Thanks Drifter for putting that up.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Drifter. That's a nice read. What a car.
Cheers. I'm driving from Land's End to John o'Groats at the moment (look up the route guys!), aw heck, here it is... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land's_End_to_John_o'_Groats ...and was driving one handed as I scanned and downloaded all these pages to the forum. Add the fact that my cruise control is set at 99MPH (at 100MPH I'd lose my license) and all this muck about dangerous Ring driving makes me laugh. Plus I'm wearing my cool dark lens Ray Bans, can't see much but oh shite whats that blu lite flashin bhind me FUUUUUUU

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I've re-uploaded the article all on the first post, and the sizes are larger so hopefully everyone can read it, if not let me know and I upload larger images.

Cheers, enjoy

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Guys.. stupid question...

Is this the article that all this debate in the ring time thread started from?!?!

The damn test run is from _MID AUGUST_ (says so on the first page)... It is not about the run in October as far as I can see?! This puts the quote at the end of the article in completely different perspective, no? "While McLaren will later confirm that..." ... is not a reference to the FUTURE. How does he know what "will later happen" unless the article simply means "later" in relation to the mid-august test run this article talks about?!

I might not be native-english here, but sorry, in relation to this whole article, that quote that everyone got so up in arms about it COMPLETELY ripped out of context and if you read the whole thing means something COMPLETELY different.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Guys.. stupid question...

Is this the article that all this debate in the ring time thread started from?!?!

The damn test run is from _MID AUGUST_ (says so on the first page)... It is not about the run in October as far as I can see?! This puts the quote at the end of the article in completely different perspective, no? "While McLaren will later confirm that..." ... is not a reference to the FUTURE. How does he know what "will later happen" unless the article simply means "later" in relation to the mid-august test run this article talks about?!

I might not be native-english here, but sorry, in relation to this whole article, that quote that everyone got so up in arms about it COMPLETELY ripped out of context and if you read the whole thing means something COMPLETELY different.
No it's not.. there's another which is an editorial about evo not being invited for the October run.. peloton posted the text in full . Chris Harris been on Twitter today saying McLaren won't post a time. Assume from same source as evo

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
It looks like McLaren has been conferring with 6th on his marketing genius on how to win this hyper car PR campaign. :) I will be surprised if they post a time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
First of all, thanks Drifter for taking the time to shat this. Now to those who insist on setting a lap time as being unnecessary and the pointless of a car like this being so focused on speed, I say ferrari fxx. People pay damn good money for one that they can't even take home. And then more to have as much fun as they can handle with one on almost any track. Why not for a car that you can use everyday and that will destroy the fxx at that. Can we change the Subject please?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Great article Drift..... Hope the Po Po(that's a local term) didn't give you a ticket!;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
THANKS! I was looking, but could not find, the EVO editorial quote that WTDOOM had posted. Does anyone have that quote?

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
THANKS! I was looking, but could not find, the EVO editorial quote that WTDOOM had posted. Does anyone have that quote?
Here you go. Posted by Peloton25 on 11-1-2013

Here's is the EVO 'Editors Note' from Nick Trott which was posted to another forum.

Quote:
Nick’s patience for the Nordschleife lap time war is running out

When we began negotiations with McLaren about joining the P1 test team at the Ring, it was expected that the ultimate lap time would be achieved and revealed in time for this issue. At the last minute, I got a text from McLaren that read: ‘I have a conclusion on the Ring question. And not sure if you’re going to like it.’ A few minutes later, I was on the phone to Woking.

During the conversation that followed, it was explained that (spoiler alert!) the P1’s lap time would never be revealed and that the official line was that McLaren ‘had achieved its objective of a sub-seven minute lap of the Nordschleife’. My first feeling was disappointment because I’m sure many of you will be expecting the time, and we can’t give it, but my second feeling was relief. Here’s why…

I couldn’t give a monkey’s about the cult of the Nordschleife lap time. Never have. The chase for a notable lap time has become a form of motorsport in itself, but a motorsport without a governing body, without appropriate safety measures, without independent adjudicators, and a motorsport that is governed by the ‘competitors’ themselves. The result is a pissing contest, a trivialising of the Ring’s history and a chase for lap times that puts lives at risk.

And for what? A marketing message? Well, this week you’re able to find out what two prominent supercar customers think of the ‘allure’ of the Nürburgring lap time and the (lack of) effect it has when signing a cheque for the best part of £1million.

Dickie Meaden has gone into this in more detail in his excellent column – a man who I trust more than any other to deliver an opinion on the Green Hell. It is the most honest, sensible, measured piece about the Nordschleife I’ve ever read.

McLaren may be pilloried for not announcing a lap time and you may think that it has dodged the bullet because it couldn’t beat Porsche. Either way, I’m glad we can put this to bed: had McLaren announced a quicker time there’s no doubt that everyone and his brother would attempt to beat it. But how many of those would exercise the same duty of care as McLaren or Porsche? After Sean Edwards’ death, and evo columnist Dario Franchitti’s terrifying accident last month, the world of performance motoring – and the Nordschleife – does not need any more tragedy or any more controversy.

The Green Hell’s role in improving driving dynamics and driving pleasure cannot be jeopardised by the chase for even faster lap times. When you feel its true effect on driving, you can really feel it. I had the privilege of experiencing it this month on eCoty. On a particularly tricky left/right/left-over-crest that turned a few other cars inside out, the sublime Aston Martin V12 Vantage S – a car partly developed at the Ring – carved through imperiously, leaving an experience of near-perfect chassis behaviour indelibly inked in my memory. That’s the Ring right there. Not three numbers separated by a colon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts