McLaren Life banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum.

I have a Mclaren F1 handbook that I may want to sell. It's from chassis 017, the car that was destroyed in a crash in Essex, so its filled in, signed by Gordon etc... Its in great condition.

Any idea of the value?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Well its about as rare as it gets !! Best to try one of the auction houses that deal in top end classics and start there,they should have dealt with rare manuals and have the contacts to be able to let the right people know and start a bidding war.!!

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Are you perhaps the same person who emailed me recently?

>8^)
ER

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I think I would start with Bonhams or Coys - both do well with literature and memorabilia.

I've never seen an F1 Owner's Manual from an actual car sell - especially not from a car with such interesting history. I have seen blank F1 Owner's Manuals change hands - typically for around £1,500 or so. Find the right buyer and you might get more. It's a very cool piece of automotive literature given all the hand drawings inside. As far as reading it goes, it is less interesting, but you do learn a bit more about the details of the car than from many other sources.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I was also going to suggest Bonhams or Coys,My father sells his vintage bikes through them,but as they are very rare and they want them to be star attractions in the brocuhure he refuses to pay a sellers premium.I would suggest as yours is unique you could also cut a deal.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
A pal of mine has the original F1 Brochure in perfect condition. He would sell it if the bribe was big enough.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
If you want to consider me a pal, you can tell people you know two. ;)

Compared to the Owner's Manual, there are a large number of that brochure in circulation - I picked mine up for around $250 but I have seen them sell for more. There is a slightly more rare version that is hard bound - those have sold for a lot more at times.

I don't love the F1's brochure so much because all the content within is of the very earliest styling model that didn't use the proper carbon chassis and had no real drivetrain installed. A lot of the details just aren't quite correct and I don't even think it includes a disclaimer that 'Specifications are subject to change'.

Also one of their mechanics told me they hated to push the thing around because it was so tremendously heavy. It was last spotted on display at the Beaulieu National Motor Museum around 1999 and then when it departed there apparently it finally got scrapped.

>8^)
ER

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have one of these, I have a blank version given to me by one of my dads customers when I was young.
wondering what it was worth?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've never seen an F1 Owner's Manual from an actual car sell - especially not from a car with such interesting history. I have seen blank F1 Owner's Manuals change hands - typically for around £1,500 or so.
I agree with your valuation. I own a blank version of the manual. A version with a chassis number may be worth more. It is definitely to the current owner of that car, but in the OP's case it doesn't exist anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts