McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Agreed. I saw the same and was confused as to how nonchalantly he made that reference point.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Some of the comments are facile (prefer R8 to 458/12C etc). But amongst the audience, can't disagree with the 991 GT3 as winner. Looking forward to getting mine in 4 weeks :)

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Some of the comments are facile (prefer R8 to 458/12C etc). But amongst the audience, can't disagree with the 991 GT3 as winner. Looking forward to getting mine in 4 weeks :)
So let us know what you think Pete! Agree in that company wasn't going to be too close and they've never I think put a fezza ahead of a porker.

·
Registered
240 Posts
So let us know what you think Pete! Agree in that company wasn't going to be too close and they've never I think put a fezza ahead of a porker.
Will do. I think £ for £ its as good as it gets.

I've abandoned the arms race (P1, 918, Veyron etc) in favour of some superb but more modestly priced kit. It also means you can push it on a bit without worrying that you're going to have a £m+ moment...

·
Registered
824 Posts
Typical Evo reporting on the 458 Speciale.

Wax on ad nausea about how great it is and then in one sentence totally undermine all of the above:

“Strangely, the gains in simple performance terms don’t feel as great as I’d expected, but no matter.”

This is a full on, hard core, without compromise, stripped to the bone attempt to shame the 12C - whatever!

Full article here:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/291208/ferrari_458_speciale_review.html

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Typical Evo reporting on the 458 Speciale.

Wax on ad nausea about how great it is and then in one sentence totally undermine all of the above:

“Strangely, the gains in simple performance terms don’t feel as great as I’d expected, but no matter.”

This is a full on, hard core, without compromise, stripped to the bone attempt to shame the 12C - whatever!

Full article here:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/291208/ferrari_458_speciale_review.html

Thanks for that link. Interesting. I found this part of note:

How does it compare?

At £208,000, the Speciale costs more than a McLaren 12C – which with 616bhp from its twin-turbo V8 still manages to outgun the Ferrari. The Speciale is also around £30,000 more than the standard 458, and although that sounds like a lot, the difference in feel and overall composure is quite marked.

With a 1min 23.5sec lap time around Ferrari’s Fiorano test track, the Speciale is 1.5sec quicker than the standard 458, 0.5sec quicker than the 599 GTO and just 0.5sec slower than the £239,000 730bhp F12 Berlinetta. At 1.33 G, Ferrari is claiming the highest lateral acceleration of any of its road cars.
Im not sure what they mean by outgun. I suspect it's just on a HP basis. But curious on a side by side performance basis. I'd like to see the head to head with customer cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts