McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so pumped, just got confirmed for a factory visit in March when I visit London.

This is so much more special than the last time I had one with Porsche, or the other time when I hitch a ride with a friend who was visiting Ferrari. This time I am visiting the place that's at the tip of the automotive technology pinnacle, where the most advanced car is made. Probably the the most anal place designed by the most anal person alive, Mr. Ron Dennis.

Can't wait till next month.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I am so pumped, just got confirmed for a factory visit in March when I visit London.

This is so much more special than the last time I had one with Porsche, or the other time when I hitch a ride with a friend who was visiting Ferrari. This time I am visiting the place that's at the tip of the automotive technology pinnacle, where the most advanced car is made. Probably the the most anal place designed by the most anal person alive, Mr. Ron Dennis.

loads to see! just dont catch yourself looking at the floor tiles as your time is too precious there:)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

I like most "meticulous" better than anal. ;)

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I've not had the privilege of working for him, but Ron was a pretty good guy in person the two times I had the pleasure of meeting him. Yes he has high standards and yes he cares deeply about appearance, quality and results -- I think he gets a bit of a bad rap for it all though as few others give it the focus he does. I see it as a positive for sure.

There's at least one tile that has been replaced in this shot:

...also, the sign in front of the Le Mans winner is askew. :eek: :D

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Most hospitals are not as clean and orderly.
That's because they are taking care of sick, injured and or crazy people. He can ride in any of my cars anythime, since I know he won't touch and of the carbon fiber, or skuff my bolsters or kick panels getting in or out. ;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've not had the privilege of working for him, but Ron was a pretty good guy in person the two times I had the pleasure of meeting him. Yes he has high standards and yes he cares deeply about appearance, quality and results -- I think he gets a bit of a bad rap for it all though as few others give it the focus he does. I see it as a positive for sure.

There's at least one tile that has been replaced in this shot:

...also, the sign in front of the Le Mans winner is askew. :eek: :D

>8^)
ER

Now that replacement tile is a surprise!

During the documentary of the making of the MP4-12C, he did specifically says that he doesn't like broken tiles, but he dislike replacement even more as the color is off.

My use of the word 'anal' is in a good way, he is just so perfectionist.

·
Registered
24 Posts
lol,

He doesn't like the tiles replaced because different batches of tiles don't match perfectly.
Maybe he should have saved some tiles from the original batch as backup.

Oh and also when you get there, don't be an idiot like me and park at the car park next to the gate, go straight to the gate and walk inside the little booth to get your visitor tag <3

·
Registered
964 Posts
See if you can park in the VIP lot, then you get to drive along side the lake in front of the MTC.
I was sent that way by security, I was in my car mind you :D
Crappy weather on the day but nice for it to return to its birthplace :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
lol,

He doesn't like the tiles replaced because different batches of tiles don't match perfectly.
Maybe he should have saved some tiles from the original batch as backup.

tag <3
My thoughts exactly, why didn’t they over order and let the spares get weathered in (off site) along with the originals.

Sadly it slightly spoils the myth of the absolute attention to detail.

Or perhaps I should have been tasked with the tile spec?

Still a fantastic experience to visit MTC and now MPC, if you get the chance.

Also visiting Maranello must not be missed.

Quite rightly the town lives and breathes Ferrari, but it’s also a tip, with unmade roads and weed ridden car parks, but still so special.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
It is an amazing place, enjoy your day there. Shame PTC has pretty strict rules on taking pictures although when I was there they very kindly waived the exemption a bit for me to take some pictures of XP1LM so hopefully you will be able to take a few pictures around as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts