McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The specs really do favor Ferrari 296 here vs the Artura; but I just can't get over that (to me!) ridiculous rear haunch of this beast. If I could take all of this car except for the rear fender flare, I'd be dead in the water & succumb to the specs here. However, I can't get past the 'Penelope Pit Stop' feel from my 70s childhood cartoon-watching sessions to embrace this car...

Maserati's MC20 Cielo is really a far closer rival to the eventual Artura Spider in my book.

·
Owner
759 Posts
Isn't the 296 like $150K more after options?
Not far off. It's starts about $100k over and to match a similarly spec'd Artura with decent options, you're looking at about $125k more. I have an order for a 296 that has less options than my incoming Artura and it's almost exactly 100K more. To get some extra things like front lift, self-leveling headlights, premium sound system, upgraded rims (all on my Artura), I'd be looking at another $25k. If you go heavy on options, yes you can be at least $150k over a similar Artura. Ferrari definitely nickel and dimes you, everything is a la carte. No packages like McLaren.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I got an allocation for the MC20 Cielo yesterday. Can’t spec yet obv. I think it’s the best looking convertible right now.

I like the Artura as well, but my next Mclaren will be the 720S replacement.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I got an allocation for the MC20 Cielo yesterday. Can’t spec yet obv. I think it’s the best looking convertible right now.

I like the Artura as well, but my next Mclaren will be the 720S replacement.
I spoke to my dealer and asked to be put on the 720 replacement list. I passed on the 296. Too generic for me. Doesnt excite me at all. Im sure its a great car but the carbon tub has spoiled me with Mclaren. I love my Pista but can totally feel the difference in handling with my now departed 720.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I spoke to my dealer and asked to be put on the 720 replacement list. I passed on the 296. Too generic for me. Doesnt excite me at all. Im sure its a great car but the carbon tub has spoiled me with Mclaren. I love my Pista but can totally feel the difference in handling with my now departed 720.
And just wait until the 765 arrives. It’s another level man, it’s so crazy. I’d like to drive the 296 though before I totally say no.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
And just wait until the 765 arrives. It’s another level man, it’s so crazy. I’d like to drive the 296 though before I totally say no.
no doubt Im sure the 296 is an amazing car and drives like a beast. Im just at a point where I think I prefer the carbon tub to an aluminum architecture. It makes a massive difference. Budgets being limited and I dont have an endless stream of cash, after the 765, where do I put discretionary funds. ITs either the 296 Ferrari or a 720 replacement. Both amazing choices but currently Im leaning 720 replacement. I think it will rival SF90 (surpass?) performance for a more reasonable financial outlay.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,727 Posts
At the speeds you want and can drive these cars, not having a carbon tub is a non starter for me. It's, IMO, literally the difference between life and death. I have seen some HORRENDOUS crashes in cars with carbon fiber tubs, and the outside of the car looks like it was through a war, yet the interiors look factory fresh.

There is no going back from a carbon fiber tub with regard to performance cars, IMO. I literally will not even consider the car.

As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
26 Posts

The specs really do favor Ferrari 296 here vs the Artura; but I just can't get over that (to me!) ridiculous rear haunch of this beast. If I could take all of this car except for the rear fender flare, I'd be dead in the water & succumb to the specs here. However, I can't get past the 'Penelope Pit Stop' feel from my 70s childhood cartoon-watching sessions to embrace this car...

Maserati's MC20 Cielo is really a far closer rival to the eventual Artura Spider in my book.
Ferrari has changed. The service in central Florida has gone down the tubes. The
car i had, Roma, had poor quality issues and the touch screens were a joke.
Bought the 720S and never looked back.

·
Registered
574 Posts
no doubt Im sure the 296 is an amazing car and drives like a beast.
You would be wrong. Try to get a ride in one. After owning the 765, the 296 is a competent daily driver. Slightly more engaging than a TurboS. As a super car it fails miserably. I have NO INTEREST in owning it. It is fast. But grandma would be comfortable driving it. Full review on F Chat for those who might care to know more. I was more charitable and reserved in my assessment there.

·
Registered
984 Posts
You would be wrong. Try to get a ride in one. After owning the 765, the 296 is a competent daily driver. Slightly more engaging than a TurboS. As a super car it fails miserably. I have NO INTEREST in owning it. It is fast. But grandma would be comfortable driving it. Full review on F Chat for those who might care to know more. I was more charitable and reserved in my assessment there.
Have read it, very well and interestingly written, thank you sir.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Im trying to be neutral. I have no interest in any current or future Ferraris at the moment. The 765 has just spoiled me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
765 puts every other Supercar to shame!! By all measure it's really a Hypercar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts