McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys know anything about mclaren authorizing dealers to sell new cars as demos and drop the price way down?

I've been thinking about buying a used mp4, and I'm wondering what this is going to do to used prices....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I've never heard of that. If true, boon to any current folks in the market, and sad for owners regarding resale.

I'd be really surprised if this is true. Now I bet there are bunch of legit demo models that have very low miles (the cars taken out for test drives) and I would expect those to go for discounts. If the miles are low enough on those models, I could see them being practically new.

·
Owner
544 Posts
I've never heard of that. If true, boon to any current folks in the market, and sad for owners regarding resale.

I'd be really surprised if this is true. Now I bet there are bunch of legit demo models that have very low miles (the cars taken out for test drives) and I would expect those to go for discounts. If the miles are low enough on those models, I could see them being practically new.
Theres nothing stopping a dealer registering a new demo every week. Selling the demo below list price seems to be a very common way of shifting stock.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Theres nothing stopping a dealer registering a new demo every week. Selling the demo below list price seems to be a very common way of shifting stock.
Yep, I work in the car industry and I'm afraid this is common. Even Ferrari will do it. When a product is brand new there is usually less opportunity because existing pre-orders are being filled and the dealer cannot replace his demo so will not sell it (contractually obliged to carry a demo).

Some franchises will limit demo bonus cars but not all.

At the end of the day, every business is bound by a few simple rules - no exceptions. One of those is cashflow. If cars aren't selling as fast as they are being made everyone, and I mean everyone, will at some point find a way to quietly dispose of stock and recirculate cash, regardless of profit.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Any of you guys know anything about mclaren authorizing dealers to sell new cars as demos and drop the price way down?

I've been thinking about buying a used mp4, and I'm wondering what this is going to do to used prices....
This has been IMV going on with the 12C for a few months now. With the replacement around the corner.

My view is get one while you can. The 12c at current price has to be the bargain of the past 10years...No matter how good the new car is. I just can not see 100k diff.

I would expect 12Cs to frim up early next year....

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
US prices for 2012 12c coupes have been fairly steady in the 190k-220k USD for a while now. That said, available inventory on cars.com and dupontregistry has gone up quite a bit in the last few weeks.

I don't know if the dealers are looking to get rid of their demo cars for under list, but the comments from folks in that industry certainly makes it sound like they could be.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Ferrari have a large stock of 458 dropheads hidden away as have Merc with the SLS, Audi, Porsche (massive discounts on stock 911's) so why would it be different for Mclaren..........the market is pretty flat and deflating according to the brokers.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Dealers can't just toss every car on the lot in the demo category - they are allocated and regulated

Regardless - I would never buy a demo MP4 the whole idea of someone trashing a car to determine if the car is right for them.

It's sort of like marriage ... would you marry the hot hooker or her virgin sister.

Now if this were a Lambo forum :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
I was casually told by an employee of a dealer that MacNA is selling off the first wave of cars that they had at that track days for non-owners. "Several dozen."I was amazed at the several dozen figure. But I have noticed a bunch of "demo" 12Cs lately with a couple of K miles.

Just to straighten out my nomenclature... A "demo" is a never before registered car that has more than delivery miles on it, right? That doesn't include manufacturer plates because they were registered. So if the OP is correct, these are demos that will have exceedingly low miles on them. In the 50-200 mile range. If that is the case it is the deal of the decade as CL said. Are we talking 2014's? Or unsold 2013. I know they made very few coupes with 2013 MY.

May buy another if 100k discount is in the offing.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Dealers can't just toss every car on the lot in the demo category - they are allocated and regulated

Regardless - I would never buy a demo MP4 the whole idea of someone trashing a car to determine if the car is right for them.

It's sort of like marriage ... would you marry the hot hooker or her virgin sister.

Now if this were a Lambo forum :)
Jeez does she have to be a hooker? Can't she just be hot and experienced a bit?

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Jeez does she have to be a hooker? Can't she just be hot and experienced a bit?
It's a tracked demo - would you prefer ridden like the town bicycle?

I wouldn't touch a tracked demo ... knowing what guys are capable of on track days when they have no skin in the game.

The thought of a Mac without clear bra on the track alone isn't worth it.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts

I wouldn't touch a tracked demo ... knowing what guys are capable of on track days when they have no skin in the game.

whats all of this talk about a hot hooker with a clear bra,its Christmas !!!

Wifes,a good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong !! the secret of a good marriage,whenever you're wrong admit it,whenever your right keep your mouth shut !!

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts

Wifes,a good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong !! the secret of a good marriage,whenever you're wrong admit it,whenever your right keep your mouth shut !!
Andy - you are correct ... there should be pictures of each demo's and it's undercarriage. :)

Then we can discuss each one based on it's own mertits.

Makes me wonder what Andy got for Christmas!

·
Registered
715 Posts

Absolutely..

That's why I mentioned the "demos" that were on those "track days"

If I remember correctly, they had manufacturer plates on them. If so a car fax would find that. At least in nj. Dealer tags no.

In any event it would be easy for a careful eye to pick up on one that was mistreated.

But let's ponder the reality. If they were tracked on these dealer days, and looked after by Mac and furthermore Certified and with complete as new warranties with new consumables including tires and the fabulous wheel spoilers(?). Would 100k discount be enough for that history? To follow that thought exercise, I would compare them to a hot single mom stripping on the side to pay the bills. Not a full on crack whore with few teeth and one shoe.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Andy - you are correct ... there should be pictures of each demo's and it's undercarriage. :)

Then we can discuss each one based on it's own mertits.

Makes me wonder what Andy got for Christmas!
At the moment Doug its the McLaren racing driver training programme,but I'm beginning to think I need another type of training...................

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

Wise words Andy!!! :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Absolutely..

That's why I mentioned the "demos" that were on those "track days"

If I remember correctly, they had manufacturer plates on them. If so a car fax would find that. At least in nj. Dealer tags no.

In any event it would be easy for a careful eye to pick up on one that was mistreated.

But let's ponder the reality. If they were tracked on these dealer days, and looked after by Mac and furthermore Certified and with complete as new warranties with new consumables including tires and the fabulous wheel spoilers(?). Would 100k discount be enough for that history? To follow that thought exercise, I would compare them to a hot single mom stripping on the side to pay the bills. Not a full on crack whore with few teeth and one shoe.
The thing is, if the dealer makes a repair themselves, that never shows up on car fax. So she says she was stripping just to put the kids through collage, but you don't know what was happening back there in the champagne room. :)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
So she says she was stripping just to put the kids through collage, but you don't know what was happening back there in the champagne room. :)
You lot are not here for the cars are you?!

·
Registered
715 Posts
The thing is, if the dealer makes a repair themselves, that never shows up on car fax. So she says she was stripping just to put the kids through collage, but you don't know what was happening back there in the champagne room. :)
Right, I know. I was looking more to whether it was registered or not. As a manufacturer car or whatever. As I said, the event I went to the cars had manufacturer plates on them.

Don't think we're talking about smashed cars, that would be very underhanded of mclaren. But cars that were used vigorously but with care and were then brought back up to spec by the manufacturer and intact warranty from the day you drive off with it.

I have a friend with a close to brand new RR autobiography that he paid $70k for with a salvage vin and no warranty that was brought over and the electrical problems were such that they lemon lawed it. Apparently there are quite a few hitting the wholesale auctions recently. My point is that smashed cars or lemon lawed cars are one thing. Cars used by the manufacturers for marketing purposes that included a few hot laps by pros maybe an option for some looking to get into THE FREAKING GREATEST CAR OF ALL TIME* at a more approachable price. Having these cars dictate the resale market is a horse of a vastly different color, however.

*just a bit o' fun hyperbole.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts