McLaren Life banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Growing up as an enthusiast & being in/around rare, high-performance, unique motor-vehicles - various terms seem to creep into the vernacular. Words that come to mind include: GT, sports-car, sports-coupe, ultra-luxury, hyper-car, classic/vintage, super-car and... exotic!

I'm curious what the masses designate as "exotic" or not! Indeed, what's quote-unquote exotic to one doesn't hold true for another. Is there any criteria? Does it ever change?

The following present interesting & compelling arguments either way...

- Is a Chevrolet Corvette an exotic? If not, what about a ZR1 or Calloway/Hennessy offering?

- The Lotus Evora is an exotic, is a Lotus Elise/Exige an exotic? What about the Tesla Roadster?

- Is the Dodge Viper an exotic? If in ACR trim? What about the Plymouth Prowler?

- Since the Ferrari 458 Italia/Spider are exotics, what about the Ferrari California GT?

- Is a 911 an exotic? If not, what about a 911 GT2 RS?

- Is the Maserati GranTurismo an exotic?

- Are TVR's exotics?

- Was the BMW Z8 an exotic?

- Is the Mercedes Benz SLS an exotic?

- Are late-model front-engine/RWD V12 Ferrari models exotics? Then what about Aston Martin DB-S and Bentley Continental GT Supersport or Rolls Royce Phantom Coupe/Drophead?

- Any others the blur demarcations and/or evoke an opine?

- Does the term exotic even really matter?

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a term made up by owners of (mostly Italian) temperamental, unreliable sports cars. To me, it's a stripper.
So succinct, yet poignant! :D
I have always though exotic was broader and included anything not often seen on the road or produced in limited numbers.

How do you define:

Sportscar
Supercar
Hypercar
GT

????????????????
Yuppers - "supercar" oft is quite the challenging one to clearly define. And GT has become quite ubiquitous indeed!

·
Registered
12 Posts
doesnt necessarily have to do with a price tag. a lotus is only 5 figures brandy new & i'd consider it exotic. so what defines it? exclusivity, rarity, its something uncommon, usually made by hand, something special that not everyone has, it makes such a statement that when seen most people will film it or smile and photograph it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
doesnt necessarily have to do with a price tag. a lotus is only 5 figures brandy new & i'd consider it exotic. so what defines it? exclusivity, rarity, its something uncommon, usually made by hand, something special that not everyone has, it makes such a statement that when seen most people will film it or smile and photograph it.
The X factor:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts