McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really good to see so many 12c owners giving their cars the thrashing they deserve. Mclaren claim the 12c to be a high performance car to be used everyday, not pampered garage candy. If so, how long do they expect the engine to last and how does this compare to a 458 or an R8 for example?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
WAY WAY too early to speculate.

But You could look at it this way...What kind of warranty/power train warranty does the McLaren offer? That might give us an idea.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
It is so detuned it would be designed for 200,000 miles without much work.

Most performance car manufacturers will sell a warranties to 120,000 miles.

Modern oils prevent wear.......bike magazine measured the wear on some superbikes, at 80,000 miles, that rev to 15,000 and found less than 2 thou wear with synthetic oils used.

The Turbo's are low pressure but spin up to high revs so they must have a service life.

But I know didly squat.......just guessing.

As for the Fezza it is sooooo detuned it will last forever. The Audi will fall to bits before the engine breaks.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Warranty is 3 years, unlimited mileage. Ask us again in a year.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
As RIC says the engine is de-tuned,this engine has been run for a length of time at 10,500 rpm,so the internals are designed for it,which is very impressive for a turbo engine compared to others on the market.
But we will have to wait and see:)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Damn... I was hoping McLaren would match Ferrari's 7 year maintenance and warranty program.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Damn... I was hoping McLaren would match Ferrari's 7 year maintenance and warranty program.
I think we know that was a reaction to a real competitor in the market,and from what i hear the maintenance programme has been added to the sticker price anyway,but the warranty would be welcome.
Mclaren did react a bit as it was initally going to be a 2 year warranty,like porsche (not sure if thats changed now):eek:

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
For a new/unproven platform, the 3-years/unlimited-miles warranty is gold if you ask me. I believe many, if any or all, major & notable problems/issues/failures will manifest during that time period on a properly & well driven MP4-12C.

FWIW, I'm not fully versed w/ the Ferrari 7-year service/maintenance program. Personally speaking, I believe there plausibly would be more to it than meets the eye w/ regards to consumables, wear-&-tear, replacement/repairs (based on similar service/maintenance programs & warranties by other manufacturers). Point being, shop invoices get padded, one way or another, even w/ routine service/maintenance. A gasket or seal here, a sensor or relay there. Part(s) being less than a c-note, but at least grand if not many in labor, exclusive to the service/maintenance agreement. Fluids, filters, inspections are a pittance & kinda/sorta not really all that much of a "freebie" that people make them out to be. Woo-hoo, lookie I got free wipers & they topped off my coolant! Oh wait, I owe $2,500 for the leaking valve-cover gasket & cam seal...

I'd prefer to have a solid, well designed/engineered offering out-of-the-box w/ respectable reliability/dependability sans inclusive maintenance/service plan, rather than marginal or questionable build-quality yet coming w/ an inclusive maintenance/service plan.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
For a new/unproven platform, the 3-years/unlimited-miles warranty is gold if you ask me. I believe many, if any or all, major & notable problems/issues/failures will manifest during that time period on a properly & well driven MP4-12C.

FWIW, I'm not fully versed w/ the Ferrari 7-year service/maintenance program. Personally speaking, I believe there plausibly would be more to it than meets the eye w/ regards to consumables, wear-&-tear, replacement/repairs (based on similar service/maintenance programs & warranties by other manufacturers). Point being, shop invoices get padded, one way or another, even w/ routine service/maintenance. A gasket or seal here, a sensor or relay there. Part(s) being less than a c-note, but at least grand if not many in labor, exclusive to the service/maintenance agreement. Fluids, filters, inspections are a pittance & kinda/sorta not really all that much of a "freebie" that people make them out to be. Woo-hoo, lookie I got free wipers & they topped off my coolant! Oh wait, I owe $2,500 for the leaking valve-cover gasket & cam seal...

I'd prefer to have a solid, well designed/engineered offering out-of-the-box w/ respectable reliability/dependability sans inclusive maintenance/service plan, rather than marginal or questionable build-quality yet coming w/ an inclusive maintenance/service plan.
Very good point,especially when you watch them building the engines at the ricardo plant,instills nothing but confidence for me

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I think we know that was a reaction to a real competitor in the market,and from what i hear the maintenance programme has been added to the sticker price anyway,but the warranty would be welcome.
Mclaren did react a bit as it was initally going to be a 2 year warranty,like porsche (not sure if thats changed now):eek:
Porsches are 4yr/50,000 warranty;):D

·
Administrator
2,750 Posts
It is so detuned it would be designed for 200,000 miles without much work.

Most performance car manufacturers will sell a warranties to 120,000 miles.

Modern oils prevent wear.......bike magazine measured the wear on some superbikes, at 80,000 miles, that rev to 15,000 and found less than 2 thou wear with synthetic oils used.

The Turbo's are low pressure but spin up to high revs so they must have a service life.

But I know didly squat.......just guessing.

As for the Fezza it is sooooo detuned it will last forever. The Audi will fall to bits before the engine breaks.
+1, I would expect a minimum of 120k miles out of it before needing work.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well the encouraging news is that we are all talking about how many miles we can put on the car before the 12C requires an engine rebuild......A topic you prolly won't see on the Fiat's site!!

BTW, we had a similar thread on the NSX site a couple of years ago. Guys were posting with mileage in the 150K - 275K range!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Well the encouraging news is that we are all talking about how many miles we can put on the car before the 12C requires an engine rebuild......A topic you prolly won't see on the Fiat's site!!

BTW, we had a similar thread on the NSX site a couple of years ago. Guys were posting with mileage in the 150K - 275K range!
That NSX was ahead of it's time.......was a game changer;).......luv'd that car wish I had the means then. Most fav model yr was the original with the pop up headlamps. Looked the cleanest design ESP in red or black with the tan buckets......what a car that was

·
Registered
147 Posts
How are the service costs so far? I was very pleasantly surprised when I took my Vantage S in for its 1yr service so I'm hoping the McLaren is also not as horrible as the stories I hear from the F and L camps.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
How are the service costs so far? I was very pleasantly surprised when I took my Vantage S in for its 1yr service so I'm hoping the McLaren is also not as horrible as the stories I hear from the F and L camps.
More Aston and porsche costs than F ans L

·
Registered
983 Posts
The only thing costly so far on the 12C is gas! It's just too tempting to use all the horsies at your disposal, so I'm still averaging around 14-15mpg total. But when I get on it, I can burn through tanks of gas FAST. Goddamn I love this car.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
The only thing costly so far on the 12C is gas! It's just too tempting to use all the horsies at your disposal, so I'm still averaging around 14-15mpg total. But when I get on it, I can burn through tanks of gas FAST. Goddamn I love this car.
Too true,but you notice it more than other exotics because you are in it far more than you would be in those:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts