McLaren Life banner
41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
If Tiff is such a great driver, and I don't doubt that, then how come he did not identify how to drive the Mac or suggest what required attention mechanically?

The reason I ask this is that's what we all discuss, in our own way, and I get dissapointed when a UK journalist is less than constructive. I have no problem in calling a car how he sees it but he comes across as superficial and that may be because the screen time is limited. Do you remember when topgear fedback to Konigsberg that the car was hopeless but would probably be transformed with a rear wing....

Clarkson gave short shrift to the Mac so maybe it's a UK thang!
Dunno RIC, but perhaps it has something to do with ego and a reluctance to admit that just maybe it was driver error? After all, being a retired racer that can drift a car puts him in a very exclusive company, or rather is it his ability to ham it up for a camera that makes him deity-like? ;)

Either way, as Krzys says, it's not personal and I couldn't care much less about any effect on resale. I simply like making fun of Sniff because anybody that was paying attention will have seen that he followed up his 5th G review with a barrage of whining about McLaren when his own fans had the audacity to question his objectiveness and integrity. Even as subsequent drives by the Stig, Chris Harris and others were being posted - showing the car to be quite capable and even amenable to skids for those so inclined - he couldn't stop regurgitating pablum in his effort to uphold his own image and/or condemn McLaren, indeed perhaps the latter for the former.

I noticed in this ecoty vid (okay, so I finally watched it!) that he says that McLaren has definitely "calmed down the chassis", since his first drive. Would love to know which update that was? Perhaps it was one of the interim ones like 8.65 or 9.4? I don't remember it, was it a UK patch only? :confused: So confused. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I want you all to remember which car Harry Metcalfe owns.
Aside from this, the Huayra is a true beast.
And no one knows its full potential.
Guess what we've seen till now is just the top of the iceberg.

Someone stated P1 would demolish it.
I wouldn't be so convinced...

... ;-)

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
This!! and the early cars will carry the stigma,even though they are being equally upgraded the trade will use every excuse :mad:
Andy, you need to get your VIN changed. Robbie will sort it:D

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
This!! and the early cars will carry the stigma,even though they are being equally upgraded the trade will use every excuse :mad:
Andy, you need to get your VIN changed. Robbie will sort it:D

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I want you all to remember which car Harry Metcalfe owns.
Aside from this, the Huayra is a true beast.
And no one knows its full potential.
Guess what we've seen till now is just the top of the iceberg.

Someone stated P1 would demolish it.
I wouldn't be so convinced...

... ;-)
Carbo,you are right about Mr Metcalfe !! But even though i didnt state it,the P1 will annilate the Huayra,forget the difference between mclaren and marussia,the difference will be like F1 and formula 3,on a completely different planet :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
It is quite obvious, that both P1 and "F70" will be on another planet in comparison to Huayra.

But Huayra still is amazing, more work of art than car with all that attention to detail and yet with huge performance, this all despite coming from such a small company.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Yes it is a work of art. The interior is almost detailed like Dan Dares Spaceship, well I'm sure it is Dan Dares Spaceship..........Ron could not believe it is a car!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Maybe its just my opinion Max,im assuming then that you agreed with everything they said ,and couldnt wait to get your hands on your deathtrap :confused: If i believed everything i would have binned my deposit and walked away.Yes they are great drivers,but also self promoting to their own ends,and i think most people in the know agree it backfired on them.
I already had my 12c in possession when the fifth gear episode aired, and it wouldn't have changed my attitude towards it. I love my car, but still I feel like I didn't get anything in return for being an early adopter but little and major problems. We didn't get as much choice of trim and had to return to the shop for "upgrades" that are guided by economics and not customer satisfaction. I think that for the first say 500 cars every possible alteration and option should at least be offered at a reasonable cost, Mclaren nor the dealers should make any profit on those options. I feel the first customers are not being treated well. What say, Dalziel.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I already had my 12c in possession when the fifth gear episode aired, and it wouldn't have changed my attitude towards it. I love my car, but still I feel like I didn't get anything in return for being an early adopter but little and major problems. We didn't get as much choice of trim and had to return to the shop for "upgrades" that are guided by economics and not customer satisfaction. I think that for the first say 500 cars every possible alteration and option should at least be offered at a reasonable cost, Mclaren nor the dealers should make any profit on those options. I feel the first customers are not being treated well. What say, Dalziel.
I agree it didnt change my attitude either,i just thought it was not a fair judge of the car and damaged it in its infancy,which i thought was unjust.As regarding being a first adopter of a companies first major car,were we all being a little naive on what we would get?? I got a car that no-body else had,a car that i had waited for several years and in reality like you i am more than happy,all told i think i have had no more problems with it than i would have had with any new production car (the satnav was never an issue to me).
If the list of trim and options had been as big a year ago,then i think we would have had to wait another 6 months for the car?,im sure any new buisness wants to expand its choice and range asap and how would you impliment that on a non profit basis,i like the idea,have you suggested it ???,in comparison what about the cut off line for the 7 year warrenty for ferrari before you had to pay is that not worse for their early adopters?.Im not sure the upgrades were guided by economics because there are plenty of examples of manufacturers not getting it right straight away and then taking their time to rectify the promblem and even saying that there isnt a problem !!
Generally from the people i speak to in the UK,they have been treated well,probably because they are nearest to the source (sorry Robbie) and we are not the majority on this forum,just by percentage the most verbal,as ive said before every owner has an opinion via questionares sent out by mclaren and many of those refinements were requested by majority by those owners ,most of which the members of this forum didnt agree with(such as the loss of the touch sensitive doors) So to recap,our opinions are listened to Max,but are obviously not always the ones that will prevail.If you wish to request such a scheme for non-profit items i will gladly back you :)

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
hell no andy somebody will have to pay the price and I ain't subsidizing your triple cross hatch golden stitching and quilted seats!! :D
quite happy with my 25 extra HP coming tomorrow and I've been treated just fine by my dealer and also by the mothership, even though I'm a plane ride and a dog sled trip away, so if you guys want all the MSO adornments, then cough up MSO green for them! :):)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
hell no andy somebody will have to pay the price and I ain't subsidizing your triple cross hatch golden stitching and quilted seats!! :D
quite happy with my 25 extra HP coming tomorrow and I've been treated just fine by my dealer and also by the mothership, even though I'm a plane ride and a dog sled trip away, so if you guys want all the MSO adornments, then cough up MSO green for them! :):)
I hope you have time to give me a precise update on the upgrade as im leaving on friday morning for our holidays and it will be good to have something to look forward to on my return as mine is also going in tomorrow,ps has anyone had any problems with the plastic stone deflectors coming loose,a case of stronger glue i suspect ?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I hope you have time to give me a precise update on the upgrade as im leaving on friday morning for our holidays and it will be good to have something to look forward to on my return as mine is also going in tomorrow,ps has anyone had any problems with the plastic stone deflectors coming loose,a case of stronger glue i suspect ?
I have had trouble with the stone collectors by the turning vanes. Probably have 5ib of stones in there but Mclaren service say they will remove them for free and repave the M25. Can't believe the collection which needs update 10 to maintain performance.

All the deflectors long since defected.Gone, vamoose.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Provided my car is returned tomorrow without a hitch, you'll get the play by play deets on this very forum, good sir! Stay tuned! Has my beloved Pre-Cog been toasted or not... I can hardly stand the anticipation! :D

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I have had trouble with the stone collectors by the turning vanes. Probably have 5ib of stones in there but Mclaren service say they will remove them for free and repave the M25. Can't believe the collection which needs update 10 to maintain performance.

All the deflectors long since defected.Gone, vamoose.
You really need to stop driving in the gutters RIC,i get the odd stone,but youve seen where i drive,im sure your roads cannot be any worse ?? :confused:

·
Registered
862 Posts
What do we all think about the absence of the 458 Spyder in the test? I was kinda expecting that to win this year. The magazine article goes on to state that they got a message from Maranello saying that there were insufficient cars available to support a test and evo did not have time to source a customer car.

Thoughts/questions ... Insufficient cars available? How many do they need? Or should this have been insufficient juiced cars available? Does the press car weight loss program not work so well on the Spyder? Customer car .... really not available in time? Or Fezza still do not allow it?

Or maybe Harry just ****ed Fezza off with his moaning about the FF test drive (or lack of) and they are making a point?

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
What do we all think about the absence of the 458 Spyder in the test? I was kinda expecting that to win this year. The magazine article goes on to state that they got a message from Maranello saying that there were insufficient cars available to support a test and evo did not have time to source a customer car.

Thoughts/questions ... Insufficient cars available? How many do they need? Or should this have been insufficient juiced cars available? Does the press car weight loss program not work so well on the Spyder? Customer car .... really not available in time? Or Fezza still do not allow it?

Or maybe Harry just ****ed Fezza off with his moaning about the FF test drive (or lack of) and they are making a point?
i think all of the above... am also surprised that it wasn't in there... can't wait to see the first head to head between the two now..

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Would you have trusted the performance if a Fezza had been there?

It is less complicated that it was absent and reduced the endless posts on the spec of the Fezza.....blah blah

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Would you have trusted the performance if a Fezza had been there?

It is less complicated that it was absent and reduced the endless posts on the spec of the Fezza.....blah blah
Yes good point indeed. As I have no doubt the 458 spider will be worse dynamically than my coupe I would rubbish anything that said it was better in that dept. it does beg the question whether we will actually see the head to head though as there is little you can do about the compromises in a spider without carbon tub.

41 - 60 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.