McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got the impression they tried really hard to make some aspects of the 458 positive, especially the steering. As for the scuttle shake issue...

·
Registered
964 Posts
Good article, the way I've taken it, is that EVO is about the driving experience- which I think we can all appreciate that Ferrari has something 'about it' that others don't seem to be able to reach... yet :rolleyes:
I still know which one I'd pick though...:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've not read it yet, but my first thought was 'again?!' Were the same cars, albeit in coupe form, doing the same head to head test two issues ago? When you take the roof off I'd be even more inclined toward the 12C.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
yeah and the r8 won that one...
its quite funny cos I've driven all three and it's no contest in the real world... appreciate that the new gear box could be a decent improvement over the last one (it would be hard not to be), but there's no way the r8 is even close to the mac, even making allowances for the price... it's a great car of course, but the mac is still better..

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Someone got paid off at EVO to come up with that conclusion, just another reason to say you can't believe in everything you read the true critics are the readers. Cheers....??

·
Administrator
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.....the 458 still won, but the 12c was closer than in previous encounters. We need another upgrade...
It seems very very close now. Not sure why they had an issue with the brakes, mine have been great.

McLaren clearly has the better chassis and steering, Ferrari the more exciting engine, and I would call it a tie on the gearbox.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I love the Audi ad they're showing on British TV these days that simply demonstrates the new R8 gearbox

·
Owner
277 Posts
Someone got paid off at EVO to come up with that conclusion, just another reason to say you can't believe in everything you read the true critics are the readers. Cheers....����
Nobody got paid off it has always been and never more then now the case that if the magazine or the writer gives a bad review they will never be flown in and given special privilege to do story's on any more F cars they have to tow the line.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Nobody got paid off it has always been and never more then now the case that if the magazine or the writer gives a bad review they will never be flown in and given special privilege to do story's on any more F cars they have to tow the line.
So in a sense they are being paid off, with the perks you've just mentioned. Cheers....??

·
Registered
359 Posts
You guys make me laugh, there is always a conspiracy.

Is anyone saying the actual magazine review was inaccurate - reads as pretty fair to me.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I didn't read the article/issue, but from what's been written I gather the 458 came out on top. Which is the reasons for my previous comments/remarks its all a freaking croc. Which is why Mac lets you go out and test drives their fabulous coupes or for that matter the spider, reason being they know they have the product and will let you go out and drive it to prove it. Cheers....??

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is absolutely the case, and a number of car journalists will freely admit it off the record. They don't like it but most see no way around it. The interest among car enthusiasts of all sorts is so high regarding Ferrari, that if you get cut off not just from free flights but just getting to attend meetings at all, you have a real problem, like maybe being out of work.

It's almost comical at times seeing these guys try to walk the fine line between a total falsehood and offending Ferrari. Chassis flex on the 458 spider is a great example. Anyone who has actually driven these cars know that they have a lot of flex, including the steering wheel jumping around in your hands over less than smooth roads. An owner in Atlanta posted over in FerrariChat about how he took a lead technician from Ferrari NA out in his car to show him the steering wheel movement and other flex related items and asked him directly if this is normal? The answer was a simple yes. Now go back and read the reviews and see the way they get around having to make the statement "the 12C spider has no flex and the Ferrari has quite a bit".

The only writer I know of who is bucking this is Chris Harris who called Ferrari out on one of their ringer press cars. He is somewhat artfully turning the Ferrari backlash against him to his advantage by doing things like showing up in disguise at Ferrari events and getting filmed doing it. He's trying to claim the ground of being the only writer willing to stand up and tell the truth. Seems to be working for him so far.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
You guys make me laugh, there is always a conspiracy.

Is anyone saying the actual magazine review was inaccurate - reads as pretty fair to me.
It's pretty easy to be conspiracy minded when you try both and the conclusion is different based on pretty objective performance differences.

Also, the black balling by Ferrari is not a conspiracy at all. See here:

http://jalopnik.com/5856492/this-is-the-only-way-chris-harris-is-allowed-to-test-drive-a-ferrari

Chris Harris now has to borrow cars from others to test drive them.

The juiced cars are well documented as well:

http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

It's a pretty petty and frankly shitty company in every way except for the cars themselves.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That review was the biggest load of politically correct shite I've ever come across, it was laughable and puts me off buying EVO, trying to please both parties and just edge the 458 in front. Sorry, but we all know what's going on and it stinks

1 - 20 of 125 Posts