McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
12C has a traditional fuel tank, not a rubber bladder like the F1 so the change interval does not apply.

F1s tanks are similar to what you'd find in a racing car. They used to have a change interval of 10 years but thanks to all the ethanol in today's modern gasolines it eats away at the rubber at a higher rate and then small bits of it can clog the fuel filter and pump.

The F1s engine is a stressed member of the chassis - everything rear of the firewall (covered in gold foil) and below the rear strut towers hangs off the engine. There aren't many road cars that have been built this way - most use sub-frames, but that makes things heavier. The engine is actually not terribly difficult to remove though compared to some vehicles. Still not a cheap car to service, of course. ;)

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
105 Posts
A F50 is very similar in design concept. Same era of construction as well.

It's interesting that you can buy the parts like the gas tank. Normally this is done at Woking.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The engine is not disassembled, it's simply removed, a leaking BMW engine part for the cam actuator addressed, and fuel cell replaced (I bet engine had to come out for that, too). Not at all unusual to replace fuel cell bladder in a 20 year old car, and ATL can make any custom fuel cell you like.
I also bet McLaren sent a tech to do or supervise the work; it's not a huge project and its cepaer than sending the entire car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
BMW Motorsports

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/14/jay-leno-extracts-the-v12-engine-from-his-mclaren-f1/#continued

Pretty interesting. Surprised that the fuel tank needs to be replaced so often, and that the engine needs this kind of attention. I wonder if the 12C is similar?

Anyway, pretty cool vid.

Says the engine itself does not need a rebuild before about 250000 km! The large service costs about £10000 annualy. A small one costs about £5000 yearly. This service is done at MTC. A fuel cell replaced every 5-10 years costs about £10000 + VAT. Annual running costs including service, tires, insurance costs about £25000-30000!

Average value of a McLaren F1 today is (If you could get hold of one in first place) about £4600000 + VAT! An Enzo is average valued at £1300000 + VAT.

Attention: A Huayra large service costs about £8500 including VAT.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
It's interesting that you can buy the parts like the gas tank. Normally this is done at Woking.
Parts were sourced from Woking.

I also bet McLaren sent a tech to do or supervise the work; it's not a huge project and its cepaer than sending the entire car.
Technician also supplied by Woking, but he definitely wasn't supervising. ;)

>8^)
ER

1 - 7 of 7 Posts