McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

just had a look into the sport exhaust of my 720s spider, and I can see on both sides a valve.
It's a German version so maybe not applied in all countries.

But is there someone who has an idea how to get control of them to keep them permanent open?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
hello,

just had a look into the sport exhaust of my 720s spider, and I can see on both sides a valve.

But is there someone who has an idea how to get control of them to keep them permanent open?

Thanks...
Those valves are probably vacuum actuated. You'll need to find the solenoid and trigger it all the time. When you go in to track mode does it actuate the valve all the time? The EU McLaren techinfo portal might have the info you need to find it (https://mclarencars.techinfoportal.com/McLarenEU5) - you have to pay for access to the data tho.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hello,

Thanks...
Hi, my car is german and the dealer (McL Munich) has blocked the valves that are visible from the exhaust tips to be always open. Crossposting: are there other valves somewhere that open when in track mode?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, my car is german and the dealer (McL Munich) has blocked the valves that are visible from the exhaust tips to be always open. Crossposting: are there other valves somewhere that open when in track mode?

Hello, my dealer has pointed to this option as well...

What I'm missing is a button inside, like my AMG GTR has or Porsche has. Looks like that an option like this is not avaliable.
So I need to check the "always open" option and to test it.

But, maybe there is somewhere on the market a vendor who offers a kind of "blackbox" where u can control the valves with a remote control???

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Armytrix has an exhaust with remote controllable valves:

https://www.armytrix.com/product/mclaren-720s

It replaces the OEM entirely though, doesn't just control the OEM one. You could maybe switch the Armytrix and sell your Sports Exhaust if you really want remote controllable.. Or have someone design something to control the OEM (don't think anyone sells anything off the shelf?) - it shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks zerokewl for that hint....

Due to strict EU/German emission and noise rules I want to keep the stock sport exhaust.
So I need to look further to find the kind of black box I'm looking for.

Looks like here in Europe is a great market for it, as every buyer is complaining about this.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Those valves are probably vacuum actuated. You'll need to find the solenoid and trigger it all the time. When you go in to track mode does it actuate the valve all the time? The EU McLaren techinfo portal might have the info you need to find it (https://mclarencars.techinfoportal.com/McLarenEU5) - you have to pay for access to the data tho.

Thanks!

Z.

My understanding is the valves are electrically operated depending on Active panel settings and how aggressively you're driving. Not manually selectable like Porsche. I've also been lead to believe that if you are installing an exhaust system without valves into a car with them (non-US), the mechanisms needs to be left connected (to prevent CEL) and secured somewhere out of the way in the engine compartment.

https://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-720s/93135-larini-exhausts-electric-valve.html

36 Posts
[FONT=&quot]They’re an electronically-actuated valve. They’re variable in their ability to open and close as a percentage rather than on/off.

They can communicate with the car’s ECU, so unplugging them on a stock system will trigger a CEL.

QuickSilver’s sports system is non-valved, with integrated balance pipes, providing an excellent variety of note; and is supplied with a pre-programmed electronic connector which plugs in to your OE valve harness.

Open exhaust, no CEL’s. Bolt-on, bolt off. Here's the cat-back in action in SOL's video.

[/FONT]

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
If it’s electrically activated I’d say it would be even easier to control then... the detection loop will likely just be impedance (similar to bypassing electrical suspension actuators on things like M3’s), to prevent CEL’s.

And to actually control the valve... depends on how it works. If it is *variable* (ie isn’t simply triggered fully open or fully closed), then it probably uses a servo-style controller, so probably doesn’t use a return spring, and thus you just need to trigger it to fully open and leave it there.

If you want to control it, then you’ll just need servo drive logic - could be done in an arduino or RPI pretty easily.

Next time I get in to the McLaren tech documents I might look it up for fun - see if the wiring diagrams give me any idea on how it works since it would be tough to get ahold of one of the actuators here in the US.

Easiest way though if you’re not electronically inclined would be an aftermarket exhaust option already discussed here (either always bypassed with a CEL defeating adaptor, or something like Armytrix with their valved exhaust - which would need that defeat adaptor too).

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was just told the flap can be programmed via an ecu upgrade to be open all the time, controllable via the dials in the cockpit. Non-official by a third-party garage of course. Cost apparently 2500 Euros

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was just told the flap can be programmed via an ecu upgrade to be open all the time, controllable via the dials in the cockpit. Non-official by a third-party garage of course. Cost apparently 2500 Euros
Well, I have good news for you, there is a much cheaper solution. ;)

I've investigated that question myself (MY20 Spider on its way), and it appears that NOVITEC is selling a solution:
See ref. C1 720 95 (last line on the 1st page). It's only €190 + VAT but then you need a garage to install it for you (which should be anyway much cheaper than the 2500€ solution).

Here are some bits of the email from Nivotec I've received today:

Dear Daduke,

the installation is not that difficult but need to be finished in a workshop.
To reach the exhaust valves control, the rear wheels need to be released and the wheel arche liner as well

For the legal inspection it will be better when the valves are closed

I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting! But this only seems to be a little gizmo which you connect between the valves and original connector. The ecu programming would enable you to switch it back to original with a turn of the dial.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Interesting! But this only seems to be a little gizmo which you connect between the valves and original connector. The ecu programming would enable you to switch it back to original with a turn of the dial.
Are you sure? I’ve been told by my McLaren dealer which I trust 100%, that it was technically impossible to have a system with an open/closed switch.
But maybe some smart guys found their way into the ECU reprogramming. I would be a bit scared with potential warranty issues, that being said.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As I was the initiator of this thread...

I have bought the ASR controller: Klappensteuerung RX1 McLaren (McE2)

It works great, u have three choices:
1. Alway open
2. Always closed
3. Stock function

By pressing one button on the remote control for 10 seconds u activate the function to be master mode.
If not, the car starts always in the last mode that was used when the engine stops.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts