Im personally also am not convinced on v-6 hybrids Mclaren or Ferrari until I personally can try it out... Im sure they will be fast, but if its around the scope of capabilities a 720S/765LT can provide, not sure the cylinder counter that I am will consider them.
I agree with you. Very good point about the horsepower and wanting to entice traditional buyers who may not be enamored by the B6.

For me personally I think one of the reasons I’m so hesitant on committing to the car early is that if this phase of my life I’ve got a couple of pretty special cars including the 765 spider that’s incoming. I guess I’m just not wanting to buy a ““ entry level ““ Ferrari. I know it’s not entry-level and I know there’s gonna have tremendous power but I am guess I’m just getting a little bit more selective in what I buy instead of just buying every last bit that comes out fromThe manufactures. I apply the same logic to Porsche I apply the same logic to Mclaren. Going forward I want special cars. I can’t define what special is I just don’t know if the 296 is special.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I agree with you. Very good point about the horsepower and wanting to entice traditional buyers who may not be enamored by the B6.

For me personally I think one of the reasons I’m so hesitant on committing to the car early is that if this phase of my life I’ve got a couple of pretty special cars including the 765 spider that’s incoming. I guess I’m just not wanting to buy a ““ entry level ““ Ferrari. I know it’s not entry-level and I know there’s gonna have tremendous power but I am guess I’m just getting a little bit more selective in what I buy instead of just buying every last bit that comes out fromThe manufactures. I apply the same logic to Porsche I apply the same logic to Mclaren. Going forward I want special cars. I can’t define what special is I just don’t know if the 296 is special.
I think you just answered your own hesitation... You want special cars and there is no clear indication this car is going to be special or just your garden variety Ferrari further down the line... But being the first offering, it is certainly not going to be the last. By that consideration, more limited run cars will most likely be in the pipeline and I would most certainly wait at least til the last of the series halo model in contrast to a first of a series...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Having a Pista and 765, should only leave room for something extra special. To me, the 296 is not that car unless by a miracle, the driving dynamics blow you away.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Having a Pista and 765, should only leave room for something extra special. To me, the 296 is not that car unless by a miracle, the driving dynamics blow you away.
I need a daily driver. You know to go from 0-100 really quick. Lol. I agree with you. Likely gonna sit this one out.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Let’s maybe get back to the topic of discussing the 296. I was just offered an allocation by my dealer. Not sure if I’m gonna take it. They are saying anticipated delivery roughly a year from now. I’m really wanting to drive it to Compared to my non-hybrid cars that I own and see the difference.
Hmmm, I dare to say next to your 765LT Spider every other car has problems to convince.

But if the 296GTB is the car
  • which has experienced a two-year delay in its launch
  • which is to be seen as the official successor to the 488GTB
  • which makes the F8 a mere transitional solution
  • which heralds a new era for Ferrari
then I think the 296 is a really special car that is worth owning. In summary: from a Ferrari point of view, the 296 is a must have car. This car is the true challenger to the current super series from McLaren.

And yet, in your situation, I wouldn't buy it because I don't think it will match the driving pleasure of a 765 Spider and yes, I don't like it either. Its design is simply not sovereign. The humps over the rear wheels, the front and rear lights, body lines that don't meet. No, in my eyes simply not a masterpiece. Or maybe that's exactly why you need to buy it, to find all this out? In the end, it's a Ferrari, let's face it, you're not doing much wrong when you buy it anyway.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hmmm, I dare to say next to your 765LT Spider every other car has problems to convince.

But if the 296GTB is the car
  • which has experienced a two-year delay in its launch
  • which is to be seen as the official successor to the 488GTB
  • which makes the F8 a mere transitional solution
  • which heralds a new era for Ferrari
then I think the 296 is a really special car that is worth owning. In summary: from a Ferrari point of view, the 296 is a must have car. This car is the true challenger to the current super series from McLaren.

And yet, in your situation, I wouldn't buy it because I don't think it will match the driving pleasure of a 765 Spider and yes, I don't like it either. Its design is simply not sovereign. The humps over the rear wheels, the front and rear lights, body lines that don't meet. No, in my eyes simply not a masterpiece. Or maybe that's exactly why you need to buy it, to find all this out? In the end, it's a Ferrari, let's face it, you're not doing much wrong when you buy it anyway.
why wouldn’t the F8 be the special car? The end of an era. The last V8 mid engine non hybrid. The last of the analog dash.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Can you find an SF90 to test? It will be the same thing, just less power. It's not like Ferrari is going invest in reinventing the wheel for the 296. It will be the exact same powertrain technology, just with less power. Ferrari wouldn't waste money making stuff unique just for the sake of making it unique.

Even if they have less cylinders, if they produce the same power they will better. How could they not be? Hybrids are superior to vanilla ICE in every way. They simply provide an output that is better than ICE when an ICE needs some torque. Given that modern turbos are very well developed to begin with, there's no reason to think that the hybrids won't be identical + 1.

I'll be shocked if they Arturo isn't equal or better than 720, or the 296 not miles above the F8 in every possible way.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I need a daily driver. You know to go from 0-100 really quick. Lol. I agree with you. Likely gonna sit this one out.
Not only am I sceptical of the driving dynamics of the 296, reliability on a untested and novel technology for Ferrari, - new ICE and hybrid system. Lots to potentially cause teething issues or worse.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Can you find an SF90 to test? It will be the same thing, just less power. It's not like Ferrari is going invest in reinventing the wheel for the 296. It will be the exact same powertrain technology, just with less power. Ferrari wouldn't waste money making stuff unique just for the sake of making it unique.

Even if they have less cylinders, if they produce the same power they will better. How could they not be? Hybrids are superior to vanilla ICE in every way. They simply provide an output that is better than ICE when an ICE needs some torque. Given that modern turbos are very well developed to begin with, there's no reason to think that the hybrids won't be identical + 1.

I'll be shocked if they Arturo isn't equal or better than 720, or the 296 not miles above the F8 in every possible way.
You do know that the v8 architecture on the SF90 is basically from 488 and up platform right? Its proven to be relatively reliable. The 296 is a modified shorten chassis (102 inch wheelbase) and its v-6TT is an all new engine, zero track record under real world conditions by consumers. Why should I be the guinea pig just because its touted to be the latest and greatest from Ferrari? The problem I have with Ferrari on their line up now is that they basically used an evolution of its V8TT engine, sandwiched an electric motor bumped up the hp and hiked up the price drastically to become the SF90... To me its really essentially an overly priced, highly boosted 488 electrified... There is zero carbon chassis, just an overweight 488 with loads of power.... Just look up the wheelbase of the 488, Tributo, and SF90 and you will see they are all on the same chassis of 104.3 inches... To me that is just Ferrari doing smart marketing vs coming up with some true innovations in their line up. Hell, even Lamborghini has for the longest time had a carbon tub at that price point comparable to an SF90, plus a wonderful sounding V-12... Just because the SF90 and 296 has more hp does not equate to me uniqueness. Nowadays people can boost up 4 cylinder engines to have 1000 hp but that doesn't mean anything...

121 - 140 of 166 Posts