McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
This is not the way to go, the doors should be open to whoever comes along as long as they respect the cars and the premises. This is how other dealers act "up themselves ". The foot fall in a dealership is hardly that great, they are not selling these by the 1000's. Mclaren PR bombs again, thats if they have a PR department.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I tend to agree - both McLaren Beverly Hills and McLaren San Francisco have very welcoming atmospheres which can only do good things for the brand.

I've heard that at One Hyde Park they are even stopping some people from taking photos through the window. That was a real surprise - and not necessarily the good kind. :(

>8^)
ER

·
Phil
241 Posts
I think it's unfair to criticise McLaren or the dealership for what is actually a courteous notice:

Remember that each dealership has had to invest millions in infrastructure yet will only receive a few cars each month at best until an expanded model line-up and vastly increased production volumes arrive in a few years.

Until then I think it's unrealistic to expect to see multiple sales & support staff at each location every working day, it would probably render dealerships non-viable at this early stage of their development.

So drop-in customers will on occasion see signs like this when the sales person is out on a test drive, customer visit or maybe even daring to grab a sandwich for lunch!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
At One Hyde Park the footfall is relentless and I have some sympathy with the staff who recognise that , my words, paying punters have to be given attention.

·
Phil
241 Posts
I've heard that at One Hyde Park they are even stopping some people from taking photos through the window. That was a real surprise - and not necessarily the good kind. :(

>8^)
ER
Now that would be crazy and illegal as when on the public highway in the UK one is free to observe and take pictures of anything that is in public view.

If an obstruction was being caused then it's possible that the local police would move people along in the interest of public safety. You're also not allowed to use tripods on the public highway in central London unless you have a permit...

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
This person was on the sidewalk in front of the building and tried to walk along one side to get a photo from a different angle. I believe they were stopped by security for the building and not anyone directly associated with the dealership itself.

Still - they made an obvious choice to put the showroom in an expensive and premiere location to get noticed. I understand it is a business, but there were other choices for the location if they wanted less of a crowd.

>8^)
ER

·
Phil
241 Posts
McLaren and their dealers definitely want all the publicity they can get for the MP4-12C and there was never an issue when they had an F1 on display in their previous London Park Lane 'Shop' so this alleged incident is a 'red herring' and should be disregarded...

·
Banned
111 Posts
This wouldn't happen in Monaco door always open even if it's a kid in a baseball hat you never know who they are, I understand there is a lot of tyre kickers buts it's also a tourist attraction you would think the concierge would say a few people at a time can have a look at the cars.

There should also be a person there to meet and greet and takes details and passed onto the sales team. 'sorry the sales team are not available if you would like a coffee and take a look round the car and I take your details and Get the sales director to contact you'

The trouble is mclaren make the cars and they are leaving the sales to to the individual dealers they have picked, so each dealership may not be the same, as mclaren f1cars were sold by mclaren themselves and slightly different as a hyper car.

remember there are other dealers to choose from.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds GREAT ((((((((:)

that bizz is up and go. In the few coming years McLaren is enlarging their customer base.

* MCL P11 Spider and a GTR 2012, 2013

* MCL P12 aka P799 and a GTR 2013, 2014

* MCL P13 spawns into a S and a Spider model 2014, 2015

* MCL P14 spawns into a Spider and a GT model 2015, 2016

* MCL P15 the replacement for the P11 at the end of 2017, 2018

McLaren needs to hire in the coming years. Everything is financed beyond 2025 :) On top of that.. McLaren think's about building their own F1 engines:p How great isn't that?? Because McLaren coming right at ya..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
When I visited One Hyde Park last month, there was a never-ending stream of noses pressed at the windows, so I have some sympathy with their "appointment only" policy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been to McLaren London and it is a tourist attraction.

If there was an open door there, the place would be constantly full. The staff would never have any time to assist customers.

Yes, it's great that there is that much attention but it would not be realistic to let everyone in.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
In the autum i rang for an appointment and got one the same day,even though i told them i had a car from Manchester,i couldnt make it ,but still had a very nice chat with Alistair.I think they are in a difficult postion with the site of the dealership,but with forthought you can get in.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Dum place to have a dealership imop- you cant park and it cannot be open to every numpty that wants to drool over the cars:D japanese tourists would spend all day with photo opportunuties and genuine customer s receive no attention:rolleyes:

A prestigous site certainly but a sensible choice definately not

·
Registered
296 Posts
Dum place to have a dealership imop- you cant park and it cannot be open to every numpty that wants to drool over the cars:D japanese tourists would spend all day with photo opportunuties and genuine customer s receive no attention:rolleyes:

A prestigous site certainly but a sensible choice definately not
You got that right.

I was there on a Sunday and the public at the window was 3 people deep, cars where even slowing down on the street to take pictures.
Great place if you just want a gallery, but for selling cars has to be nightmare.

BTW the Ferrari dealer down the road had 2 people outside ;)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Do Mclarens get sold from Showrooms? First 18 months of sales were sold from the dream/lust Showroom:D

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do Mclarens get sold from Showrooms? First 18 months of sales were sold from the dream/lust Showroom:D
Yes, Messrs Prost and Senna pre-sold them all many years ago, and Bruce himself before that. Bad Boy Lewis did his part in '08, but only the bling bling ones are credited to him.

Commission on mine should be paid out to C. Goodwin. A veritable paucity of CG videos, as of late. :(

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Seems like they have locked the doors and made visits an appointment only thing. Even the old McLaren F1 showroom on Park Lane was typically staffed with a receptionist who greeted guests long after McLaren had any F1s to sell. They stopped building F1s in 1998 and the showroom was finally shuttered in early 2004.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
600 Posts
Just heard entry to be allowed by passport only. No Japanese ,Germans or French apparently.:D Yanks encouraged:eek:

Japanese take too many photographs:D

Germans have enough of their own showrooms with Beemers and Mercs:rolleyes:

French have Sarkosy:mad::rolleyes::D

Yanks well I have a second home there:cool: and Dave likes them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts