McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Sponsor
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

We have had quite a bit of McLaren action over here at Fabspeed and wanted to share some pics and videos with you. We will follow up with additional info and dyno results.

We had a customer drop off two cars last week; a 2013 12C Spider and a 2011 Porsche 911 GT2 RS. The 12C came equipped with the optional sport exhaust which has been modified for use in the Spider (has an additional muffler mounted near the tips). We will be installing our sportcats and our x-pipe exhaust system.

The GT2 RS will be getting our full 70mm x-pipe exhaust with cat bypass pipes. We are also doing an EVOMSit ECU upgrade. I can post dyno results for this car as well if you are interested.

We were very interested to see what was changed in the spider exhaust since I had read on ML that something was changed. It really hasn't changed much except for a muffler that was grafted on as an afterthought. I assume they are trying to reduce the volume slightly for use in the Spider since the open top nature will allow more sound into the cockpit.

I will be making special discounts on our parts to forum members for this month while we do this work. Please let me know if you have any questions. Also, check out our new McLaren carbon fiber shield that you can hang in your home or garage (picture below). Thanks!

Stay tuned for more info!

Videos:

2012 12C Coupe with standard OEM muffer and Fabspeed Sportcats and 2013 12C Spider with OEM sport exhaust and stock cats:

12C Coupe exhaust demo (OEM standard muffler with Fabspeed Sportcats):

Thanks!

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Hello Everyone,

We have had quite a bit of McLaren action over here at Fabspeed and wanted to share some pics and videos with you. We will follow up with additional info and dyno results.

We had a customer drop off two cars last week; a 2013 12C Spider and a 2011 Porsche 911 GT2 RS. The 12C came equipped with the optional sport exhaust which has been modified for use in the Spider (has an additional muffler mounted near the tips). We will be installing our sportcats and our x-pipe exhaust system.

The GT2 RS will be getting our full 70mm x-pipe exhaust with cat bypass pipes. We are also doing an EVOMSit ECU upgrade. I can post dyno results for this car as well if you are interested.

We were very interested to see what was changed in the spider exhaust since I had read on ML that something was changed. It really hasn't changed much except for a muffler that was grafted on as an afterthought. I assume they are trying to reduce the volume slightly for use in the Spider since the open top nature will allow more sound into the cockpit.

I will be making special discounts on our parts to forum members for this month while we do this work. Please let me know if you have any questions. Also, check out our new McLaren carbon fiber shield that you can hang in your home or garage (picture below). Thanks!

Stay tuned for more info!

Videos:

2012 12C Coupe with standard OEM muffer and Fabspeed Sportcats and 2013 12C Spider with OEM sport exhaust and stock cats:

12C Coupe exhaust demo (OEM standard muffler with Fabspeed Sportcats):

Thanks!

Jeff
Great video, and I really love the fit and finish of your product. I have one question Jeff in the video you stated 300 cell sports cats, yet on your website you mention 200 cell. Would you please elaborate on this are there two different configurations available or am I just hearing things or a misprint. Please see below your website description which I cut and pasted. Cheers.....??

Fits all McLaren MP4-12C Vehicles 2012+
Improves power +28HP/29 ft-lbs. of torque to the wheels (+33.6HP/34.8 ft-lbs. of torque to the crank).
Fabspeed 300 cell Sportcats (23.9 lbs. / 10.8 kg) save 1.2 lbs. / .5 kg from the OEM catalytic converter (25.1 lbs. / 11.4 kg).
All McLaren MP4-12C vehicles have 4 restrictive catalytic converters. 2 catalytic converters on each engine exhaust bank.
Fabspeed’s HJS German imported 200 cell tri-metallic sports race catalytic converters are simple bolt-on super high performance direct replacement catalytic converters.
Improved F1 sports car sound and power with less restriction after the turbo increasing turbo spool-up.
Designed to bolt-on to any stock McLaren MP4-12C exhaust and works with the optional $5000 McLaren sports/race exhaust or Fabspeed’s X-Pipe.
Street legal to maximize power and sports car sound.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm confused which option is which.

When are you offering the software piggy bag for the 2013?

·
Sponsor
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great video, and I really love the fit and finish of your product. I have one question Jeff in the video you stated 300 cell sports cats, yet on your website you mention 200 cell. Would you please elaborate on this are there two different configurations available or am I just hearing things or a misprint. Please see below your website description which I cut and pasted. Cheers.....??

Fits all McLaren MP4-12C Vehicles 2012+
Improves power +28HP/29 ft-lbs. of torque to the wheels (+33.6HP/34.8 ft-lbs. of torque to the crank).
Fabspeed 300 cell Sportcats (23.9 lbs. / 10.8 kg) save 1.2 lbs. / .5 kg from the OEM catalytic converter (25.1 lbs. / 11.4 kg).
All McLaren MP4-12C vehicles have 4 restrictive catalytic converters. 2 catalytic converters on each engine exhaust bank.
Fabspeed’s HJS German imported 200 cell tri-metallic sports race catalytic converters are simple bolt-on super high performance direct replacement catalytic converters.
Improved F1 sports car sound and power with less restriction after the turbo increasing turbo spool-up.
Designed to bolt-on to any stock McLaren MP4-12C exhaust and works with the optional $5000 McLaren sports/race exhaust or Fabspeed’s X-Pipe.
Street legal to maximize power and sports car sound.
I also noticed this. The cats we use for the 12C sportcats are technically a 300 cell cat that we get from HJS. We use a 200 cell cat for almost all of our other applications, so that is why the website says that. The 300 cell cat we use for this application flows similar to a 200 cell cat, yet still keeps the CEL off. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Jeff

·
Sponsor
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm confused which option is which.

When are you offering the software piggy bag for the 2013?
What are you confused about? I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

We are still working with a few companies who are finalizing the ECU tune for the 12C. The 2013 update made things a bit more difficult. I will be sure to update the forum as soon as we find a solution that works well with all cars. Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have herd this car is person and it sounds AWESOME...great work as usuall.
That's what I keep on saying, the problem is you really need to hear it in person. Listening to anything that's been recorded doesn't do it justice. I love it and I'm extremely happy with the decision to have one installed on my car. Cheers....??

·
Registered
499 Posts
So how straightforward is it to replace with the sportcats yourself? Any special fasteners or tools for removing body parts?

·
Sponsor
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So how straightforward is it to replace with the sportcats yourself? Any special fasteners or tools for removing body parts?
It is definitely a job that I would recommend professional installation. It is roughly a 7 hour job for an experienced tech. We will be finalizing our installation instructions within the next couple of weeks and they will be added to our website. Thanks.

Jeff

·
Sponsor
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just took a couple pics of the OEM sports exhaust that came off the 2013 Spider. I don't know if it has been shown on here yet. They are using the exact same inconel H-pipe, but they weld on a stainless resonator before the tips.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Not very attractive looking exhaust! But they can't been seen anyway.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I just took a couple pics of the OEM sports exhaust that came off the 2013 Spider. I don't know if it has been shown on here yet. They are using the exact same inconel H-pipe, but they weld on a stainless resonator before the tips.

Jeff
So Jeff does that mean they've actually added a little more weight to the current system??

·
Sponsor
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So Jeff does that mean they've actually added a little more weight to the current system??
Absolutely... I don't know exactly how much, but I would guess close to double. But in the grand scheme of things, that may be less than 10 lbs.

Jeff

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hi Jeff

No doubts about the quality of your product or why it will be superior to the OEM unit, but just need to know how it will effect my warranty and who could install it for me professionally in the UK?

·
Sponsor
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Jeff

No doubts about the quality of your product or why it will be superior to the OEM unit, but just need to know how it will effect my warranty and who could install it for me professionally in the UK?

Thanks. The warranty question is a tricky one... you should check with your local dealer about that. In the UK, my guess is that they will advise you against changing anything on the car to non OEM. However, we sell many of these products worldwide, and it is up to you if you want to make a change.

Your local dealer may install them (we have several U.S. dealers that do), but if not, I would recommend an independent shop with high-end car experience. This will be a brand new exercise for most shops, but we will have complete install instructions in about 2 weeks. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
499 Posts
It is definitely a job that I would recommend professional installation. It is roughly a 7 hour job for an experienced tech. We will be finalizing our installation instructions within the next couple of weeks and they will be added to our website. Thanks.

Jeff
Looking forward to the instructions. What makes it so time consuming?

I have installed a Fabspeed exhaust on a 996 years ago and that was pretty easy. Recently I replaced the resonator, frame pieces and riveted body panels on a Polaris 800 Pro snowmobile that wife ran straight into a tree -- don't ask! -- so I am reasonably adept and equipped.

·
Sponsor
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looking forward to the instructions. What makes it so time consuming?

I have installed a Fabspeed exhaust on a 996 years ago and that was pretty easy. Recently I replaced the resonator, frame pieces and riveted body panels on a Polaris 800 Pro snowmobile that wife ran straight into a tree -- don't ask! -- so I am reasonably adept and equipped.
We have a car in our shop now that we will be using to make our instructions. We also have a few other projects happening at the same time, that is why the instructions will take a little time.

I don't want to discourage you dong this job on your own, but the prep work alone (in order to get access to the cats) will take more time than installing a full 996 exhaust. The main reason is because you need to remove the under-body panels, the topside exhaust cover and the spoiler before you can start to disassemble the cats. Once you have access, it is pretty quick... then you have to put everything back. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Jeff

1 - 20 of 41 Posts