McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put my car on the dyna to know what actual power she brings but it doesn't work. The shop told me this is due because traction control cannot be completely put off.

How do you guys do it then?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I've put my car on the dyna to know what actual power she brings but it doesn't work. The shop told me this is due because traction control cannot be completely put off.

How do you guys do it then?
The ESC can be completely turned off,but I don't think the traction control can as this operates the brake steer.To turn off the esc,put everthing into track,then hold down the active button for five seconds,you will then get a message CONFIRM ESC OFF.But I guess you already knew this.:)

·
Registered
914 Posts
you have to put the car on an AWD dyno and link the rollers.... this way the front wheels on the MP4 are spinning and the car will dyno properly...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Start engine (only to get default settings) foot on brake
Track/track
Hold active for five seconds
When you get the esc off message, it's the first of two such messages. Then hold two buttons down simultaneously, aero and manual. Wait for a second message, and you're ready. This works for fully updated cars, I've seen it demo'd.
Manual pg 97-98

How by the way can we expect a car without a locking diff to behave with ESC completely off? Evil is my guess.

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Track/track
When you get the esc off message, it's the first of two such messages. Then hold two buttons down simultaneously, aero and manual. Wait for a second message, and you're ready. This works for fully updated cars, I've seen it demo'd.
Manual pg 97-98

How by the way can we expect a car without a locking diff to behave with ESC completely off? Evil is my guess.
And that in one line is the Achilles heel of the 12c and my biggest complaint with it .
I would have gladly had the 25kg needed for a slippy diff .

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
And that in one line is the Achilles heel of the 12c and my biggest complaint with it .
I would have gladly had the 25kg needed for a slippy diff .
Drive with Traction Control partially off which will allow you to control your own throttle.

I think there is a lot more to LSD than 25kg - adding a component would mean moving the engine raising and extending the car etc.

It's a trade off and Mclaren IMO went the better route vs snap or when then the wheel with traction suddenly from excess power causes the car to fishtail.

I know you like that on the CGT but some of us like to live and drive another day :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Track/track
Manual pg 97-98

Wauw! Did anybody try this? Were you really able to dyno the car this way? It's a silly procedure but there could be lots of driving fun in there:) :) :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know you like that on the CGT but some of us like to live and drive another day :)
That's where I miss my Mustang supersnake. One could really take so much shorter turns a real blast

·
Registered
367 Posts
Wauw! Did anybody try this? Were you really able to dyno the car this way? It's a silly procedure but there could be lots of driving fun in there:) :) :)
I didn't try to dyno yet. The tech showed me the procedure, then drove like he was on ice. He did not show me my own car sideways on public roads ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unless the factory scan tool is available to also unlock dyno mode in the ECU, the car will go into a low power "limp mode" if two wheel dyno testing is attempted in the above setting.

That setting along with an all wheel drive dyno will allow full power testing, without the factory scan tool.

However, the car will be under a lot of load, since the front wheels and the associated dyno components will be spun only by the rear wheels, so proper strap down needs to happen or the rear tires will spin easy.

And proper high velocity fans must be placed all over the car to keep things cool, since no air is moving over the car.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Think I'd be having a word with Ron if that was my car ;)
Why Ron, don't you mean the dealer? Dealers do the updates, if the car was built before the Factory included the updates.

·
Owner
277 Posts
does the dyno tell you crank HP as well as wheel HP?
It just gives you wheel HP and each Dyno is different, then you can use a calculation to get crank HP generally 15% increase for 4 wheel drive and 12% for 2 wheel drive. So if your Dyno reads 400 hp at the wheels your crank would be 470 for 15% or 454 for 12% you take the Dyno number and Div. by .85 or ,88 to get your crank HP. Keep in mind it will never really be accurate it is good for bragging rights. The real use of the Dyno is to get a baseline before any Mods. then redo it after the Mods and the difference is your HP gain after the crank adjustment , so if you baseline at 400 HP then redo after Mods and have 420HP you take your 20 HP Div by .85 if 4 wheel dr and you get 23HP if your advertised HP is 500 you now have 523 . I hope that helps

1 - 20 of 21 Posts