McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for random drives to nowhere today. Hoping maybe to stop by a shop with helmets (all closed by 1PM, bummer) and got some cool new nike flynit sneakers (basically socks for outside).

Anyway, lot of driving adventures. Everywhere I stopped there were smiling faces and folks wanting to talk car stuff, and that was great. There were people that would try to tag along for a bit, which was fun and good natured as well. Some even following/stopping with me at stores I would run out to. Lots of at conversations at lights. Drove my 13 yr old nephew and 5 yr old niece at ludicrous speed to squeals of delight.

But the driving. The hellfire missile like way this thing goes. Does anyone else ever just go so fast, so quickly, that you just get this gut ache that the world is coming to an end all around you as you just missile through it?!? It's insane. Going 140 is nothing for this car (it's a ruthless bug killer).

On highways I feel like that mario andretti honda/2seat commercial where everything is slow motion to me, but I know everyone else sees me as going some outrageous speed.

And then the turn in. I cannot fathom how hitting turns at 100+ is just so easy. It defies the laws of physics. The more you hit them well, the more you get this warm feeling of gooey goodness inside.

This car makes me want to take a bunch of months off and just drive cross country and then probably hang a left and drive right to rio. :)

Hoping all you guys had some epic runs yourself. It was a good day - ice cube. ;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
The real scary thing is how it does it without trying! On my drive home there is a straight with no junctions. If nothing is about, and I nail it from the start, it'll reach 135 before I have to brake. To put some perspective on it, the highest I saw in my V10 R8 was 110. By the way, the road's a "Country Lane" not a highway! To those guys over the pond that have been to England, you know what they're like ;-)
Awesome machine!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Awesome.

I love to read these great impressions. What a great car. It transcends 'car' it's an extension of your mind with a temporary hall pass to the laws of physics it seems.

Fine job.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I went for random drives to nowhere today. Hoping maybe to stop by a shop with helmets (all closed by 1PM, bummer) and got some cool new nike flynit sneakers (basically socks for outside).

Anyway, lot of driving adventures. Everywhere I stopped there were smiling faces and folks wanting to talk car stuff, and that was great. There were people that would try to tag along for a bit, which was fun and good natured as well. Some even following/stopping with me at stores I would run out to. Lots of at conversations at lights. Drove my 13 yr old nephew and 5 yr old niece at ludicrous speed to squeals of delight.

But the driving. The hellfire missile like way this thing goes. Does anyone else ever just go so fast, so quickly, that you just get this gut ache that the world is coming to an end all around you as you just missile through it?!? It's insane. Going 140 is nothing for this car (it's a ruthless bug killer).

On highways I feel like that mario andretti honda/2seat commercial where everything is slow motion to me, but I know everyone else sees me as going some outrageous speed.

And then the turn in. I cannot fathom how hitting turns at 100+ is just so easy. It defies the laws of physics. The more you hit them well, the more you get this warm feeling of gooey goodness inside.

This car makes me want to take a bunch of months off and just drive cross country and then probably hang a left and drive right to rio. :)

Hoping all you guys had some epic runs yourself. It was a good day - ice cube. ;)
Great write up John. Love it! Love your enthusiasm. !

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Man I hope I am able to start threads like this in the next 12-18 months!!! Even if it's me in a P13 and not a 12c. Threads like this are the reason I want my next "toy" to be from McLaren.

Having been on some nice country lanes in the UK while in a giant bus, I can relate to the experience if I fast-forward my memory by a factor of 10 or so. :D

-nh4.

·
Registered
218 Posts
came from my sunday morning drive with the MP4. i always get out of this car saying "i need to use this car more often". it's damn good. i love that it's fast, agile, yet so comfortable inside almost like a GT. we have terrible roads here so having a compliant ride over harsh road is actually a means to go faster and nothing goes better than the MP4.

fantastic car is all i can say... the way the car is packaged is simply amazing.

i'm wondering if the new Ferrari F12 can bring the same package: fast, agile and comfortable? i'm not comparing it with its direct rival the 458 because clearly that prancing donkey is SO MUCH slower than the MP4 hence not even in my consideration.

·
Registered
310 Posts

In actual fact, this is cooler than I thought ;-) What's your favourite bit? Obviously all in "Leptons" PH (LPH) ;-)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those country roads look amazing. Was on some roads like that in germany (minus the tall grass) and was really missing my car. This car kind of ruins you that way. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts