McLaren Life banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GOODWOOD, England (Reuters) - An electric Volkswagen has smashed a hillclimb record set by a McLaren Formula One car at the Goodwood Festival of Speed 20 years ago.
The Volkswagen ID.R sportscar, already the fastest electric car around the Nuerburgring circuit in Germany and quickest car of any kind up the Pikes Peak climb in Colorado, added another record in southern England on Friday.
With two-times Le Mans 24 Hours winner Romain Dumas at the wheel, the car clocked 41.18 seconds

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
It clocked 39.9 in practice

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Problem with this thing is, as cool as it is maybe to drive it and smash all kinds of records, but after 10 minutes driving you probably need to charge it for some hours ... or lets say at least some 20-30 minutes ...

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem with this thing is, as cool as it is maybe to drive it and smash all kinds of records, but after 10 minutes driving you probably need to charge it for some hours ... or lets say at least some 20-30 minutes ...
Yes. I read that the VW battery sizes (weight, energy) were chosen/designed for the record attempts.

On the path to full EV?. To work around the battery weight and charging issues I think that we will see an evolution in hybrid sports cars as the battery/capacitor technology improves. I suspect that hybrids will move from the present 70% ICE power, 30% Electric Power to 70% Electric Power, 30% ICE power. The rationale being that not much ICE power is required to maintain a speed of 80 MPH plus on a freeway — while electric power is better for acceleration and emissions.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"To celebrate MotorTrend's 70th Anniversary, the editorial staff put together an "Ultimate" Car of the Year story to determine the most significant vehicle of the past 70 years. The following are excerpts from a video interview of Tesla co-founder and CEO Elon Musk at Tesla's design studio, in Hawthorne, California."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts