McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, as my sig says, I have an Ferrari F12 and a 12C Spider... I was just in my F12 driving, and I had this weird feeling of "why do I have this car?!" - since I have the 12C I hardly ever drive it. Actually, I got the f12 when they were released (2nd delivery in Belgium, one of the first deliveries in Europe in general) but I have no noticed it only has 6500km on it. My 12C that's just 2 months old already has 5500km.

Got me to think... Totally different car, I realize that. But what do you guys think? What should I do? Sell?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only keep if you see the point. If you grab the keys to the 12c every time you go out sell the f12 while its still holding value.
Right... I do have a bunch of cars, but I am at least using the others.. Especially once the Aston's and my tesla arrive I hardly see me using the F12. And I guess since its not one of their big models it is not worth it to keep just for long term value huh?

Maybe I should replace it with a 458 speciale?

Decisions, decisions... :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Right... I do have a bunch of cars, but I am at least using the others.. Especially once the Aston's and my tesla arrive I hardly see me using the F12. And I guess since its not one of their big models it is not worth it to keep just for long term value huh?

Maybe I should replace it with a 458 speciale?

Decisions, decisions... :)
Have you seen the speciale yet ?

What's wrong with the f12 out of interest? Still haven't got round to driving one. Is it a bit dull ?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Well, the first thing you should do is post some pictures of it.

I think it's a pretty cool car, minus that dumb thing on the rear bumper. Depends on the color a bit too. Never driven one, pretty rare in the US still. Seems like the market in Europe is very soft for them though and easy to come by at decent prices.

You have like 12 cars in your sig and an incoming P1. Chances are you barely drive any of them ;)

I'd keep it. It's fast, it's good looking, and it's got trunk space. What's not to like?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
If you have an F12, why do you have the Bentley and the Astons? Get rid of those. Depreciation is Aston's middle name.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
If you have an F12, why do you have the Bentley and the Astons? Get rid of those. Depreciation is Aston's middle name.
Yeah, totally. I'm he has plenty of experience in these cars, but Bentleys and AMs will depreciate pretty bad. Keep the Bentley if you need 4 seats and it's a 4 seater, but I'd dump any AM. They look nice, but they just aren't great cars anymore and they depreciate really bad. You'll lose way more on the Rapide than the F12.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It would be amazing to have access to the type of cars you have. I would suggest keeping the cars you love, enjoy and have an emotional attachment with, nevermind making decisions based on depreciation.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I know this syndrome. My red line is: if a depreciating car sits undriven in the garage for a month, becuase both Christine and I are consistently preferring to drive something else, it is time for that car to go. Sometimes it is hard to do at the time, but consistently afterward we look back without regret at the decision.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If I was in your position I would definitely consider the Speciale. The F12 is designed to be driven everyday. You have the 12c and plenty of other cars for that. The Speciale is more of a special occasion type of car. It's not designed to be driven everyday so therefore it seems that it may be a good alternative for your F12. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hi all, as my sig says, I have an Ferrari F12 and a 12C Spider... I was just in my F12 driving, and I had this weird feeling of "why do I have this car?!" - since I have the 12C I hardly ever drive it. Actually, I got the f12 when they were released (2nd delivery in Belgium, one of the first deliveries in Europe in general) but I have no noticed it only has 6500km on it. My 12C that's just 2 months old already has 5500km.

Got me to think... Totally different car, I realize that. But what do you guys think? What should I do? Sell?
I'm super curious if you can tell me how you use these cars. I hope this doesn't come off at all insulting, as it definitely is not meant that way. I'm genuinely curious what the usage pattern/strategy is.

It's tough for me to get in the mindset of having more than 1-2 cars. One for general driving. And maybe a 2nd family car for your wife/gf to get groceries, etc. Maybe even a 3rd where you have some utility/estate car and each of you have something more to your liking for every day.

Beyond that, is it more like a fashion thing. You decide you want to be casual one day, and you drive something like a range rover. Another day, it's night out to the club so you drive the 458. Another day, it's to a business meeting so you drive an AM?

Or, is it more of a collection. So you know you wont drive a few of them too much, but it's ok, because you like them to be part of your collection because they are beautiful, or special and you like that aspect of it.

I don't have the means, but I wonder if I do, would I get into the collection side of it. As I find so many of these cars really beautiful, but then I have practical part of my brain saying, if you dont use it, dont get it thing going on.

Curious what your thinking is. And, dude, you have a freak'n awesome collection of cars! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have two young kids.

My daily driver is the Bentley.
My wife's daily driver is the range rover.
My fun car is the 12c (convertible) and the f12 (gt)
My wife's fun car are the Maserati (convertible) and the vanquish (gt).

The rapide S we have to share as a daily driver with the kids.

And we usually take my wife's cars or the Bentley when just the two of us go somewhere.

If we go with the kids, depending on what and where to, if we need lots of luggage it's the range if not its the rapide.

That's the basics really.

So if I would go somewhere alone for a day, 12c most likely.
If I just drive around the city, most likely the Bentley (shared soon with the tesla).
If my wife goes alone it is the range usually when shopping, especially if she takes a kid. Or the vanquish if she drives to a friend or such.
If we go to family in Germany with kids, range or rapide.
If I drive my bigger daughter to school, she most likely will demand the "horse car" :) she loves the f12.

·
Administrator
2,740 Posts
I know this syndrome. My red line is: if a depreciating car sits undriven in the garage for a month, becuase both Christine and I are consistently preferring to drive something else, it is time for that car to go. Sometimes it is hard to do at the time, but consistently afterward we look back without regret at the decision.
An extremely sensible approach. I will have to start trying to abide by the Treynor Principle on Depreciating Assets.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Cool ftyl. I get it, makes a lot of sense. The bently is more low key. Although it sounds like you may have some functional overlap with the bently, the tesla and the rapide, right? Kind of 4 seat sedans with some luggage room kind of cars.

And then you and the wife each have a little overlap on the fun cars (12C and F12 for you) (Maserati and vanquish for her). Although she has more distinction in that one is a convertible for fun in the sun.

So, depending on use, you might have some consolidation on the family sedan side and on your fun drives?

Have you thought about keeping some as collectables.

What about your Mercs and Mini?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool ftyl. I get it, makes a lot of sense. The bently is more low key. Although it sounds like you may have some functional overlap with the bently, the tesla and the rapide, right? Kind of 4 seat sedans with some luggage room kind of cars.

And then you and the wife each have a little overlap on the fun cars (12C and F12 for you) (Maserati and vanquish for her). Although she has more distinction in that one is a convertible for fun in the sun.

So, depending on use, you might have some consolidation on the family sedan side and on your fun drives?

Have you thought about keeping some as collectables.

What about your Mercs and Mini?
I sold my mercs and my wife sold her mini. She in essence traded a Mini Cooper s in for a vanquish. :)

But yeah, not sure. I do have enough room so I could keep them all, but I just today noticed that I did not really enjoy it. It confused me which caused the post.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The thing I find enormously funny here is that the guy that has to make sure a website never goes down, gives advise to a guy who has to make websites that have to make your willy never go down, about cars and when to sell them. You got to love it.;):)
LOL :) who here makes sure websites do not go down, you? :) might be some good biz opportunity between us. :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I sold my mercs and my wife sold her mini. She in essence traded a Mini Cooper s in for a vanquish. :)

But yeah, not sure. I do have enough room so I could keep them all, but I just today noticed that I did not really enjoy it. It confused me which caused the post.
Nice upgrade! Although the mini is super fun in its own way.

Ah. Interesting dilema. Let us know what you decide to do. I'm interested in the thought process.

For example, if I had an F1 a long time ago. I'm not sure if it would be daily driver material (in my world, the 12C is a daily driver). If it were, I don't know if I'd upgrade to anything even now. But if it weren't a daily driver, and I got the 12C, I think that's a car I would keep like a collectable (despite being able to sell it for some obscene amount of profit) as it's just so beautiful to me.

I get really attached to certain cars, and others I cannot wait to dump. For example, I have an old old 91 integra. My mom helped me get it. Was such a great car. Little 130hp puppy of a car that just was so "can do" for what it is. Special to me, so cannot part with it (not that its worth anything). I had a 2000clk, nice looking car, but so many electronic problems that I wanted to run it over with a road leveler and not take any trade in value (I was talked out of that btw).

Anyway, if you don't feel any attachment to the F12, financially, it may make sense to trade it in while it's trading high. I would definitely look into the 458speciale. It may be abel to out do the 12C and is worth a look. Plus, it will satisfy your daughter's preferences as well. :) Although if it's good enough or better than the Mac, you may find yourself consolidating there as well. Such is the endless march of progress. :)

Good luck with the decision!

1 - 20 of 103 Posts