McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had this alarm Cruise control fault? At the same time car was behaving strange. When manually shift down two gears it popped up in Neutral and when pushing the excelarator only then moved on. She also didn't want to break on the engine for some reason or another. Grrrr pi... Me off

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Thats a new one belg! ive never heard of the gearbox going into neutral,this only happens when you are using cruise?? Another electrical gremlin has raised its head,best get it checked out .

·
Owner
893 Posts
What company makes these components for McLaren ? It seems like the car's Vehicle Bus and Body Control Modules don't like each other very much.:D
This makes me glad I don't ever find the need use cruise control in a performance car.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't using it! Popped up when I left the office in Germany. When driving through Holland one can almost fall a sleep as there is quit some speeding control. I hate those gremlins....adds another one to my list when she goes in. So far
- Tpms issue
- Nav update
- this cruise control issue whith the gearbow behaving eratic
- Speakers cracking when using mobile phone
- alignment .. Notice left rear wheel is closer to the front than the right one.
- wobly feel in the steering wheel at higher speeds.
- closing of doors should be improved as slamming the doors all the time can't be the correct way

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I had the gearbox slip into neutral despite showing 4th gear still on the display once last year (pre update) when I was going along a fairly bumpy road at very low speeds. Gave me a bit of a shock I have to admit and I had to shift down to get the car back in gear. Not had an issue with the cruise control.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having so many teething problems. My car has been pretty solid with only a few odd issues that I don't worry too much about.

Among them, I also get crackling on the phone, as well as some amazing crack/pops when the radio is playing at very specific spots on my commute. It appears the radio is picking up some other radio signals for a second before rejecting them (or something like that). I find this fairly amusing since the radio (am in particular) can barely pickup a signal in Metro NY where the main stations are literally the largest AM transmitters in the world in order to service the population density and building-scape.

If you manage to solve your popping issue, I hope you will post the answer--there are likely others with the same issue.

Good luck with your list. I do hope the issues are resolved quickly. The car is really a pleasure to drive and mine has been very solid so far., I can't help but think that your issues might just be some poor luck in your case.

·
Registered
314 Posts
In my experience, cruise control systems don't play well with manuals. Not that the 12C shouldn't be able to handle 2 gears lower, but likely went to N to protect itself. Try it again, see if its reproducible.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday morning when I left I tried the cruise control and it was working again -disengage cruise - 2 gears downshift and that worked as well. Starting to believe that closing the car really resets the systems.
It really wasn't a plesant experience driving at 180kmh(110mph) and suddenly the car pops in Neutral. It tooks seconds before engaging again. Never experienced this before

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a strange experience. I don't know whether any of you ever experienced a Wartburg or Barkas. These old 2-strokes were fun to drive. You could go from 4th to 3rd gear and the car kept rolling till you pushed the accelarator. Although similar feeling ... the MC should not be compared with a Wartburg:)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had a long trip today of 800km with the mc. All alarm again pupping up. Cruise control fault.. Jumped into neutral again a couple of times. After the tire fuel up I also had an engine light on the right side of the dash. No idea what it means but the pic of an engine shows in the dash. The trip was combined with spirited driving with tops of 279kmh . Longer straigths 250 constantly ... Would the engine have a problem with it?

·
Owner
893 Posts
Belg,
If you have the engine warning lamp on.... you should not drive the car until the dealer checks it out. You could possibly damage something.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: Yesterday a flatbed picked up the Mc. When putting it on the truck the engine was really not sounding normal. Does of you guys ever had that engine light come up? What was wrong with the car in the end. I tried to get a hold of the shop but they were in training all day so still don't know what's wrong.
I do hope she comes back safe and all other thingies are solved as well.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there any clever guy here. Mclaren answers that the problem with the car are coming from running with different tires. I bought HRE 's with 245/30/20 and 335/25/20 Michelin PSS. The tire is fantastic and the handling impressive.
Because I changed the tires this has caused damages to the gearbox and the warranty on the car is cancelled.
Is al this possible?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Is there any clever guy here. Mclaren answers that the problem with the car are coming from running with different tires. I bought HRE 's with 245/30/20 and 335/25/20 Michelin PSS. The tire is fantastic and the handling impressive.
Because I changed the tires this has caused damages to the gearbox and the warranty on the car is cancelled.
Is al this possible?
I hope not Belg,but we were debating this on another thread,and Mclaren have stated that the only tyre to use for warrenty reason is the M1 Pirelli,if the rolling radius is different on your current tyres then they have a get out clause,but surely the tyre shop will have advised you.It seems plenty of guys in the states have swapped wheels and tyres,but yours is the first one i know of that has had a problem,i wish you luck!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it was wheelsboutique who sold me this package. the only thing I had to take care of was swapping the TPMS sensors.
I had issues the car has jumped into neutral and last saturday the engine trouble light popped up. That's it. They are also writing the ABS system is calculating wrongly ( never had any ABS alarms!!) As per consequence the car goes into limp mode (it didnt do that) and caused damages to the gearbox.
Not rather MC sticking their heads into the sand?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
it was wheelsboutique who sold me this package. the only thing I had to take care of was swapping the TPMS sensors.
I had issues the car has jumped into neutral and last saturday the engine trouble light popped up. That's it. They are also writing the ABS system is calculating wrongly ( never had any ABS alarms!!) As per consequence the car goes into limp mode (it didnt do that) and caused damages to the gearbox.
Not rather MC sticking their heads into the sand?
Could be an unrelated problem ?,but i had a porsche warrenty cancelled when i put genuine GT2 brakes on a standard turbo many years ago,they said it was out of spec even though they were porsche parts,I had no problems but had to put it back to keep the warrenty!
I hope they are fair to you,but it will be in the small print,lets hope they go some way to keep a good customer,we all know they are hard to come by !

·
Owner
893 Posts
Belg,
When you change tire/wheel sizes, ratios, aspects etc. the car's computer is now receiving countermanding orders and starts doing very weird things. It's confused by the new signals that it's receiving from sensors. It can apply the brakes unnecessarily or make errant traction control decisions in an attempt to correct these anomalies. That's why the manufacturers tell you that they can deny your warranty if you (by your actions) alter the car's vehicle dynamics.
I hope McLaren will show some pity on you ..... lord knows, they are not perfect.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the total diameter vs stocks isn't that far of it's impossible that this sould cause damages to the gearbxo. If the front's diam increased and the rear's diameter didn't increase equally it pight the abs system has trouble calculating I understand but that should not cause the gearbox to brake down.
The diam changed only 9mm and comparable to a used or new tire. On top I only did about 1500km ~ 990 miles with these tires on. Somebody's putting his head in the sand. It seems I wouldn't be the first one with a broken gearbox and they are looking for a way out.
I'm getting pretty sick of this car this way and it won't last long in my stable. It's far too experimental and fragile.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Yeah, I find it pretty absurd that would cause gearbox damage. Aftermarket wheels and tires are one of the most common things done to exotics cars. The car should have a lot more than fine print if something as serious as damage to the gearbox can occur with such a change. If word got out that such a minor change to wheels on an exotic could cause serious damage, that car would probably be lambasted on all the forums and press.

If the difference is as you say, a mere 9mm, that makes it even more absurd. As you said, something like general wear and different pressures could make a change in rolling radius.

I they haven't already flagged the car or voided the warranty at your current shop, you should swap your wheels/tires to stock and ship it elsewhere. It might be a pain in the ass, but worth it if they are giving you such a hard time.

BTW, what are the specs of the other stock wheel styles as well as snow tires? Are they all exactly the same?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts