McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Sponsor
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

One of the most popular systems for the 12C/650S is now available for the new 720s. Similar to previous McLarens, the exhaust comprises of the downpipes and a rear section. Fabspeed has replaced both of those for an aggressive, free flowing system that not only sounds amazing, but adds power by removing the restrictive OEM cats.

Replace the four restrictive McLaren 720S OEM 650 cell catalytic converters with two ultra high-performance 200 cell HJS German-Imported Tri-Metallic high flow catalytic converters for improved performance and hypercar sound.

Fabspeed Motorsport USA was the very 1st company in the world to design, engineer, dyno and develop performance parts for McLaren cars. Fabspeed has the most experience and knowledge of any company on these cars.

Utilizing our two development McLarens, MP4-12C & 570S including a new in-house 720S, we’ve experimented with many designs and were able after much testing and engineering to craft the highest quality catted downpipes on the market. We are utilizing bullet proof, high flow 200-cell HJS German Imported HD catalysts that flows 93% to 95% of a straight pipe for most possible power especially when paired with a tune, and ultimately a superior solution. Fabspeed Motorsport invested a lot of time and resources into developing the best possible McLaren downpipes and we’re now proud to offer you this latest and greatest solution. McLaren is constantly updating their vehicles and offering even better performance, and we're dedicated to doing the same. Fabspeed Motorsport is the world's authority for aftermarket McLaren performance.

HJS HD German Imported 200-CELL CATALYSTS:

HJS Germany manufactures the highest quality catalysts in the world. Fabspeed has incorporated 200 cell-HJS HD catalysts into our latest design to maximize horsepower. Our complete redesign incorporates these high flowing catalysts in conjunction with military spec thermal heat blankets and makes incredible power gains by themselves and maximum power when paired with a complete Fabspeed exhaust and ECU Tune package.

HEAT BLANKETS:

Keeping heat in the exhaust maintains the maximum velocity of exhaust gasses, allowing the turbos to spool faster while ensuring maximum power is extracted through increased thermodynamic efficiency and flow. Fabspeed thermal blankets are rated to 1800 degrees. T321L Stainless steel mesh over a 321L stainless steel inner liner covering ceramic insulation makes direct contact with the downpipes. The basalt fabric exterior covers sewn with stainless steel mesh covering all edges and high quality stainless steel spring fasteners ensure longevity. Fabspeed thermal blankets are exclusively manufactured by a military defense contractor!

High-flowing LT Style pipe replaces the heavy and restrictive OEM exhaust system for maximum increase in performance and sound.

Fabspeed Motorsport developed our exhaust system with direct Solidworks flow analysis in order to maximize the flow characteristics and performance qualities. The Fabspeed LT Style pipe was designed to significantly outflow the $5000 factory optional race exhaust system. Exhaust flow is smoothed out for a more pleasing, exotic sound and increased power to match.

Looking for a more aggressive aesthetic for the rear of your 720S? Look no further. Fabspeed's bolt-on Dual Titanium Tips give the rear end of any 720S a sleek and custom appearance; appropriate for the street or the racetrack!

Please feel free to PM me with any questions or for forum pricing :)

Check out our full 720S line:
http://www.fabspeed.com/720s/

·
Registered
287 Posts
In the dyno you show the power/torque drops and goes wonky compared to the stock line at about 6500rpm. I have found this a typical response (on a turbo engine like this) of fitting the 200 cell cats, the boost ramps up quicker and you get a nicer bottom end with good mid range torque gains but then when the torque overshoots its pre-programmed limits in pulls back the power, this looks like what it does at 6500rpm it then dips to about 6800rpm as it brings the torque back into pre-programmed spec and then rises again to 7400rpm and to be fair in your chart it stays above factory to your 7800 cut off.
In contrast the factory curve is much smoother and more controlled and produces quite a bit more power between 6500 and 7000rpm.

An ECU tune would be needed to try and take advantage of the new exhaust flow assuming the engine has enough headroom for more power.

·
Registered
686 Posts
In the dyno you show the power/torque drops and goes wonky compared to the stock line at about 6500rpm. I have found this a typical response (on a turbo engine like this) of fitting the 200 cell cats, the boost ramps up quicker and you get a nicer bottom end with good mid range torque gains but then when the torque overshoots its pre-programmed limits in pulls back the power, this looks like what it does at 6500rpm it then dips to about 6800rpm as it brings the torque back into pre-programmed spec and then rises again to 7400rpm and to be fair in your chart it stays above factory to your 7800 cut off.
In contrast the factory curve is much smoother and more controlled and produces quite a bit more power between 6500 and 7000rpm.

An ECU tune would be needed to try and take advantage of the new exhaust flow assuming the engine has enough headroom for more power.
My 430 showed a similar drop in power after installing Fabspeed headers, we were able to tune some of it out but not completely. Ultimately we made more power but the tune was necessary.

·
Sponsor
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Sponsor
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some dyno footage for you guys! These cars are putting down insane numbers :)

Fabspeed's Sport Cats & Supersport LT Style Exhaust for the McLaren 720S add horsepower and torque throughout the entire power band with the largest gains in the midrange - gains of over 55 whp and 51 ft/lbs of torque at 5700 RPM's.

·
Sponsor
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Guy better be careful or will be replacing motor in his 720 soon

Flames are cool and all but car doesn't rev down like it should after letting off gas and return to idle properly

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just had the sports cats and exhaust fitted. Just working through a CEL light with Alec at Fabspeed and they have been responsive to help resolve. The CEL only comes on with a cold start, warm starts it doesn't appear. (edit: Temporary fix has been to take the electrical valve boxes off the original exhaust and mount them to the new exhaust (only connected to electrical system) so the error doesn't come up anymore)

Not sure how to describe it, but the exhaust sounds incredible!. I was worried at first that it might be too loud or drone etc I'm not in to really loud cars, but my god it sounds really really clean and crisp. It now sounds like a supercar! I'll be posting a video shortly (videos can't do it justice though!). The Lamborghini mechanics from next door came over to hear it as they were impressed. ;)

The cold start is quite loud until the revs drop but then it is a crisp sound revving through the range.

The videos posted above sound really different to what it's like in person. I wasn't really impressed with the videos, but hearing it in person, it put a really big smile on my face.

The "Easter egg" start is now..... um.... words can't really describe it! The bang is now a BANG

As a side note, I am no way affiliated with Fabspeed, bought the exhaust after trading in my 650s spider which was way louder than the 720s sports exhaust. I now have a 720s sports exhaust for sale :)

·
Sponsor
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just had the sports cats and exhaust fitted. Just working through a CEL light with Alec at Fabspeed and they have been responsive to help resolve. The CEL only comes on with a cold start, warm starts it doesn't appear. (edit: Temporary fix has been to take the electrical valve boxes off the original exhaust and mount them to the new exhaust (only connected to electrical system) so the error doesn't come up anymore)

Not sure how to describe it, but the exhaust sounds incredible!. I was worried at first that it might be too loud or drone etc I'm not in to really loud cars, but my god it sounds really really clean and crisp. It now sounds like a supercar! I'll be posting a video shortly (videos can't do it justice though!). The Lamborghini mechanics from next door came over to hear it as they were impressed. ;)

The cold start is quite loud until the revs drop but then it is a crisp sound revving through the range.

The videos posted above sound really different to what it's like in person. I wasn't really impressed with the videos, but hearing it in person, it put a really big smile on my face.

The "Easter egg" start is now..... um.... words can't really describe it! The bang is now a BANG

As a side note, I am no way affiliated with Fabspeed, bought the exhaust after trading in my 650s spider which was way louder than the 720s sports exhaust. I now have a 720s sports exhaust for sale :)
Thank you again for the kudos Stephen! Pleasure working with you and please feel free to reach out anytime with questions. I'd love to hear some videos ;)

Meanwhile, we're seeing double here at Fabspeed.... stay tuned for more!

·
Sponsor
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fabspeed Motorsport is proud to announce the availability of ECU Tuning for the 720S!

Maximum gains of over 104 whp and 142 ft-lbs of torque at 3800 RPM along with overall driveabilty improvements (better throttle response, smoother/more linear powerband etc.)

Feel free to give me a shout with any questions or for forum pricing :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts