McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I take back every bad thing I have said about the 12C. It makes the 458 Italia feel like a Hyundai. The changes via the new software and hardware are incredible. Will post a video of my drive when I receive my disc in the mail. No issues with the paddles at all! Richie Hearn was my instructor, ex Indy driver. Only issue was I was using light throttle on turn in, once corrected the car rockets of the corners like no other. Drove in mid power and suspension settings.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're going to make ferrarichat implode!
To be fair, I was only able to drive the 458 in Sport Mode, but I doubt Race Mode would have made a significant difference.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
You can say that again??, unfortunately there are some very sensitive individuals on these forums. I'm not sure why that is, should it be a concern not at all. Yes the truth hurts just grin and bare it, upon which I would recommend a pint or two to drown your sorrows. Cheers....??

·
Registered
886 Posts
Brief but clear and to the point. And I would have assumed that Mark would be more biased towards the F car. Glad you enjoyed the laps!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
To be fair, I was only able to drive the 458 in Sport Mode, but I doubt Race Mode would have made a significant difference.
I don't mean to sound rude Mark, but why put it there if not to make a significant difference. Honestly it doesn't matter to me, I love my car and everything that everyone has to say about it good or bad. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
886 Posts
I don't mean to sound rude Mark, but why put it there if not to make a significant difference. Honestly it doesn't matter to me, I love my car and everything that everyone has to say about it good or bad. Cheers.....??
I think exotics racing makes you keep it in sport.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I should have added, if it was me I'd have it in race mode all the time unless it was bone breaking then sports mode it would have to be. Cheers....??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Drove the 570-4 SL first, was able to coerce them to let me drive in Sport with me owning the 670 SV, but no Corsa even with begging. 570 felt way faster than 458. 458 felt like something was plugged or wrong with car. 3 cars had CEL light showing in the middle of my 7 laps.

Only problem with 12C, door opened before we started, after I closed it.

I am just really happy with the new updates, huge improvement since Summer when I last drove one. Even liked the sound. Might just give my 458 back to Dealer when it arrives, to await 458 Scud model.

BTW, even with only Exotic's Racing experience, no car was able to pass me, even held off a 458 for 5 laps in the SLS.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
So your getting a Hyundi spider then?? Shake rattle and roll :D
Welcome to the enlightened;)

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
458 needs to be in race mode to get the best out of it no question.. only way to keep the tyres vaguely flat.. .they don't even let you put it in race mode round fiorano mind... but if you want to see it at it's best its essential to have it in race.. also very sensitive to tyre pressures... 0.2 bar wrong made it feel like a very different beast

·
Registered
380 Posts
I take back every bad thing I have said about the 12C. It makes the 458 Italia feel like a Hyundai. The changes via the new software and hardware are incredible.
Mark: Apologize for being a dunce. What is the new hardware?

Thanks for your report and looking forward to the video.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
No comment.

Okay, well maybe I have a few... ;)

If you spend all day at ER and drive enough cars (i.e. spend enough $$$), some instructors will let you take some liberties with race modes and redlines, especially if you explain to them how much track experience you have. I drove the 458 in race mode and it won't close the gap to the 12C and, in fact, may be worse depending on your driving ability and style as it just makes the car even more nervous and wiggly, which is its biggest disadvantage, in my opinion.

If you only drove the 12C in Sport, too, then you are in for even more surprise when you finally get in Track/Track. The difference in handling from Sport to Track is much more pronounced than the same switch in the Ferrari, as the hydraulic suspension tightens considerably and the car experiences almost zero roll, dive/squat.

As andy said, welcome to the light. Glad to see you figured out that the real world is somewhat different than what is portrayed by the media.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts