McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all.

Now i have had my new spider for nearly 1month and a half and all has been ok except yesterday i had the following happen after driving modestly for 20mins and parking for 40minutes :

- started engine as usual and then the harsh warning alarm starts beeping - i don't remember clearly the message but i am sure it said 'engine oil issue. see service/dealer or something'

* as with all these cars i figure switch off, wait a minute, then restart

Did the above and no alarm or message. I then scrolled through the 'vehicle info' left hand screen and messages to check the 'error messages' but nothing. I then check 'oil status' and as when i have checked it a couple of times before it says ' conditions not met. See owners manual'

So i forget to check. Anyway the next day i drive out and again for 20~30minutes. Park up for 1hour 30minutes and then return to car and start as usual. The same warning sound and message about 'oil' something or other came up ...... again i read it but can't remember as the damned left screen keeps flicking different messages - but NOT the oil message after the first showing.

So this time i check the manual and it has NO messages regards to oil BUT i decide to check the OIL status as recommended on page 150 ( am checking a book: owners handbook - is it the same as owners manual?? i can't find the owners manual ) :

- even level. Neutral
- rev at 2,000rpm for 20 seconds

now at the same time being on the 'oil status' screen - nothing happens - it just continues to say ' conditions not met. See owners manual ' ........ that message won't go

So now i'm stuck with what is it? I can't see whats happening with the oil as the above message won't go. The oil bar is on half (gray) when testing now whilst still warm

Jinxed. My worry is that i have had OIL issues on my previous Lamborghini spider and 458 - with the lambo issue resulting in having to have lamborghini replace the engine - but the car had oil issues from within the first few 100kms ....

Saying i am somewhat fed up / concerned is a good call ...... i just was not expecting the Mclaren to be heading back with Oil troubles at under 2 months old and only 1,258kms and after a 1 year wait ..... but from my recent experience is that OIL issues at the beginning lead to worse OIL issues during the life of the car

Has anyone had theses messages? Has anyone had the same issue?

I really don't want the car disappearing off to the dealers for a spell of time after waiting so long .... and especially as i can't figure what it is myself firstly

Thanks

·
Owner
893 Posts
G'day all.

Now i have had my new spider for nearly 1month and a half and all has been ok except yesterday i had the following happen after driving modestly for 20mins and parking for 40minutes :

- started engine as usual and then the harsh warning alarm starts beeping - i don't remember clearly the message but i am sure it said 'engine oil issue. see service/dealer or something'

* as with all these cars i figure switch off, wait a minute, then restart

Did the above and no alarm or message. I then scrolled through the 'vehicle info' left hand screen and messages to check the 'error messages' but nothing. I then check 'oil status' and as when i have checked it a couple of times before it says ' conditions not met. See owners manual'

So i forget to check. Anyway the next day i drive out and again for 20~30minutes. Park up for 1hour 30minutes and then return to car and start as usual. The same warning sound and message about 'oil' something or other came up ...... again i read it but can't remember as the damned left screen keeps flicking different messages - but NOT the oil message after the first showing.

So this time i check the manual and it has NO messages regards to oil BUT i decide to check the OIL status as recommended on page 150 ( am checking a book: owners handbook - is it the same as owners manual?? i can't find the owners manual ) :

- even level. Neutral
- rev at 2,000rpm for 20 seconds

now at the same time being on the 'oil status' screen - nothing happens - it just continues to say ' conditions not met. See owners manual ' ........ that message won't go

So now i'm stuck with what is it? I can't see whats happening with the oil as the above message won't go. The oil bar is on half (gray) when testing now whilst still warm

Jinxed. My worry is that i have had OIL issues on my previous Lamborghini spider and 458 - with the lambo issue resulting in having to have lamborghini replace the engine - but the car had oil issues from within the first few 100kms ....

Saying i am somewhat fed up / concerned is a good call ...... i just was not expecting the Mclaren to be heading back with Oil troubles at under 2 months old and only 1,258kms and after a 1 year wait ..... but from my recent experience is that OIL issues at the beginning lead to worse OIL issues during the life of the car

Has anyone had theses messages? Has anyone had the same issue?

I really don't want the car disappearing off to the dealers for a spell of time after waiting so long .... and especially as i can't figure what it is myself firstly

Thanks
Hold down the brake pedal and keep it depressed, while you hold the revs @2000.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Am going to check that now

Am getting some what upset about this ....... if i could find the 'list of oil error messages' i could then remember what was on screen.

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok checked that and it says oil level normal - its about a quarter down from the green line

temperature was 97c

As i had the message two days in a row i now have concerns, no matter what the check says - i want to find what the OIL warning messages are and then can pinpoint what i saw ....

Is there a list of the OIL warning messages anywhere - the owners handbook i have lists not one single OIL message

Thanks

·
Owner
893 Posts
ok checked that and it says oil level normal - its about a quarter down from the green line

temperature was 97c

As i had the message two days in a row i now have concerns, no matter what the check says - i want to find what the OIL warning messages are and then can pinpoint what i saw ....

Is there a list of the OIL warning messages anywhere - the owners handbook i have lists not one single OIL message

Thanks
Noe,
I don't see any oil message list in the manual either. Have your dealer take a look at the reason why you are getting these warnings. I don't like the electronic checking of oil; I'd much rather look at the oil level on the dipstick right in front of my own eyes !! I'm old fashioned.;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for that. Yes its bizarre - not one single mention of oil errors - so yes its dealer contact time and asking them for what message it was i saw

Agree on the dipstick ......... noting a prior Lotus owner too ........ they generally were / are an easy car for checking yourself

Hope nothing to serious but from my history i really have been bitten by the oil issues before ....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Noe, definitely take it to the dealer. There is a chance you can have a faulty oil/temp sensor or something (hopefully) minor like that.

I've had weird electronic ghost warnings in the 12C, but also in merc's, vettes, audi's... pretty much any modern car. There are so many electronic systems, and all it takes is for some electronics to turn on and initialize improperly and they send falses.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Low Oil Pressure

Had the same issue on my '13 Spider after 1200 miles. Happened on a warm start after a drive. Shut off, restarted, same problem. Locked car, restarted and no message. Was able to check the oil level, normal, drove home. Miller In Greenwich picked up the car next day. Tech did a complete check, no oil pressure problem, a faulty switch. This is a known issue with the problem being a bad oil pressure switch. There is a kit modification which resolves the problem. Your dealer should have the kit. Miller has seen this on several of their cars. Car returned, all good. Yes a bit alarming at the time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Mike

Thats sounds exactly it. Dealer here just called and said it maybe as i have had it parked a week+ without moving and oil temp did rise enough as very short drives ...... apparently several owners here in Japan have complained on the same issue .... and same (told) that the cars sat for a week+

If its the fix above needed then they didn't offer it as yet - my guess is likely they don't know about it either yet as so few on the roads here so far.......

If it comes up again for me then i'll tell them what the issue is as per above - a little odd doing that way around but there you go !

Worry management taking effect with good result

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
OPS Rework Kit, part number 1211F1389CP. Dealer also said on the dash there are several messages that could appear if there were issues: oil temp, oil level, oil pressure. Said they have never seen a Mac with a real low oil pressure problem.

Also did the V12.0 update while they had the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had the same issue on my '13 Spider after 1200 miles. Happened on a warm start after a drive. Shut off, restarted, same problem. Locked car, restarted and no message. Was able to check the oil level, normal, drove home. Miller In Greenwich picked up the car next day. Tech did a complete check, no oil pressure problem, a faulty switch. This is a known issue with the problem being a bad oil pressure switch. There is a kit modification which resolves the problem. Your dealer should have the kit. Miller has seen this on several of their cars. Car returned, all good. Yes a bit alarming at the time.
Had the same issue as well, beeping sounds with a warning saying engine oil pressure low. Took it to dealer and a faulty switch is due to be replaced tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts