McLaren Life banner

F1 meet in Italy

7K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Speedoholic 
#1 ·
#4 · (Edited)
There are a total of 19 F1s and a small number of MP4-12Cs for a few of the additional customers who were unable to bring along their own cars. McLaren are supporting the event with an impressive team of people and have all the items needed to look after the cars.

As scottishxj220 has alluded to, I was extremely honored to receive a very special invitation to this event. The whole experience has been completely amazing. My own photos and any specific info I might be able to share is embargoed until after the event has completed which was a condition of my participation and of course totally understandable. The only reason we are seeing pics from Simon at is point is that he is an owner himself. I can say the public and tourists in Italy right now are a bit overwhelmed when they see a convoy of McLarens coming through. Oh, and I am overwhelmed as well as I am sure you can imagine.

Might take a while but eventually you will see some incredible stuff from the few who are here covering the event. I expect it will not disappoint. :cool:

>8^)
Erik

#5 ·
Stoked for you Erik! Gotta be pretty awesome to be over there.

I was talking to an owner a few months ago and he was very excited to be there - first time he was shipping the car overseas just for a relatively brief event.

Can't wait to see your pics!

#7 · (Edited)
Here's a preview of some of my content. These images were taken on a 456 kilometer journey on the second day of the event that stretched up into the Dolomites and around the Sella Runde. If they look a bit familar it is because I allowed Simon Kidston to share them on his company's FB page today. I thought that was only fair since he'd done all the driving, paid for gas and covered the tolls. I was left to juggle his phone, my phone, three cameras and the Route Book with our directions. No easy task when there is a string of hairpins on the up and down on the route.

While I don't generally consider myself a photographer, I must say I was really quite pleased with the results of more than a few of these images. Hope you appreciate them as well. :)

The F1 Owner's Anniversary Event has ended today but my trip here in Italy still has a few more days to play out and I have some more ambitious plans to execute that will involve a lot of traveling so it might be a while before I am able to share much more.

You may want to keep an eye on the "McLaren F1 Owner's Club" thread on AutomotiveForums.com in the dedicated McLaren F1 section as others who were granted access like me may be able to start sharing their stuff a bit sooner than I will. On Sunday I'll be in the air for 12 hours for the return flight and then when I land I'll need to attempt to catch up on some sleep too.

>8^)
ER

#8 ·
Here's a preview of some of my content. These images were taken on a 456 kilometer journey on the second day of the event that stretched up into the Dolomites and around the Sella Runde. If they look a bit familar it is because I allowed Simon Kidston to share them on his company's FB page today. I thought that was only fair since he'd done all the driving, paid for gas and covered the tolls.
ER
I meet Simon in Geneva a few years ago. Very nice guy with just a wealth of knowledge about everything on four wheels.

#9 ·
Good pics.

Isn't the Sella Ronda just beautiful?

By THE WAY CAN THE DRIVER close the doors when in the centre seat?

Amazing that the car still looks, relatively, current style wise!

#15 ·
By THE WAY CAN THE DRIVER close the doors when in the centre seat?
Skipped over this question earlier, but yes - with a small stretch of the arm the driver can reach up over his head and grab the handle molded into the roof section of the door and pull it down to close. Here's the closest thing I think I have to an action shot:

= = = = =

Bit late in sharing my content here but hopefully it was worth the wait. I am not a photographer - just a car enthusiast who happens to own a camera so please keep that in mind when viewing my photos. This is 88 preview shots taken over the first two days of the Tour.

<cont>

#12 · (Edited)
19 F1s in all taking part in the event - some from as far away as New Zealand and Australia, many from America too. :cool:

01 - XP3 - Silver
02 - XP4 - Blue
03 - 001 - Silver
04 - 007 - Black
05 - 009 - Dark Silver
06 - 018 - Dark Silver HDF Kit
07 - 024 - Silver
08 - 038 - Orange Metallic
09 - 046 - Silver
10 - 062 - Silver
11 - 064 - Silver
12 - 067 - Silver
13 - 069 - Black w/Black wheels
14 - 072 - White/Red HDF Kit
15 - 05R - Cesar livery
16 - 06R - Harrods livery
17 - 07R - Historic Orange
18 - 10R - Red w/Yellow wheels and "GTR" graphics
19 - 12R - 1996 Gulf livery

>8^)
ER

#18 ·
I'd prefer not to comment on which owners were where in this instance, but indeed that looks very much like a car from his collection. ;)

>8^)
ER

#25 ·
Just so filthy! :eek:
What a privilege and experience, Erik.
Yes - you nailed it. Every moment memorable. :cool:

Is that His. Orange one the same one Tiff test-drove? (if you can comment)
"His"? Not sure who you are referring to, but I suspect you would not know the owner of the orange one that was in Italy.

It is also not the same orange GTR that Tiff drove. That was #16R, a 1996-spec GTR, no longer with the same man who had it when it was on 5th Gear.

This orange GTR in my shots is #07R, a 1995-spec GTR that placed 5th at Le Mans that year. It has been with the same collector for more than a decade and he couldn't be more thrilled with the car. He doesn't seem to have much of a public profile though beyond the recognition he receives for displaying some of his cars.

= = = =

In related news, just yesterday McLaren shared 15 more of my photos from Italy on their Facebook wall. Click on the image below if you are interested in seeing the rest. :)

>8^)
ER

#26 · (Edited)
Ah... "His. orange" is historic orange... haha... got lazy there. But thanks for the info...

Are "historic orange", "papaya orange" and "McLaren orange" basically the same? I've always went with Papaya orange.

Also... the dark-silver F1 with the HDF kit and MCL F1 plates... looks familiar. Dare I say, I think I saw Tiff test that one on TV too! LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.