McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
For Chris Harris to stand a chance on being the successor to Jeremy Clarkson in hosting Top Gear (when JC retires) this had to happen. Glad to see he's back in them.

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
For Chris Harris to stand a chance on being the successor to Jeremy Clarkson in hosting Top Gear (when JC retires) this had to happen. Glad to see he's back in them.
No way! He's a good car reviewer but that's it. He hasn't got the slightest sense of humour and reacts quite oddly in some situations. I much, much prefer Jethro Bovingdon from EVO, he's much more entertaining than Chris, with probably equal driving skills.

And he can drift too. :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
No way! He's a good car reviewer but that's it. He hasn't got the slightest sense of humour and reacts quite oddly in some situations. I much, much prefer Jethro Bovingdon from EVO, he's much more entertaining than Chris, with probably equal driving skills.

I don't disagree about Jethro. I think he does some great reviews too and is a very good driver. Both James May and Jeremy Clarkson can't be far from retirement so there may be two spots up for grabs. Chris and Jethro?

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I don't disagree about Jethro. I think he does some great reviews too and is a very good driver. Both James May and Jeremy Clarkson can't be far from retirement so there may be two spots up for grabs. Chris and Jethro?
No chance

There would be no car but Porsche with Hammond still there..

I think monkey can be quite funny... Not sure about mr b ... Not seen anything that would suggest he amusing or not.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It's probably me, but the constant over doing it with drifting vacillates between boring and annoying. I love a nice drift here and there, particularly when correcting from coming in a touch too hot. There's some purpose to it. Or to even set up for a particular exit, ala rally.

But this meaningless non purposeful drifting, is tiresome. It looks particularly dopey when they do the overhead helicopter shot, to show just how purposeless it is. They're going for "epic" in that shot, and what I see is "dopey."

Right, lets take a fast car to the track, to drive it in a way no one ever drives their car on the track. Very meaningful review. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
It's probably me, but the constant over doing it with drifting vacillates between boring and annoying. I love a nice drift here and there, particularly when correcting from coming in a touch too hot. There's some purpose to it. Or to even set up for a particular exit, ala rally.

But this meaningless non purposeful drifting, is tiresome. It looks particularly dopey when they do the overhead helicopter shot, to show just how purposeless it is. They're going for "epic" in that shot, and what I see is "dopey."

Right, lets take a fast car to the track, to drive it in a way no one ever drives their car on the track. Very meaningful review. :rolleyes:
Was going to right something similar john.. Seems the flick and power slide is the only thing that's important. If you want to drift why not just go for the caterham, which wins the track car award for essentially the same reasons. It is a hoot to drive no doubt, but traction out of corners for example seems never to be mentioned anymore..

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I'm in the Harris camp, myself. Don't think he's particularly suited for Top Gear, but his reviews can be uniquely informational when not drifting for drifting sake. Thumbs down on Jethro, despite having a first name that would make him an instant legend in the Southern United States. Reason being I often get the impression he doesn't actually know much about cars.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chris would be great, agreed. He has something quirky and fun about his personality. I think there's a chance for good chemistry with others. The producers can keep him from over doing the drifting, and it is fun in smaller doses.

Also, considering his gutsy stand against F, he really has earned my respect. Agree with him or not, you get the impression that his views are very genuine, and I value that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I thought he did a really good job. I enjoyed the shots, cinematography and editing too. After watching that I want an F12! I think he said it right though with all these exotics they are so hard to drive all out (safely) in any public road. They can and need to go so fast that a good track is the only place to really make them sing.

I'd love to get an open track with an F12 and all those sets of tires. Where do I sign up for his job!

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts

Totally agree!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts