McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this in another thread, figured it deserved its own thread...

Can anyone explain this?? I tried Googling it and I could not find a single thing mentioning extra gears except that thread...

Why would they physically put extra gears in that aren't being used? Quite frankly, my mind is blown by this...I need more info :eek:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mmmmhhhhhh.......... am I the only one who thinks photo shop? at 319 we would see 9th gear.....lol

I agree - after all, this is the Internet, so it gotta be true!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
A Mclaren Tech, who attended the NurBurgRing event, said it was there to drop revs and emissions over 300 kph and would likely be formally used to meet the 2015 Euro emission regs in future gearbox software updates.

He said the extra weight of the cog was practically irrelevant but Mclaren would get captured by the regulations as they became a 'volume' producer and subject to fines if they missed the emission targets.

Remember, in the USA, the 12C is in the low emission category........how it got that tag beats me!

·
Registered
715 Posts
A Mclaren Tech, who attended the NurBurgRing event, said it was there to drop revs and emissions over 300 kph and would likely be formally used to meet the 2015 Euro emission regs in future gearbox software updates.

He said the extra weight of the cog was practically irrelevant but Mclaren would get captured by the regulations as they became a 'volume' producer and subject to fines if they missed the emission targets.

Remember, in the USA, the 12C is in the low emission category........how it got that tag beats me!
So it's an Easter egg of sorts... Cool.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Sure, low emissions for those 185mph+ jaunts... Seems reasonable. :)

Remember that in Europe, Germany in particular and Italy by default, the motorways have no speed limit outside urban areas.

In Spain there are no people outside Madrid or Barcelona so it is presto the pedlo but in France it is big fines and low emissions.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Remember that in Europe, Germany in particular and Italy by default, the motorways have no speed limit outside urban areas.

In Spain there are no people outside Madrid or Barcelona so it is presto the pedlo but in France it is big fines and low emissions.
Sure, seems reasonable for all that 185mph+ through traffic on the autobahn clogging things up. That's a major contributor. Smart! ;)

I was driving round Munich last week, going only 220/30 and I can't tell you the number of people zooming past me at 300... Those dirty filthy polluters. :)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Sure, seems reasonable for all that 185mph+ through traffic on the autobahn clogging things up. That's a major contributor. Smart! ;)

I was driving round Munich last week, going only 220/30 and I can't tell you the number of people zooming past me at 300... Those dirty filthy polluters. :)

Hey, you were holding people up, pull over there:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
To be fair I was in some 5 series wagon rental with hamsters for an engine. Let me tell you, those hamsters were panting something fierce! :)

Talk about momentum driving. I feel qualified to pilot space craft for moon slingshots to build momentum, because that's pretty much what I had to do with the rental!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
To be fair I was in some 5 series wagon rental with hamsters for an engine. Let me tell you, those hamsters were panting something fierce! :)

Talk about momentum driving. I feel qualified to pilot space craft for moon slingshots to build momentum, because that's pretty much what I had to do with the rental!
It's incredible through isn't it... You drive these german cars anywhere else in the world and you think they're well engineered and then you see them on home turf going almost flat out all day and your realisation takes on another level.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Taking the gear ratios from here:

http://automotiveworldinfo.com/mclaren/2012-mclaren-mp4-12c-spec

(318 km/h is equal to 198 MPH)

198 MPH in 6ht is 7,500 RPM
198 MPH in 7th is 5,700 RPM

The picture shows 198 MPH @ 6400 RPM with an indicated 8th gear - that would mean 8th is between 6 and 7.

So the question to those that 'plop' 8th at 300 km/h - did that 8th come after 6th or 7th? Clearly, the gear ratio shown in that picture does not exist in published literature....... :eek:

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
I think you're on to something. In 2010 the Dodge Viper swapped 5th gear from a .75 to a .83 and shaved almost 10 seconds off their Ring time. Also picked up a little top end as well.

Gear ratio progressions from .9 to .8 to .7 make since. I read somewhere on here that someone saw the inside of the trans at the MTC and counted 9 gears. I'm betting one of those is 6.5 and probably 5.5. The car seems to be unbeatable in the 1st 4 gears, even to 5th. My guess is the other 1 (possibly 2) gear is for top end performance for meeting top speed and track specific targets (Ring times).

Helluva observation!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts