McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
LP610-4, R8-V10
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just sold my Huracan and decided that i am going to replace it with a 2018 - 720s 8k miles. After weeks of looking i found my unicorn however there is a catch. The car has an unknown full catless exhaust on it and an unknown tune (i would be the 5th owner, the mods were done by 2nd or 3rd owner)

Prior to buying the car (It's in Texas i am in CT) i will have a PPI and a leak down test. Assuming that all comes back clean;

If i put the car back to bone stock will i be ok?
I am afraid i might buy this beautiful car and then have the engine or a turbo shit the bed.

any experience or insight would be much appreciated. thanks!

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
203 Posts
4 owners in so few miles seems odd, why would that be?

Reactions: Detroit Bill

·
Registered
LP610-4, R8-V10
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you buy this car? Is it too cheap? must be other less storied cars out there
yes its a good value- $395k window sticker for $250 now, full expel wrap- great aesthetic condition...given current market condition it is a fair price.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
perhaps but the mods can bring their own issues,especially the tune! says a lot about prior use imo.....

there are a few out the there with 3 or more owners. brings up many questions.

·
2019 Paris Blue 720S
2019 720S
933 Posts
My understanding is McLaren is pretty sharp about catching a tuned car, even if it is later returned to stock. I would personally be very worried about warranty coverage if you were intending to get the ESC. As others have said I would also wonder about how this car has been treated. I'd keep looking if I were you. When I was shopping used 720S models the first question I asked was if it had ever been tuned ( a deal breaker for me), then second step was having the local dealer run the VIN to see if there were any notes in their system about mods. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
wait for a non tuned one in my opinion or don't be shy about spending another 40-60k if the engine/charger goes up which is a certain chance of happening (maybe not a high chance but its a bit of a gamble)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Factory warranty maybe expired now anyways. I think if you have a PPI and it all checks out, could be a good car....But if your not planning to mod it, better to just get a stock car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Factory warranty maybe expired now anyways. I think if you have a PPI and it all checks out, could be a good car....But if your not planning to mod it, better to just get a stock car.
In the original post you said you wanted to return it to stock. So you want an original car. I agree with Firstkill, wait for a garage queen and pay the premium.

·
570S Owner
2020 720S Coupé
126 Posts
IMO not worth the risk. And, if you ever sell (out of financial need or to upgrade), you will face difficulty (unless the history of the car is completely hidden and you don't make any representations about it) finding a buyer.

There are easily a dozen+ 2018s available for $250-$260k (that could probably be negotiated down $5k-$15k or more).

If you are set on moving forward with the car, make sure everything (including brake rotor thickness) is checked twice. I'd get 2 different pros to look at it and then compare their reports.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
So i just sold my Huracan and decided that i am going to replace it with a 2018 - 720s 8k miles. After weeks of looking i found my unicorn however there is a catch. The car has an unknown full catless exhaust on it and an unknown tune (i would be the 5th owner, the mods were done by 2nd or 3rd owner)

Prior to buying the car (It's in Texas i am in CT) i will have a PPI and a leak down test. Assuming that all comes back clean;

If i put the car back to bone stock will i be ok?
I am afraid i might buy this beautiful car and then have the engine or a turbo shit the bed.

any experience or insight would be much appreciated. thanks!
How cheap is this car? That a lot of owners and sketchy mods. Plenty of other cars for sale...

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
yes its a good value- $395k window sticker for $250 now, full expel wrap- great aesthetic condition...given current market condition it is a fair price.
That doesn't sound like a good idea. Sounds like average market price right now from what I can tell.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have not looked at used values in a while. Before I bought mine I was all over it. After a year it looks like I could make a few bucks if I sold it. I should dig up some of those old resale value posts they would be entertaining now.

·
Registered
LP610-4, R8-V10
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thank you all for your feedback. i passed on the car. for any one that is interested the car is loaded. $394k sticker- all interior and exterior carbon packages. Seller would take $245. listing below.
if anyone is interested in selling a loaded clean 1 owner coupe with less than 7k miles please let me know. thanks!

·
Registered
2019 720S MO
104 Posts
I might be selling my orange 2019 coupe. I'm a second owner , first owner was a celebrity that never drove it , car had 800 miles when I bought it last year. It has little over 4K miles now , 100% stock , still has factory warranty .
20210608_233311.jpg

20210520_214053.jpg

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
203 Posts
Buy the orange one!!

Reactions: bbeavers
1 - 20 of 33 Posts