McLaren Life banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just returned from the F1 testing at the Catalunya F1 track as a paying guest of Mclaren London.

It was my first exposure to the F1 Circus 'in the flesh' . Boy what a Circus it is! Perfection and elitism vie in fierce and deadly serious competition to be Number One, Numero Uno........second, as first of the losers, is utter failure.

In the Mclaren pit lane garage it was complete calm as Sergio Perez came in for his car to be adjusted. Pounced on by a cast of dedicated mechanics who, within seconds, had stripped the car of bodywork and parts. Apparently no one needs to talk as they all know what needs attention, although they all wear headsets and have communal communication. Our Mclaren F1 host said race day is no different........just calm attention to the task at hand.

Also in the garage were 5 or so engineers working laptops and viewing monitors. Each one focused on a particular aspect of the cars performance. Yesterday the tyres seemed to be the point of discussion and the screen profiled the heat and masses of other data.

The cars are LOUD. The familiar scream at revs accompanied by a very low bass percussion at low rev or entering a tight corner. Astonishing acceleration and braking that does not seem to come across on TV, very impressive in the flesh.

Perez came into Hospitality after lunch and told us a bit of his history and background plus his objective is to win the Championship...........came across as a good solid citizen, nice geezer according to the guests from Essex. We all wished him good fortune!

So a very interesting trip organised by Alastair of Mclaren London...........who also was in the winning Go Kart team.......what does he drive all day long to get on the podium!

ps. All the MP12 owners, some with serious supercar history including Fezza's, Lambo's and Porkers, had nothing but praise for their cars. Volcano Red was top choice amongst the more experienced buyers. Good team.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Nice GUY chico,even at that age he is very customer aware,where was my buddy Jenson ??,he must have known i didnt get an invite and thought there was no point turning up:D
Glad you enjoyed your day!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Round: Thanks for sharing these kinds of things that the rest of us wouldn't otherwise know about. Let's hope Jensen and Sergio are 1-2 in Australia.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GeorgeSSS. I expect them to have a dead heat for first..........they are showmen at heart........but my judjement can be suspect:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts