McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
It's sounds incredible but seems the track is not its natural habitat despite its lap time. Funny, I thought most complained the sound was a bit muted. The dealers certainly did when I were talking to them about it.

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's sounds incredible but seems the track is not its natural habitat despite its lap time. Funny, I thought most complained the sound was a bit muted. The dealers certainly did when I were talking to them about it.
Its lap time was really slow. The pre-updated 12C did a 1:34.5 in comparison. A bit shocking...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
There used to be a time -about 15 -20 years ago- when if a Ferrari was in a group test, it was usually the most attractive car of the bunch. Those days seem to be long gone.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Its lap time was really slow. The pre-updated 12C did a 1:34.5 in comparison. A bit shocking...
The shocking part for me is the 4003 lbs test weight. Ferrari stated 3362 lbs in the F12 press release. Even if they were quoting dry, that's a massive weight gain. They also say the new 458 speciale is half a second slower than the F12 around Fiorano, so I can't make any sense of it.

The new Vette is heavier than the old one, too. Sigh.

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shocking part for me is the 4003 lbs test weight. Ferrari stated 3362 lbs in the F12 press release. Even if they were quoting dry, that's a massive weight gain. They also say the new 458 speciale is half a second slower than the F12 around Fiorano, so I can't make any sense of it.

The new Vette is heavier than the old one, too. Sigh.
+1 Another magazine got the same result when they weighed the car. The 1:38 lap time is extremely slow for a car of this caliber and with so much power and "downforce".

6th element said:
"the Fiorano track is real, but we have never timed a car, there. The marketing department has always made up the lap time - indeed, in most cases, it is the first thing we design on the car. I don't even know what a good real time would be, but this is irrelevant."
Do you remember this ^ ? I think you've got a point! LOL

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Well I must admit to being amused. Woppum, ol boy, surely you are following along as your more reasonable brethren are quite up in arms over the F12 getting its butt kicked in the Motor Trend comparison tests? What is it that you said, just don't say anything on McLarenLife about their precious little car, or something like that? ;)

Let's see, the same guys that were cheering when Ferrari was bringing 10-second press 458s to the mag tests are now claiming that Motor Trend has it in for Ferrari, or their pro driver can't drive, or their weigh scales must be malfunctioning, or, or, or... looks like Kleenex is selling out over there, eh?

The best part is the owner demanding that Fiat take the next 6 weeks to revamp the car and put it on a diet, or the other guys saying Ferrari needs to come back with their own test drivers and adjusted suspension alignments for each singular test... but nobody cares about curb weight or lap times, eh woppum? :) Think it'll go over well if some 12C owners go over there and point out that this is why they prefer their McLaren to the Ferrari, like you love to do over here? Might strike a nerve, huh?

All in good fun, but honestly now do you see how silly it all is, mate? :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
> The shocking part for me is the 4003 lbs test weight. Ferrari stated 3362 lbs in the F12 press release.

Ferrari's website lists the F12 as 3594 lbs curb weight w/lightweight options. 3362 is the dry weight, similar to McLaren's 2956 lbs for the MP4-12C :D

That leaves a gap of 400 lbs. I've got an F12 inbound via air, and a set of corner weight scales at home. We'll soon see what's what.

Reference:
Ferrari F12: http://www.ferrari.com/english/gt_s...s/technical_specifications_f12berlinetta.aspx
McLaren 12c: http://cars.mclaren.com/12c/specification.html

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
> The shocking part for me is the 4003 lbs test weight. Ferrari stated 3362 lbs in the F12 press release.

Ferrari's website lists the F12 as 3594 lbs curb weight w/lightweight options. 3362 is the dry weight, similar to McLaren's 2956 lbs for the MP4-12C :D

That leaves a gap of 400 lbs. I've got an F12 inbound via air, and a set of corner weight scales at home. We'll soon see what's what.

Reference:
Ferrari F12: http://www.ferrari.com/english/gt_s...s/technical_specifications_f12berlinetta.aspx

Ben,did you factor in the extra 400lbs of air freight ;) Or did you get this info too late!!!:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Damn... The F12 ended up being as much of a porker as the Aventador! I'm wondering how much Ferrari fudged the Horespower figure as well (since they fudge everything), no Ferrari ever puts out as much on a dyno as they should.

Now, I am wondering how mucht the LaFerrari really weighs....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hrmm. doing a little research, looks like MT tested a customer car rather than a factory-supplied ringer, no wonder it weighs more than other tests and goes slower!!!:eek:

Meanwhile, my respect for Ferrari (the company) keeps dropping...

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can't really fudge the fact that the F12 in the GTBoard video walked the Aventador from a roll. So dyno or not, the F12 is making a whole lot of power.

I'll have one here next week to weigh at the scales across the street. Curious to see what it says. Same scale Lamborghini Performante ~3,820, MP4 ~3,220. I will be very surprised if it somehow says 4,000.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
The F12 - FF sisters are to close in looks for me and there is enough silicon / plastic to keep Armor All in business forever.

A GT 12 cylinder is what it is - a porker with a really nice sound available with C's or DD's cup holders

I am sure in 10 years when I enter SS these will have more appeal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
F12 came in today and it doesn't feel heavy. Feels like a rocket. Awesome car. All the new Ferraris have steering that is too fast for my taste, but this is one beast of a car otherwise. What a sound! Unfortunately it's too cold to pummel and my MP4 isn't up here anyways so I can't get a feel for which is faster, though I suspect it would be impossible to ballpark based on how different they feel.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Congrats DBK! Fantastic, and enjoy. I suspect the F12 should have more pull at the top end with that much more HP. I would think in turns, the 12C takes. But look forward to hearing your ongoing impressions!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The F12 is definitely a fast car, but it does not compare in cornering with the 12C, but then it is obviously a totally different breed anyway.

I decided to keep my F12 for now. Been driving it a bit again, and its fun no doubt. It does seem to accelerate a bit faster than the 12C from above 250kph, but the 12C gets to 250kph much quicker so I am not sure if that is just the reason it seems slower at the top... hard to compare the two side by side.

I base this mainly on the fact that I got to 325kph with my F12, but only to about 300 with my 12C. But I think this was mainly due to the fact that it travels so much quicker in the beginning that the distance on the part I tested it was eaten up faster in the lower kph already... not sure if I am explaining myself well :)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Dbk/Ftyl, would be quite interested to see what happens if/when you ever put the F12 on a set of scales to see if the motortrend car was an anomaly. Ferrari have usually been a bit optimistic with their weight estimates but I can't believe they would really be 400lbs optimistic...

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Dbk/Ftyl, would be quite interested to see what happens if/when you ever put the F12 on a set of scales to see if the motortrend car was an anomaly. Ferrari have usually been a bit optimistic with their weight estimates but I can't believe they would really be 400lbs optimistic...
+1...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

Reference:
All depends on how a car is equipped. If you spec the heavy seats, you get a heavier car. The forged sport wheels reduce weight as well as certain carbon options would too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Will drive it over this afternoon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts