McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
We are looking to plan a get together for Sept 7th, 2013 somewhere in NJ.
We should meet early and have a nice scenic drive and have lunch somewhere and maybe find a nice track to track our vehicles. Anyone know of any nice place to track our cars? Not drag race, but just drive along a nice track to get to know our cars. And take some pictures with the cars and group.

Im down for anything. Lets see who can make it as well.
Or if you have any other dates you prefer. Summer is almost over so lets try to all get together and have some fun with our cars and company!
lc

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I am otherwise engaged on that date. I am running the spartan race at mountain creek. And Boston is in town. So I'm booked. Next time.
Walt, what days are good for you? As well as all other members. Maybe if we all list days we are free. And plan something on the most available date for all? That would be great.
lc

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm in. So I've been doing a little research and have some brainstorming ideas...let's see what you guys think.

(1) I think it would be good if we could have between 2-4 track days a year as a group somewhere. The Nuremberg trip looked epic, and I'm horribly jealous. I figure we can start with one, but if things go nicely, then heck, who knows.

(2) It would be great to maybe also have a kind of "hangout" night, maybe once a month or every other month, where we pic some spot to eat (some different place perhaps) and take some cool road to get there and talk cars and have fun. Cool little app "The Ultimate Drive" seems like a nice app to help us coordinate/plan some nice drives. Also, maybe every other or third month we could participate in some "car day" event. For example, every Friday on Main Street in Somerville, there is a "car day," I believe, and they have a good number of nice restaurants there as well.

Sommerville car day spot:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=wasabi+somerville+nj&ll=40.567878,-74.610901&spn=0.001722,0.001556&client=safari&fb=1&gl=us&hq=wasabi+somerville+nj&cid=0,0,2551298784352156072&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.568022,-74.611218&panoid=wY8kKLi4Oa539Jkqaa2iJw&cbp=12,336.58,,0,2.95

Ultimate Drive App:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ultimate-drive-discover-roads/id453940086?mt=8

Well, if it's fun and we like it, perhaps those are good initial aspirational goals?

As for tracks, I know of 2 around the NYC/NJ metro area:

There is NJ Motersports park (which is fairly down south):
http://www.njmp.com/on-track-experiences.html
8000 Dividing Creek Rd., Millville, NJ 08332

Nice track. I believe the rates are around $500 for a day with instruction.

Montecello which is somewhat north:
http://www.monticellomotorclub.com
67 Cantrell Rd, Monticello, NY 12701

I hear it's a great place, but it's a private club and somewhat pricey. Although if we have enough members, we could use the member's guest passes to get folks in. Even without members, they will let anyone have up to 2 "Taste of Montecello" days at the the track. Goes for about $750 for half a day, and $1250 for a full day. Again, if we have some members, it could be significantly better. I'm considering joining myself.

Does anyone know of other good tracks?

Lastly, considering how close this weekend is, I suggest we just have an initial get together. Weather permitting. At some nice relatively centrally located place? I'd be up for the Pluckemin Inn, or perhaps just a Sonic Drive-In? I'm flexible.

Perhaps a really good question is what is "central" to all of us? My guess is that the kind of gravitational center mass is likely around northern NJ?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Wow man, you hit a couple of places near and dear to my heart there. In Somerville there's Verve. Ricky, the owner is an old friend of mine and a huge supporter of greater Somerville. I do believe that the car days end at Labor Day. I may be mistaken though as fall is great weather for cars.

The Pluckemin Inn is a fabulous place. Can't beat it. The staff is wonderful and Brian the sommelier is outstanding. He's gotten me some massively wonderful wines and great times at the wine dinners. I'm a scotch guy but it really doesn't go well with most foods. We used to live right by the plucky. Actually both my house and the restaurant were being redone at the same time. So we bonded over construction snafus. I'll be into either place. I live way up north now, actually a former summer home that we made permanent. But I'd love to go down to Somerset county, especially if we can show with a bunch of Macs.

I'm on holiday now down the shore. But a look at my calendar shows the 14th to be open, the next weekend is Mo's retirement then I'm off to Oktoberfest on the 27th.

I hold out hope!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm good for the 14th. Calvin, if you're good with that, we've got like 3 out of 5 for consensus! :)

I'm also cool to do it both weekends. I want to squeeze the last of summer out! ☺

I haven't been to the Verve but looks/sounds good. Not sure where Calvin/others are around NJ. Barring it being far out of the way, sounds like Sommerville's as good a starting point as any!

I love Wasabi there, btw. Lots of good stuff around there. I'm also up for the Pluck. Or for pure crap too. Calvin, any preferences. Anyway, maybe we take some of the logistics off to email land and then come back with a be-there-or-be-square agenda?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
john, wife says im good for both days. Lets see who else can make it on either or both days.
Maybe the 7th we just meetup for s short drive somewhere (C= and maybe some lunch or dinner. Track days we will really need to plan out for a bunch of us.
I am usually free on saturdays. And some Wednesdays as well.
Lets get this show on the road (C=
lc

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hey Calvin. So looks like my IRIS will be fixed and I'll have the car for tomorrow. Hooray! :)

So I figure we could do something simple tomorrow.

Meet at the Starbucks at Bethel Road. (4 Mt Bethel Rd, Warren, NJ)

Take the Rt 78/Millburn route to Pluckemin. Maybe 10minute drive.

Have lunch at Pluckemin (359 US 206, Bedminister Township, NJ, 908-658-9292)

Maybe meet around 11AM, get there for a early lunch.

Not sure who's up for it, everyone is welcome of course. But if we get more than 4, I'll try to lock in a reservation at the Pluck. Might be just you and me Calvin, which is cool, or we could always reschedule for next week, if we pushed this out a touch too close to the date.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts