McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
It happens to them all,just keep an eye on it as there is a fix for newer cars,but even those condensate a bit !

·
Registered
964 Posts
One of mine was changed out for the same issue.
only the O/S on mine

·
Registered
183 Posts
One of mine were replaced. Along with the spoiler brake light as well. The selling dealer told me this when I called asking the service history of the car. Ridiculous if you ask me.

·
Registered
964 Posts
That's just utter buffoonery. For over $250K USD WTF!!!!!!!!!!:eek::mad:
that has never happened to a Porsche I've owned let alone a previous Volvo!
Actually the 997 gen2 suffered quite a bit with this on the rear lights and the headlights, but don't let that get in the way of the usual rant :rolleyes:

·
Registered
310 Posts
My R8's headlights were the same. Audi wouldn't replace under warrantee, unlike Mclaren, saying "it's normal"...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Actually the 997 gen2 suffered quite a bit with this on the rear lights and the headlights, but don't let that get in the way of the usual rant :rolleyes:
My turbo has NEVER done that. It gets washed weekly n detailed twice in a given year. Again for over $250K USD that's ridiculous :p

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
My turbo has NEVER done that. It gets washed weekly n detailed twice in a given year. Again for over $250K USD that's ridiculous :p
Everyone knows German cars are (generally) superior to all others mechanically. But it's good to kick the horse periodically "just in case"...

With your vast knowledge of Porsche's manufacturing superiority & since we are seeking answers, let us know how McLaren can fix this (and many other for that matter) issue. I'm sure it's something simple the engineers at McLaren overlooked or were simply too inexperienced as a car manufacturer to figure out.

After all with the GT2 & GT3 RSRSRRRSSSSS models being the leaders dominating all of motor sports, Mac was probably so focused on getting a turd out the door that would beat a Porsche in a magazine review that they totally trashed any form of QA & figured those rich A-Holes that buy these over priced turds are too stupid to know the difference and will throw money at the repairs that will fund Mac's R&D to correct these rookie mistakes. The worst part with Mac is offering those damn Volcano colors. Those colors refract light at just the right frequency to make rich a-holes act like idiots & flee Porsche showrooms, travel hundreds of miles, and buy lesser turds of cars....

Damn cars should come with warning labels & buyers should be forced to sign "I'm an idiot" waivers before the test drive.

Do you own a widow maker 911? Those are very cool in my book, I'd love to have one.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Everyone knows German cars are generally superior to all others mechanically. But it's good to kick the horse periodically "just in case"...

Do you own a widow maker 911? Those are very cool in my book, I'd love to have one.
They are superior because they share components in so many different models over long periods of time. VW Group sells millions of cars, sharing tons of components, technology, and research. Of course they will be more ironed out than a car that sells 1,000 per year.

The R8 has tons of Gallardo stuff and vice versa. It also has tons of generic Audi stuff that you can find on an A4 I'm sure. Same goes for a 911. I'm sure there are tons of things that are found on Boxsters, Caymans, and Cayennes.

It's pretty unrealistic to expect the same quality control out of McLaren as you would Porsche.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
We should all chip in and buy Widowmaker a new set of the Mac "penis" wheels, have them powder coated green and include a set of the latest P spec super tires. Then he can have Penis/green wheels on his Turbo. I'm making a huge assumption here but I feel these wheels on his turbo may sum up the vast majority of his posts I've been privileged to read, not only about the 911 but the owner (in this case) himself....

Just trying to throw my money at a worthy cause, not the Mac.

Please read between the lines on this one.

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
They are superior because they share components in so many different models over long periods of time. VW Group sells millions of cars, sharing tons of components, technology, and research. Of course they will be more ironed out than a car that sells 1,000 per year.

The R8 has tons of Gallardo stuff and vice versa. It also has tons of generic Audi stuff that you can find on an A4 I'm sure. Same goes for a 911. I'm sure there are tons of things that are found on Boxsters, Caymans, and Cayennes.

It's pretty unrealistic to expect the same quality control out of McLaren as you would Porsche.
I agree. Audi saved Lambo from extinction in 2000.

My sarcasm was missed. The hardest transition for folks considering quality is going from a machine built, robot painted "manufactured" car to a low volume hand built one. Humans are not perfect. This is also the only area anyone with a car less than a Bugatti, Pagani, etc. can even begin to pick on the Mac. Low hanging fruit if you will.

I own several "exotics" - the more "exotic" it is the more little issues it has. That's why Porsche & Audi are such great everyday driver cars. For $100k and below its the Corvette. For the $200k and below its the Porsche. Above $200k no one gives a crap (with sports cars) about little issues we have to suffer thru development with the mfg, so long as they fix the issues, we are good. Kind of like a really hot girlfriend or wife, men tend to put up with a little more crap because of the hotness, same with cars.

If folks want safe, turnkey Toyota like reliability, refinement, etc..... Well they make Corvettes and Porsches for that demographic. Sure there not the best in performance but they are reliable and perfect from the factory. They are safe for those who's life's cannot tolerate a high maintenance exotic yet still want a fast car.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
We should all chip in and buy Widowmaker a new set of the Mac "penis" wheels, have them powder coated green and include a set of the latest P spec super tires. Then he can have Penis/green wheels on his Turbo. I'm making a huge assumption here but I feel these wheels on his turbo may sum up the vast majority of his posts I've been privileged to read, not only about the 911 but the owner (in this case) himself....

Just trying to throw my money at a worthy cause, not the Mac.

Please read between the lines on this one.
He would moan that the wheels slow down his 911. Compared to Porsche wheels of course.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have owned multiple P cars over the years and although great cars, they are far from immune from minor issues. My 997 Turbo (1st gen) had front suspension rattles early on and I had to take it in for the dealer to replace the front suspension under warranty, twice. My current Cayenne GTS has, at 10k miles, started giving me fuel level indicator faults. A foggy tail light on a Mac seems trivial compared to these issues, but who gives a damn, so long as its an easy fix with no structural defect/damage to the car. I remember the almighty Metzger block in some cars suffered from an oil leak that required a complete engine rebuild to fix.

Just to throw another dirty towel in the bucket, my current range rover has about 4000miles on the clock and has already had 7 recalls made on the car, a leaking radiator replaced, and a noise and vibration from the engine/gearbox (cause not yet unidentified) at certain rpm range.

Fact of the matter is that all cars are expected to have issues. Some less than others. The newer it is the less chance they would have had to wrinkle out the issues. Add to that that the fact that the Mac is a hand built car that was designed from scratch and manufactured in small quantities then it is expected that you will face some issues compared to Porsche or other more mainstream and mass produced cars.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts