McLaren Life banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just appeared today on youtube.

Enjoy! IMO, this is how mclaren should have done its marketing: A true dynamic daily driver supercar. I think these Evo segments may lure a few buyers from the other side.

http://youtu.be/elbiJJjvDD4

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I think the most amusing thing is that in the road test this month against 458 and Audi r8 they describe the noise of the car as being ' borderline industrial and unpleasant during full throttle acceleration. In track mode its actually painful'
Mr Meade, you might want to ask the bloke next to you in the picture why that is... or just turn the bloody thing off....

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I must say, Nick, that was a nice little piece and I'll take your sensible approach over a meaningless Tiff drift-fest any day of the week.

However, since you are asking for ideas, let's get down to brass tacks, then: Why don't you give the nice McLaren folks back their long-termer, since it is essentially still a press car being provided by the factory. Then go and borrow a customer's car (maybe RIC from this board will volunteer) and, likewise, hunt down a customer Aventador, Huayra, GT2 RS, 458 and may as well get a customer F12, too. If you can find board member KSA, please get his customer Lexus LFA, since we know it is fast. ;)

Now, once you have gone and procured all of these customer-spec cars (do I really need to bold that, yes, I do), go and drag race them or take them to the track. Or take them for a latte through the drive-through, whatever. Tell us how it is. THAT would be interesting and relevant automotive journalism.

I suspect there is a long list of reasons why this is not feasible. For sure, it is difficult to find owners willing to lend their cars. Also, you surely risk pissing off the empire, i.e. the hand that feeds your existence, otherwise known as car manufacturers. But, really, if we have journalists risking their lives in war-torn countries to bring us news, can we not ask the automotive media to put in a little bit of elbow grease and skin in the game, rather than continue to pass along these paid advertorials disguised as objective product reviews?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Chuckle ... Sweet! And so true, 6th.
Reviewing a car may be an art, but sprinkle in a measure of facts and fairness. I don't care if the reviewer was hung over that day, or prefers a manual, or thinks he's a poet, or a car salesman or an F1 star awaiting his talent scout. It's about real world fun and usefulness.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Chuckle ... Sweet! And so true, 6th.
Reviewing a car may be an art, but sprinkle in a measure of facts and fairness. I don't care if the reviewer was hung over that day, or prefers a manual, or thinks he's a poet, or a car salesman or an F1 star awaiting his talent scout. It's about real world fun and usefulness.
It's just beyond boring now. I never buy car mags any more because they just aren't worth it. Now, considering they cost about the price of a coffee and I drive a car with a quarter of a million dollar price tag, that is a pretty sad statement. Where is the innovation in the format? Or even the content, for that matter? I could write a computer program in a few minutes that could spit out almost every supercar review I've read in the past 10 years. I think the writers sometimes probably even forget which car they were writing about, without checking the pictures.

The problem is that they can't exist without the manufacturers suppling the cars. Or can they? I don't know; is there a market for the truth? If they took the extra time and cost to really discover it, would they be rewarded enough to make it profitable? Or at least sustainable? Probably not, but I would love if somebody would at least try.

I'm saddened that McLaren is just slotting in line, learning the ropes and trying to figure out how to maximize the existing media environment. I wish they'd bring the same level of innovation to the media side of things, as they do with the technology in the product itself. It's all so mundane - get a Twitter account, a Facebook page, get the press cars to the mags, now the long-termer.... Blah. If McLaren is going to supply the car, at least show me Jenson or Checo thrashing the sh!t out of it. I don't mean pandering to journos with ride-alongs. I mean really going for a lap time somewhere, balls on fire.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Has anyone seen the comments below the video? :)

Looks like an interesting thread to follow on EVO....

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
It's just beyond boring now. I never buy car mags any more because they just aren't worth it.

I don't mean pandering to journos with ride-alongs. I mean really going for a lap time somewhere, balls on fire.
100% agree - writers are bought by the advertisers no desire to read a commercial.

This guy isn't going to blow this opportunity - he too appears tired of bought driving impressions - couldn't ask for a better combination.

·
Administrator
2,745 Posts
100% agree - writers are bought by the advertisers no desire to read a commercial.

This guy isn't going to blow this opportunity - he too appears tired of bought driving impressions - couldn't ask for a better combination.
EVO is pretty independent. They tend to call it straight and have done battle with Ferrari, Porsche etc when reviews have not been as glowing as hoped and warts revealed.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
EVO is pretty independent. They tend to call it straight and have done battle with Ferrari, Porsche etc when reviews have not been as glowing as hoped and warts revealed.
Do you think they would Dyno that rarri and post the results though boxer?

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Depends on if Ferrari will let them.
I don't really see how any magazine that has to get a manufacturer's permission to dyno the car can be described as independent.

Granted, we are not comparing toasters or vacuums, so it is not feasible for publications to go out and procure the products incognito. Mr. Trott said they would get customer cars and compare them; last I heard from you, boxer, is that he had a bad back and would sort it after he was well. Did that test ever happen? If not, why?

As consumers, we should be pushing the publications towards this level of objectivity. That is, if enough of us even care, which is a big if. Otherwise, I'm afraid all of these articles and videos are good for nice pictures and sounds, but that's about it.

p.s. Never mind the dyno, that won't tell you anything about tire compound, ride height and alignment. Not to mention gearbox calibration. Why invest so many resources trying to make sure a factory-supplied car is legit, vs. just putting that energy into getting a customer car to test? I'm sure many customers would offer, if they could be assured of suitable insurance in case of accident and some compensation for the gesture (new set of tires?). Oh wait, the manufacturers would still have to agree to not blacklist the magazine.....

So where is the independence?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts