McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's a secret out loud
the cam pahsers or camera variators of the mclaren platform p11 of the first years
they have a bad design, producing a failure when returning to the position causing the crankshaft to be in the wrong position
This causes the flashing yellow light to fire, especially at low speed or when maneuvering in a parking lot.
sometimes produces weak engine starts and a cold valve rattle sound for only a few seconds

over time it is possibly a time bomb

repair it and change it to the updated part number much stronger without failure

It is very expensive (you have to lower the engine and open it)

I would like to gather in this thread all the information available on this general failure not recognized by mclaren

if there is an alternative to "bite the bullet" if someone has solved it or believes that their car has had a fault.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the price in a famous independent workshop
is 1k per phase variator (x4) two on each motor bank
intake and exhaust

according to an image published by a mclaren dealer
mclaren cam phasers are made by carraro a famous italian company

·
Registered
5,266 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in accordance with this thread and with the opinions of ima2nr with whom he has spoken about this several times

you will not be able to tell if the phaser is failing except for the flashing engine light at very low speed (parking maneuver, traffic light)

the car makes no strange noise, no power loss
the only symptoms are a high fuel consumption and when the engine is started cold a rattle that lasts very little (half a second)

my question is
the breakdown will get worse with the passage of time and kilometers?

will it become a time bomb ??

I think I may live with a position fault when starting the engine or a flashing light coming and going
(or maybe repair it and spend 25k$)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The cam phaser has a set of springs that compress as the engine revs increase and allow the camshaft to change timing, that is provide variable valve timing over the rev range to improve engine performance drivability.
My understanding is that some of the early 12C motors experienced spring fatigue (failure). First a softening of the spring tension and finally a complete spring failure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
an image of a pier
of a camera phase variator

this defective spring prevents it from returning to the original position

If I am not mistaken, this part is in charge of varying the angle of the camshaft with May or less crossing (depending on the rpm) with respect to the crankshaft.

this wrong position can end up destroying the engine?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Yes-if the spring breaks then the valve timing for that camshaft would not be optimized. I don’t know if the timing would be so bad as to allow interference between the piston crown and a valve though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes-if the spring breaks then the valve timing for that camshaft would not be optimized. I don’t know if the timing would be so bad as to allow interference between the piston crown and a valve though.
this is my existential doubt

my opinion is that this spring can lose tension but it is very very difficult for it to split or break

·
Registered
629 Posts
There are hard stops to prevent cam from going to far as to cause valve piston interference.
The spring only brings back cam to startup position and engine oil pressure moves the cam as needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts